It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

University of Utah "Cry Closet" lets students "just let it all out" during finals

page: 2
<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join
share:

posted on May, 22 2018 @ 12:29 PM
link   

edit on 22-5-2018 by Boomy327 because: Double post

posted on May, 22 2018 @ 12:32 PM
link   
I have to say I am pretty disgusted by some members posting on this thread already.....

posted on May, 22 2018 @ 12:32 PM
link   
At least someone gets it... very discouraging seeing people act like this on a site supposedly created to spread information and dispel ignorance. a reply to: OtherSideOfTheCoin

posted on May, 22 2018 @ 12:39 PM
link   
I’m the type of person to go in that closet, fart, then shut the door as I’m walking out.

posted on May, 22 2018 @ 12:39 PM
link   
Seems to me that using this closet in public might work or might backfire in it's effect on the user.

Might end up a research project.

One of the broken school issues is not trying to teach dealing with life issues and coping skills.

Not sure this one is a real solution.
edit on 5/22/2018 by roadgravel because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 22 2018 @ 12:40 PM
link   

originally posted by: OtherSideOfTheCoin
I have to say I am pretty disgusted by some members posting on this thread already.....

Me too.

But I expect it's for different reasons.

posted on May, 22 2018 @ 12:57 PM
link   
a reply to: underpass61

Congratulations, you just made a thread for people to whine and get all crybaby about someone doing something they don't even understand.

See your disconnect?

Talk about snowflakes....sad, really really sad many people tell me!!

edit on 22-5-2018 by olaru12 because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 22 2018 @ 01:00 PM
link   

originally posted by: Boomy327
I have an alternative perspective on this. It has nothing to do with "turning our young men into pussies" or whatever smut you people want to pedal. It has everything to do with the fact that our young people are BROKEN in every sense by this society. I just graduated college myself and let me tell you.... I absolutely needed a place to cry as well as destroy. It has been the utmost insane and difficult 5 years of my life.

People like you and the other first few posters absolutely contribute to this problem on a level you probably don't understand. Our whole education system is broken. On top of that our media and technology are influencing us damn near every second of every day. And then we have you guys over here calling us nancys because we need to cry.

5 people killed themselves at my college through the course of my education. The fact we need places to cry IS SAD. But it is sad because we are being put down, fundamentally broken, influenced, manipulated, etc by all of you and the world around us. Expressing emotion is not a bad thing and suppressing it like previous generations is what has got our world psyche to the #ed up place it's at.

Instead of poking fun try and use empathy. Try to understand that there is something really wrong if people are being broken by our schooling system to the point that they need 30 mins to scream and cry during finals week. There is something very very wrong.

That sounds real #ty...but on the other hand. I dunno....my school was intense. We started at 7 in the morning and went until about 5 or 6 in the afternoon, sometimes later. We had field work almost every day rain or shine. Exams almost weekly, we had to write and deliver 2 or 3 presentations a week, multiple small projects we'd be working on, one large independent project that made up a good chunk of our grade we had to present to a # ton of people at the end of the year. Mine and my project partner's ended up being published by the park we worked with. At the same time as this I worked evenings a few nights a week until about 10 pm. Pretty much everyone in my program did about the same thing and definitely worked just as hard.

Zero people killed themselves at my school during my time at school and we had zero crying closets. We had about 4 people drop out of the program though because the work was too intense.

Honestly as hard as all that was. Real life outside of school is far more difficult. Being in school felt like make believe land where reality didn't matter. All I know is if people can't make it through make believe school land how the # are they going to make it in real life afterwards?

The way I see it if you're in some kind of school you're paying for, you've chosen to be there and as hard as school is...once you finish...no one gives a # anymore. In school if you fail, you redo a course or a test, in real life you lose your home or you don't eat and there's no one telling you whether what you're doing is right or wrong or even a reasonable thing to do.

posted on May, 22 2018 @ 01:07 PM
link   

You know anxiety is a very real thing.

Its not about raising a generation of pu$$ies, its really quite a disturbing thing for any individual to go through.

In the past, the treatment for anxiety was to "man up" or just to "get a grip".

out in that scary place called "the real world", you either man up, or you don't, and those who don't, usually don't do well. You can't cry away the mortgage payment, or the grocery bill, you make things happen, even if they hurt. This is the message the pussies need, not a #ing crying closet.

posted on May, 22 2018 @ 01:07 PM
link   

originally posted by: underpass61

originally posted by: eNumbra
Yeah, don’t deal with stress; just bottle it up and let it fester into a mental illness like the rest of us.

