It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

The US has had 57 times as many school shootings as other major industrialized nations combined

page: 5
<< 2  3  4    6  7  8 >>

join
share:

posted on May, 22 2018 @ 11:06 AM
link   
a reply to: Somethingsamiss

Semantics. Ok I'll play. There have been two school shooting that I can name off the top of my head that happened this year where nearly 30 kids were shot and killed and it's only May.

What would you consider a school shooting?

posted on May, 22 2018 @ 11:12 AM
link   

originally posted by: Aazadan

originally posted by: bigfatfurrytexan
a reply to: Aazadan

Maybe.

Will there be more stabbings, bludgeonings, and beatings?

Probably. But those are also less deadly.

There have been 57 school shootings in the US this year. If you exclude a bunch of them as the gun rights folks would like to do, that number falls down to 8, and casualties themselves were in 5 events with 31 total killed (26 being students). If they had knives rather than guns, how many would have died? I suspect it would be less than 6 people per event on average.

At the same time though, we're talking about fewer than 100 students per year out of a population of about 90 million students. The numbers are not all that high to begin with.

If you are going with the "57 shootings this year" nonsense, im not sure we can even find a common language with which to discuss this topic.

posted on May, 22 2018 @ 11:13 AM
link   
a reply to: conspiracy nut

Gun owners, who are lame,ignorant and irresponsible parents, should be culpable, when their kids use their guns to kill and harm others. Don't lump all parents, who are gun owners, with these moronic parents. Most of us responsible gun owners, who are also parents, keep our guns locked up, with our keys hidden and teach our kids to respect others and the law of the land.

posted on May, 22 2018 @ 11:20 AM
link   
a reply to: shawmanfromny

I'm all for responsible gun owners but look around you, America has a disproportionate number of irresponsible people running around.

posted on May, 22 2018 @ 11:22 AM
link   

If you are going with the "57 shootings this year" nonsense, im not sure we can even find a common language with which to discuss this topic.

I'm not, that's why I narrowed it down to 8, and from there to 5.

posted on May, 22 2018 @ 11:23 AM
link   
a reply to: shawmanfromny

I agree with you, parents who leave firearms lying around their home for children to find or use without a parent supervising, should be made an example of in my opinion.
edit on 22-5-2018 by Kurokage because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 22 2018 @ 11:24 AM
link   
a reply to: conspiracy nut

Any shooting that takes place while school is in session with the faculty and student's being the gunmans targets.

As i said before. We have a problem and need to fix it. But not by using statistical parameters to pull on the emotions of the uninformed. Thats like saying mcdonalds causes heart attacks and the parameters covers anyone who has driven past one of their restaurants. We know eating to much and to often from McDonald's potentially lead to a heart attack so why cast such a wide net?

We know theres a problem without these added parameters.

posted on May, 22 2018 @ 11:27 AM
link   
a reply to: Somethingsamiss

Its what they did with the brady bill, took the accepted definition of children being birth to 18 and expanded it to the maximum age you can stay on your parents insurance so the numbers would better support their argument.

posted on May, 22 2018 @ 11:28 AM
link   
Lets ask ourselves what has changed , I'm 49 and growing up theses things never happened whats different in today's generations and whats different in America ? Well for starters Americans are better off then most other Countries this allows us to provide the Internet to our young children they become addicted to it Via phones and computers and become isolated , Nowadays all they want to do is Isolate themselves in their rooms with the thoughts in their heads and if they suffer from any mental illness known or unknown it just gets worse and worse , When we were kids we were out and about , The kids today don't want to learn to ride a bike drive a car or go outside for that matter .

posted on May, 22 2018 @ 11:40 AM
link   
a reply to: Gargoyle91

Yup and parents don't want to let their kids play outside anymore perhaps rightfully so with all the guns and drugs out there and whatnot. Top that with the fact mom and dad are only having one or two kids there are not enough siblings around to play the safety in numbers game.

The ego has gotten out of control and now kids are using the bully excuse to come back and shoot up schools. I have been noticing this since the 90's kids can't take a beating from one on one fight their egos get shattered and they have to come back w more kids to jump or a weapon of some sort to "get even".

