It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Russia Is Back In Africa and Making Some Very Odd Deals

page: 1

join
share:

posted on May, 23 2018 @ 08:50 AM
link   
Hello ATS. I think this is an important development in World affairs. It seems that Russia is once again making inroads into Africa; a move which was halted after the collapse of the Soviet Union. In a nutshell, Russia is making deals with Rebels and political leaders in the C.A.R.(Central African Republic) which is a region rich in mineral and natural resources. Previously, this region has been dealing with French and US support, however, now Russia has gained permission from the UN to sell weapons and train soldiers in the CAR as well as provide security.

The President is also mistrustful of the Western military presence in the country. While the U.N. and Central African forces battle armed groups in the capital and further afield, the President’s team is more concerned with resisting the West. The international community’s support for Touadéra has been flagging due to the slow progress of the country’s reconstruction, and his cabinet has taken it to heart. One presidential adviser told Jeune Afrique that he thinks “westerners are able to organize the fall of Touadéra” and coyly indicated that the president is “conscious of the things that are being engineered against him.”

The situation is a win-win from Touadéra’s perspective: Russia gains regional influence and the President feels secure from the perceived threat of the U.N. But Touadéra may have more to fear from the Russians than he thinks. From January to March, Russian officials met with at least three major rebel leaders in the country. Two of them —Michel Djotodia, a former president of CAR; and Noureddine Adam, who leads the Renaissance of the Central African Republic group — are currently subject to sanctions from the United States and U.N. respectively for their roles in the 2013 coup d’état and subsequent reign of terror that brought about the country’s current humanitarian crisis. If the Russians are pinning their aspirations on Touadéra, then Moscow’s cooperation with the President’s enemies is strange indeed. It could be economics. Rebel groups control most of the country, including areas rich in oil, uranium, and diamonds. Indeed, Djotodia’s March meeting with the Russians reportedly concerned access to platinum and mercury deposits on his land. The Russian Ministry of Foreign Affairs released a statement indicating that Moscow intended to work with the government to secure mining concessions, but since Touadéra is unlikely to negotiate peace or retake the land outright, Russia may be attempting to acquire the resources it desires through other means.

On the other hand, Russia’s actions put it in a unique position to wield political influence in the country. By arming the country’s military, conducting business deals with rebel groups and ensuring the personal safety of the President, Russia can now pursue its interests, financial or otherwise, much more effectively. Unlike other actors in the region such as Rwanda or Chad, Russia’s engagement is independent of the U.N. and will have a freer hand to operate or play kingmaker if the peacekeeping mission withdraws.

China and Russia are both making major inroads into Africa; the Russian influence goes back as far as WW2 as I remember. I can't figure out why the US has been so slow to invest in Africa for all of its wealth of wildlife, resources, water, oil, and minerals. The US is losing its position as a world leader and this development doesn't help with that matter. So, with China and Russia teaming up and gobbling up resources in Africa the US might be left behind. My opinion. What says ATS?

www.defenseone.com...

posted on May, 23 2018 @ 08:56 AM
link   

originally posted by: lostbook

I can't figure out why the US has been so slow to invest in Africa for all of its wealth of wildlife, resources, water, oil, and minerals.

The U.S. has ruined enough countries already. Think they've enough of it or busy with someone else.

posted on May, 23 2018 @ 09:19 AM
link   

originally posted by: vinifalou

I can't figure out why the US has been so slow to invest in Africa for all of its wealth of wildlife, resources, water, oil, and minerals.

The U.S. has ruined enough countries already. Think they've enough of it or busy with someone else.

Hm.m.m.m.....So, do you think the US has spread itself too thin? Kinda' like what happened with the Roman Empire...?

posted on May, 23 2018 @ 11:39 AM
link   
Le the Russians go to south africa and take over. AT least then the white farmers will be protected again.

posted on May, 23 2018 @ 03:15 PM
link   

originally posted by: yuppa
Le the Russians go to south africa and take over. AT least then the white farmers will be protected again.

While I understand your frustrations especially if you are a white farmer in s Africa, the purpose of this thread is to look at the conspiracy angle of this development.

posted on May, 24 2018 @ 02:46 AM
link   
a reply to: yuppa

Quite a number of the Afrikaner farmers have actually left to go to Russia where they've been welcomed....unlike the rest of the West who pretend the don't exist

posted on May, 24 2018 @ 09:46 AM
link   
The Chinese are also investing heavily in parts of Africa. Maybe there's a connection. We'll have to wait and see what kind of influence these countries have on the region. I suspect it isn't out humanitarian reasons they are there. It'll just be rape and pillage like Europe did for centuries. Can't fault the USA this time.

posted on May, 24 2018 @ 08:34 PM
link   

While I understand your frustrations especially if you are a white farmer in s Africa, the purpose of this thread is to look at the conspiracy angle of this development.

Its a conspiracy the SA government is trying to kill them off.

posted on May, 24 2018 @ 08:48 PM
link   
Good, Africa needs development.

My good friend went to Senegal, great people, real Muslims, you won’t see any radical fundie Wahhabi nuts there( thank God)presently he is there, and he says if you think you knew poverty, think again, Africa is still far behind.

But the people there are great, kind and willing to learn

posted on May, 24 2018 @ 09:13 PM
link   

Its a conspiracy the SA government is trying to kill them off.

If what you say is true then that's important, but it's a different conspiracy from what i have intended for this thread. Do you have proof that they are trying to kill the White farmers off?

posted on May, 30 2018 @ 09:18 PM
link   
I would say let them do these things in Africa. That continent has been so messed up for centuries I don't see how it would be a long term benefit to either of them. African politics and the culture is very similar to the middle east. Many of these countries has been at war with each other for so long and for deeply rooted beliefs I think it is a time and money sink.

Also, to answer a question earlier, the US is spread too thin and has been for many years. It is still my belief that they need to really peel back their presence in the world and not necessarily move to a total isolationist stance but the days of us being all over the place needs to stop. The amount of money spent on foreign aid and propping up some of these failing nations is really maddening.

posted on May, 30 2018 @ 10:52 PM
link   

But why a conspiracy? You say the US is also or was doing the same, this is just another country doing the same thing, trying to get other countries into their side.

I don't see the conspiracy anywhere

top topics

join