It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

University of Utah "Cry Closet" lets students "just let it all out" during finals

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on May, 22 2018 @ 11:56 AM
link   

SALT LAKE CITY -- A University of Utah student has created a space to help his peers cope with their testing anxiety - "The Cry Closet." CBS affiliate KUTV reports that the door on art student Nemo Miller's exhibit invites stressed-out students in for a quick 10-minute cry session during finals. "Just let it all out," university spokeswoman Jana Cunningham told the station. "Let yourself just get away from your studies for the next 10 minutes." KSL-TV reports Miller, a senior, created the 400-pound, stand-alone closet for students who need a "safe space sometimes, even if it's in a very public place."

CBS NEWS

Oh boy, this is how far we have sunk. Don't learn to cope just go cry it out.
They're gonna need a whole lot more of these in 2020.

+7 more 
posted on May, 22 2018 @ 11:59 AM
link   
We are raising another generation of pussy's.

posted on May, 22 2018 @ 12:00 PM
link   
People wonder why most countries don't take us seriously anymore, maybe it's because our younger generations are turning into #man #woman babies, sjw snowflakes, and gender confused tide pod eaters. May God have mercy cause nobody else will. SMH

posted on May, 22 2018 @ 12:01 PM
link   
Art student makes art exhibit on campus.
Good for her. =D

posted on May, 22 2018 @ 12:04 PM
link   
Whatever happened to smoking a doobie for a 'getaway'?

Cry babies gonna cry, I guess.

Sad

posted on May, 22 2018 @ 12:04 PM
link   
Yeah, don’t deal with stress; just bottle it up and let it fester into a mental illness like the rest of us.

posted on May, 22 2018 @ 12:05 PM
link   
a reply to: Elton

So it's "artistic" crying? That explains it.

link   
OMFG SMFH WTF ... the US does not have long for this world if this crap keeps up. If a student can’t even handle the “stress” of a few final exams, that they’ve been sitting in class learning about for either a semester or a year, how the hell do you handle life in general?

No wonder less than 20% of American males can even qualify for military service anymore. Snowflake universities, gym class in elementary/secondary school, one 45 min session a week, if that, zero education on handling conflict, and minimal, if any, parenting.

How do we fix this?!?

link   
Buuaaaaahahahsaaaaaaaa

posted on May, 22 2018 @ 12:08 PM
link   

originally posted by: underpass61

It is an art exhibit by an art student. Often artists attempt to mirror society. I guess I just don't see her project as anything but an art display. I certainly don't get offended or angry when a student does some work. Even if I think it is silly or nonsensical.

YMMV.

posted on May, 22 2018 @ 12:16 PM
link   

originally posted by: Elton

originally posted by: underpass61

It is an art exhibit by an art student. Often artists attempt to mirror society. I guess I just don't see her project as anything but an art display. I certainly don't get offended or angry when a student does some work. Even if I think it is silly or nonsensical.

YMMV.

Lol what the # kind of art is a crying closet?

posted on May, 22 2018 @ 12:17 PM
link   
a reply to: dug88

Modern art.
Meaning there are no standards.
Meaning it's not art.

posted on May, 22 2018 @ 12:20 PM
link   
I live walking distance from UVU. Now I know where to go when I want to be a little pansy. Funny how that never happens, but the more you know... the more you have been to college to learn exactly nothing.

posted on May, 22 2018 @ 12:20 PM
link   
a reply to: underpass61

Lmao, in my day it was called the bathroom

posted on May, 22 2018 @ 12:24 PM
link   

originally posted by: KTemplar
a reply to: underpass61

Lmao, in my day it was called the bathroom

So, it is an artsy outhouse. Hope the artist remembered the moon.

posted on May, 22 2018 @ 12:26 PM
link   
You know anxiety is a very real thing.

Its not about raising a generation of pu$$ies, its really quite a disturbing thing for any individual to go through.

In the past, the treatment for anxiety was to "man up" or just to "get a grip". I think when you look at the levels of suicide in the 18-28 age group then you can quiet clearly see that this "treatment" was never working, cronic anxiety is a horrible mental health condition that can easily be exacerbated when at college so taking steps to help students with anxiety has to be a good thing.

Now I personally don't think a "cry closest" is in anyway the right way to go about it, but at least they are doing something and using art as a expression of their attempts to help.

posted on May, 22 2018 @ 12:27 PM
link   

originally posted by: eNumbra
Yeah, don’t deal with stress; just bottle it up and let it fester into a mental illness like the rest of us.

Dealing with stress and bawling like a baby are two completely different things.

ETA: I would go so far as to say crying in a closet is a sure fire way of not dealing with stress. I'd bet a lot of school shooters did their share of crying in private. That's how things fester, in my unprofessional opinion anyway.
edit on 5 22 2018 by underpass61 because: (no reason given)

edit on 5 22 2018 by underpass61 because: added

posted on May, 22 2018 @ 12:28 PM
link   
They should call it the Pussy Chamber.

posted on May, 22 2018 @ 12:28 PM
link   
Double
edit on 22-5-2018 by skunkape23 because: double post

posted on May, 22 2018 @ 12:29 PM
link   
I have an alternative perspective on this. It has nothing to do with "turning our young men into pussies" or whatever smut you people want to pedal. It has everything to do with the fact that our young people are BROKEN in every sense by this society. I just graduated college myself and let me tell you.... I absolutely needed a place to cry as well as destroy. It has been the utmost insane and difficult 5 years of my life.

People like you and the other first few posters absolutely contribute to this problem on a level you probably don't understand. Our whole education system is broken. On top of that our media and technology are influencing us damn near every second of every day. And then we have you guys over here calling us nancys because we need to cry.

5 people killed themselves at my college through the course of my education. The fact we need places to cry IS SAD. But it is sad because we are being put down, fundamentally broken, influenced, manipulated, etc by all of you and the world around us. Expressing emotion is not a bad thing and suppressing it like previous generations is what has got our world psyche to the #ed up place it's at.

Instead of poking fun try and use empathy. Try to understand that there is something really wrong if people are being broken by our schooling system to the point that they need 30 mins to scream and cry during finals week. There is something very very wrong.

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join