Terrible. Not sure how we reverse these issues.

posted on May, 22 2018 @ 11:45 AM
link   
a reply to: Aazadan

I dunno....we are talking about kids. They wouldn't go in with knives. These black trenchcoat wearing weirdos would probably go in with katanas. Maybe crossbows. Were i wanting to kill people en masse i'd probably use a slingshot with ball bearings. Silent and accurate....and incredibly deadly. In a crowd of people, by the time anyone figures out what is going on a dozen folks are already dead.

Maybe im just sick and twisted...but I can certainly think of ways to kill people that are still pretty effective, and cause much, much more carnage and pain. Because I still assert that dying by gun shot is better than dying by being bludgeoned in the face.

posted on May, 22 2018 @ 11:56 AM
link   
a reply to: bigfatfurrytexan

Those examples also all require much more skill to use, not to mention happen in more limited circumstances. You can't just point in a classroom in the middle of the day, pull a trigger, shoot people, and move on to the next room.

posted on May, 22 2018 @ 12:00 PM
link   
a reply to: bigfatfurrytexan

Where there's a will there's a way. Heck a 4 cylindar engine has a whole lot more potential energy than any gun in the general public. For that matter a gallon of gas for 4 bucks could burn alotta people with a whole lot more shock.

posted on May, 22 2018 @ 12:16 PM
link   

originally posted by: conspiracy nut
a reply to: UnBreakable

So how did all the kids that did all the school shootings get their guns? The kid in Florida was living w his friends pro gun pro trump parents who were cool w his gun obsession, I wonder if the Texas kids parents had pro gun and pro trump racist Nazi leanings, the apple rarely falls far from the tree. Where are these kids parents when their kid is going to school wearing Nazi embls and trenchcoats all year round in Texas weather?

So you’re politizing this? Ok. More people have died in Chicago shootings this year than died in school shootings. Chicago, also a sanctuary city, is run by Dem mayor Rahm Emmanual, an Obama accolyte. I can guaranty that 99% of the Chicago shooters aren’t Trump supporters.

posted on May, 22 2018 @ 12:23 PM
link   

posted on May, 22 2018 @ 12:34 PM
link   

Those are gangbangers killing gangbangers school shooters go out of their way to kill innocent human beings a better comparison would be suicide bombers and 9 times out of 10 their parents agree w their ideology, apple not falling far from the tree. I didn't mean to call out your dear fuhrer my point was that these idiots and the gangbangimg idiots are highly impressionable and 9 times out of 10 learned their ideology from an older relative (parent) or peer. It is a fair comaprison although when we ask, Where are the gangbangers parents? Where are the mass shooters parents?
edit on 22-5-2018 by conspiracy nut because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 22 2018 @ 12:43 PM
link   
Is there a place that lists each 288 shootings, or does that not matter? When CNN listed one of their school shootings as a kid popping another with a BB gun or a security guard accidently shooting himself I need to see the actual list.

posted on May, 22 2018 @ 12:45 PM
link   

Maybe im just sick and twisted...but I can certainly think of ways to kill people that are still pretty effective, and cause much, much more carnage and pain. Because I still assert that dying by gun shot is better than dying by being bludgeoned in the face.

Just wait until 1400 kids leave school as a mass gaggle and run them over...doesn't matter the weapon, what matters is why does a person chose to kill in the first place.

posted on May, 22 2018 @ 12:51 PM
link   
Wow. If only ATSers would spend as much time defending kids as they do guns. The world would be a better place.

posted on May, 22 2018 @ 01:12 PM
link   

originally posted by: JinMI
a reply to: Southern Guardian

So how would you, SG, handle this?

More laws? (Murder, discharging a weapon, having a weapon in school are already illegal)

More checks and balances? (See US debt)

Perhaps just straight up confiscation?

I would say more guns laws are needed because the ones in place are working so well. Yes, that was sarcasm.

I would like to see the statics that shows shootings in locations with a 'Gun Free Zone' sign posted and a locations that doesn't have the sign posted.

new topics

top topics

<< 2  3  4    6  7  8 >>

join