Hello great people of ATS.
I wanted to share my observations on my saltwater fishes from the time I got them which was almost 2 years ago.
So; I have 2 blue tangs, 1 damsel and 2 parrot fishes. Its a 40 Gal tank and I switched it to a non coral state as I travel and in summers it gets
very hot destroying them. I built myself a cooler for the aquarium as well, but as it is DIY I don't trust it. For the ones who will say its a small
aquarium for this many fishes; well they are still small and the shape of the tank allows them to swim freely and not always interacting with each
You know we always heard bs like these guys have 3 seconds of memory or not feeling pain. Well as a kid I always thought it was the way they are.
Never had the chance to test it. Then of course; came the articles about how fish can be very intelligent, even some amazing facts like fishes can
talk to each other thru vibrations which can be heard with the use of some special microphones. Then the adulthood came and after 2 years of reading I
decided to go for a saltwater aquarium. I always had freshwater and planted ones.
Here are the facts I observed
- These guys can remember where they sleep if threathened they will directly go there. Its a place they are familiar and they know the road.
- When they see the food package from even 3 meters (I don't know how far they can see it thru the glass) they go hyper. They literally know which one
is the right pack btw. If you show them a bottle of beer; nothing happens.
- They definitely have a time sense/memory. I have an automat for feeding and close to that time, they go hang there.
- They know what sound is what. As every device creates a distinct sound when working, my automat gives them a distinct vibration and they know that
it is feeding time. They know the sound so they go there to feed before the food drops.
- The aquarium is in between my two work desk and I tend to sit there for most of the time. I realized these guys are really interested in me. Not the
parrot fish but the tangs come and hang around at that corner and really check me out. They lay there sometimes watching me, sometimes swimming but
still there. And when I turn my face to them; they know that I am looking at them. They give a little pulse like motion and start actively swimming at
- Sometimes tangs like to hide. And they watch me behind the rock. If I break the line of sight, they peek just a milimeter or two to catch that line
of sight. If I break it again, they again peek. Its like a peek-a-boo game.
- Lastly, from only that corner they slapsh water to me and the cleaning of the glass is what is left. They do it random I guess. But mainly its after
I feed them by hand. They do it from other parts of the cube when I am not at home which is a normal thing.
Not to drift to an advertisement of the aquarium I leave the topic without pics. Of course I can share them later if you guys want. Please share if
you have experiences like this with saltwater aquarium fishes =)
My conclusion; fishes are birds
edit on 22-5-2018 by belkide because: (no reason given)