Dealing with stress and bawling like a baby are two completely different things.

ETA: I would go so far as to say crying in a closet is a sure fire way of not dealing with stress. I'd bet a lot of school shooters did their share of crying in private. That's how things fester, in my unprofessional opinion anyway.

2 things

Crying when overwhelmed is a legitimate way to de-stress.
Not everyone deals with stress the same way.
But as you say, your opinion is an unprofessional one, so what would you know about it? you’d rather call them a baby for crying and likening them to school shooters.

posted on May, 22 2018 @ 01:09 PM
link   

originally posted by: network dude

You know anxiety is a very real thing.

Its not about raising a generation of pu$$ies, its really quite a disturbing thing for any individual to go through.

In the past, the treatment for anxiety was to "man up" or just to "get a grip".

out in that scary place called "the real world", you either man up, or you don't, and those who don't, usually don't do well. You can't cry away the mortgage payment, or the grocery bill, you make things happen, even if they hurt. This is the message the pussies need, not a #ing crying closet.

You realize that you can have a cry to deal with being overwhelmed, re-center yourself and deal with those problems right?
That it’s okay to have a range emotions.

posted on May, 22 2018 @ 01:10 PM
link   
a reply to: Boomy327

I fully understand. These kids are doing everything but dealing with stress. First world problems. At least they're not getting blown up by the Taliban or forced to live in a Chinese factory making IPhones for $5 a day. It's all a matter of perspective. Deal with it.

posted on May, 22 2018 @ 01:10 PM
link   
a reply to: Boomy327

I sense you aren't in the USMC. If I'm wrong, I apologize.

posted on May, 22 2018 @ 01:13 PM
link   
a reply to: eNumbra

Yes, I am aware that a "breakdown" can happen. Do that in front of your kids while you are trying to figure out how to feed them and pay the rent during the month and you will impress upon them just what that kind of mentality can do.

Or....

If you really need a good cry, do it in private, and when you are around people, don't act like you are trying to win WUSS of the year. Sympathy is rarely given in that situation and likely the cause of the ridicule that made you cry in the first place.

posted on May, 22 2018 @ 01:20 PM
link   

originally posted by: network dude

Yes, I am aware that a "breakdown" can happen. Do that in front of your kids while you are trying to figure out how to feed them and pay the rent during the month and you will impress upon them just what that kind of mentality can do.

Or....

If you really need a good cry, do it in private, and when you are around people, don't act like you are trying to win WUSS of the year. Sympathy is rarely given in that situation and likely the cause of the ridicule that made you cry in the first place.

This notion that it’s not okay to feel weak, to ever be vulnerable; is the definition of toxic, and is a pretty big contributor to this country’s mental health issues.
Now I don’t disagree that a public cry closet is stupid, which leans me towards this being an art project. And like any good art project it’s eliciting all sorts of responses from people.

posted on May, 22 2018 @ 01:27 PM
link   

the wonderful thing about all this, is you can do whatever you like. The only tricky part is, you have to live with the choices you made. So it behooves you to make good ones.

posted on May, 22 2018 @ 01:27 PM
link   
These kids are going to be surprised to find out that there are no"Crying Closets" in the buisness world.If they ever actually get a job.

posted on May, 22 2018 @ 01:36 PM
link   

originally posted by: TDawg61
These kids are going to be surprised to find out that there are no"Crying Closets" in the buisness world.If they ever actually get a job.

Bull sh!t, I see grown men crying like babies at the bar where the suits congregate, all the time; because of something that happened at the office, Or their wife left them for another woman..... Stupid drunks!

edit on 22-5-2018 by olaru12 because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 22 2018 @ 01:39 PM
link   
christ... generation of pussies....

im glad they werent the ones fighting in ww2

posted on May, 22 2018 @ 01:41 PM
link   

You're absolutely right about the mental health issues in this country.
Unfortunately this closet is an example of a symptom not a remedy.
We have weakened the minds of our children by not letting them experience failure, rejection and disappointment.
They have no experiences handling everyday pressures.

top topics

<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join