It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

NEWS: Anorexia Bracelets Reveal Secret Society

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Feb, 18 2005 @ 08:41 PM
link   
An bracelet being worn by teens may be a sign that they belong to an underground society of anorexics and other forms of self abuse. Connections are built and maintained through the Internet. Red bracelets represent anorexia, purple is for bulimia and black and blue is for self injury, such as cutting and self mutilation. The bracelets are available for only $20.00.

news.yahoo.com
They look like any bracelet you might buy at the mall. You probably wouldn't even notice if your child started wearing one, but these are not just any bracelet.

They are a sign of membership in a disturbing world of underground Web sites, which connect people who share a dangerous passion.

"They are encouraging people to be ill and it's like a secret cult, a secret society. Word spreads around and people have a lingo now," said Lynne Grege of the National Eating Disorders Association.

The lingo includes nicknames like Ana and Mia. The cute names may sound innocent, but they aren't.

Please visit the link provided for the complete story.

Anorexia is a hideous disease that has effects far beyond just losing a little weight. We have an eating disorder unit at my hospital and we do take care of kids that get to the point of no return where no medical intervention can save them. its a very very sad process. These are often very bright, personable children that need help. The majority are female, but there seems to be an increasing number of male patients as well.

posted on Feb, 18 2005 @ 08:43 PM
link   
Is this anything like the so-called sex bracelets?

Weren't they shown to be an Urban Legend?

I could be wrong but it just sounds like a new twist on an old story

posted on Feb, 18 2005 @ 09:02 PM
link   
I don't mean to pick a side or anything... but there's one person who diagnosed this the best.. and that's Tupac Amaru Shakur..

[THUG LIFE = The Hate U Gave Little Infants Fu**s Everyone]

We're the cause of thousands if not millions of children hating themselves and you're asking why their like this?
if it isn't apparent, than obviously you haven't been outside, or your propaganda machine is or isn't doing its job...
Sure some people on this planet are weird... DEAL WITH IT.
If we keep running around this planet judging everything we come in contact with as a threat or 'not right' we're going to breed more children who blame themselves for the current state of affairs where-ever the childs life leads them which in turn just creates a cycle of events that benefits no one... The parents or people who care pay attention to the 'victim' which causes the person to worsen the self torturing because all they want is someone to care about themselves(not the victim)

Since we're all running around being selfless our children and youth see this, and begin to believe they should be as selfless if not more selfless... which is senseless.. Now-a-days we do things because we have to (selfless) not because we want to... This is breeding children who look up to that.
The problems that arise from this are endless..
and then mixing beliefs into that and more of lifes daily drama, like observing your parents going to work everyday, not because they enjoy it, but because they are forced. These children are finding their own way, their own religeon BECAUSE IT'S NOT FORCED, so they do something they CHOOSE to do.. which is mutilate themselves.. or injure themselves because this is the only thing that will grab peoples attention. They are trying to show you something, whether they realize it or not.

posted on Feb, 18 2005 @ 09:04 PM
link   
There's actually a website where they in some way support anorexia, bulimia, and self injry. I can't believe they have bracelets for such things. Look at the website that's included in the article, it'll seriously force you to re-think society and the younger generation.

posted on Feb, 18 2005 @ 09:09 PM
link   

Originally posted by Amuk
Is this anything like the so-called sex bracelets?

Weren't they shown to be an Urban Legend?

I could be wrong but it just sounds like a new twist on an old story

The so called sex bracelets do exist. There is someone at my health club who wears them and was really upset when my group of buddies had no idea why she was showing them off. Finally, she came over to us, explained each one, and said that we would never know what it was like, though as she walked away. It it was an urban legend, some people liked the idea and took it up.

posted on Feb, 18 2005 @ 11:02 PM
link   
Let's make a secret ATS bracelet for women and secret ATS ring for men. Seriously. But we need to make them classy looking.

posted on Feb, 18 2005 @ 11:31 PM
link   

Originally posted by Caldron of Hate
Let's make a secret ATS bracelet for women and secret ATS ring for men. Seriously. But we need to make them classy looking.

:shk:

posted on Feb, 18 2005 @ 11:37 PM
link   
Let me guess dnero6911... you have one of these bracelets?

posted on Feb, 18 2005 @ 11:45 PM
link   
I had never heard of Sex Bracelets until reading this thread

I work with people who wear these and see loads of others wearing them too.!!!

Gonna look at these people in a whole differant light now

I need to get out more !!

posted on Feb, 19 2005 @ 12:30 AM
link   
Why would you need a bracelet to show your a cutter?

I can't speak for people with eating disorders but I was a cutter for 10 years and I have all the proof I need in the form of about a hundred scars running the length of the top and underside of my arms.

When I was doing it I never advertised the fact. After a bout of cutting my arms would look like I had a fight with barbed wire fencing and would take a month to heal. I'd be embarresed to go in public. I haven't cut for over a year since I was diagnosed and treated for bipolar disorder and I get to look at those scars all the time and get asked If I got in a motorcycle accident or something.

Through my working with other mentally ill people and teenagers especially I've learned cutting and pain for some groups are apparently cool now. Kids do it to try to fit in. Theres whole chatrooms for it on Yahoo with kids going into detail of their mutilation. There are two types of cutters IMO, the people who do it as a result of mental illness, I did it as a way to punish myself, fight pain with pain so to speak. And those who scratch their arm and say "I'm a cutter!" These people are crying out for attention more than anything else and if these bracelets do exist, (I haven't seen any in my work) then what better way to be part of a clique.

Sad stuff that in the times we live in people have to starve or hurt themselves to feel they belong. And then they only "belong" to a group that encourages this activity. If these bracelets do exist then someone is cashing in on these peoples suffering. Sick.

[edit on 19-2-2005 by Veltro]

posted on Feb, 19 2005 @ 01:31 AM
link   
I took a look at the site and this looks like the dark underbelly of capitalism and is an even worse an example than this goofball who wants people to pay him not to eat is pet rabbit.

www.savetoby.com...

[edit on 05/2/19 by GradyPhilpott]

posted on Feb, 19 2005 @ 06:41 AM
link   

Originally posted by Mindwalker
Gonna look at these people in a whole differant light now

I think that the people behind these stories want exactly that, that the other people start looking at the ones using, in this case bracelets, in a different way.

Maybe tomorrow they say the same about people using some brand of shoes or about people who use some kind of hair style.

posted on Feb, 19 2005 @ 08:48 AM
link   
Next thing we are going to hear is that shoes handing from telephone lines is where you can buy crack.

I think this is bogus

Btw, how many points does it cost for an ATS ring? or bracelet?

posted on Feb, 19 2005 @ 09:18 AM
link   
500,000 for a ring , 1,000,000 for a bracelet.

But we need red for skeptics, blue for NWO types etc etc.

posted on Feb, 19 2005 @ 12:01 PM
link   

Originally posted by CmptrN3rd5
Let me guess dnero6911... you have one of these bracelets?

No, far from it.. I simply understand the problem..

new topics

top topics

join