It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

The US has had 57 times as many school shootings as other major industrialized nations combined

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:
+9 more 
posted on May, 22 2018 @ 06:25 AM
link   

Fake news right? Propaganda right? What else?

It's our population right? 320 million people?

Canada 38 million, Japan 127 million, France 66 million, Germany 81 million, The UK (England) 63 million, Italy 61 million.
A combined total of 436 million people

No no, it must be our major cities and areas with more people per capita!

The United States: 87.4 people per square mile. The United Kingdom: 650 people per square mile.

Let's get into social matters here! It's feminism! Those damn single mothers with no fathers in the picture!

United States: 23% of children raised by single mothers
The United Kingdom: 26% of children raised by single mothers.

It's those violent video games!
Countries that play more violent video games such as Grand Theft Auto and Call of Duty have FEWER murders

Japan is number one in violent video game sales. The United States is third in the world.

By golly! They just don't have God and religion in their lives!

The United States has 230 million self identified Christians, the largest in the world.. 71% of the population. In contrast Germany has 59% self identified Christians, totalling 47 million.

It's depression and them pills! It's turning them kids hostile!

The United Kingdom and Australia rank the highest for diagnosed clinical depression. The United States sits well below.

The truth is damning.

How about that truth?
The United States, number 1 for gun possession and that's 89 guns for 100 residents followed by Yemen with 55 guns for 100 residents.

Tell me again how guns aren't the problem?

edit on 22-5-2018 by Southern Guardian because:

+31 more 
posted on May, 22 2018 @ 06:30 AM
link   
a reply to: Southern Guardian

Is this the stat that includes people who were shot near schools? And the guys who shot themselves at empty schools? And firearm misfires that had no injuries. Statistics are easily manipulated. Just like you.

Hashmi and others who called the statistic into question had a point. When we looked into it, we found that although all the incidents involved the firing of weapons on school grounds, some bore little resemblance to what most of us would think of when we hear that a school shooting has taken place. Two were solely suicides, for example (one of which Everytown retracted on 15 February after the Washington Post pointed out that it occurred at a school that had been closed for several months). Three involved the accidental firing of a weapon. Eight resulted in no injuries. Only seven were intentional shootings that occurred during normal school hours.

edit on 22-5-2018 by Woodcarver because: (no reason given)

So it seems this stat is inflated by a lot? Were you aware of that when you posted this? Because it really does look likefake news when you look at each incident individually.
edit on 22-5-2018 by Woodcarver because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 22 2018 @ 06:32 AM
link   
When school shootings hit mass proportions ...

Either declare anarchy or take the toys away from the kiddies for the betterment of all.

No more counting to 5.
Pfft.
edit on 22-5-2018 by Timely because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 22 2018 @ 06:36 AM
link   

So how would you, SG, handle this?

More laws? (Murder, discharging a weapon, having a weapon in school are already illegal)

More checks and balances? (See US debt)

Perhaps just straight up confiscation?

posted on May, 22 2018 @ 06:36 AM
link   
a reply to: Woodcarver

Sheer numbers speak for themselves.

+9 more 
posted on May, 22 2018 @ 06:37 AM
link   

This is discriminatory against gay nightclubs and public open spaces and bridges and softball pitches.

Why are the lives of schoolchildren so much more valuable than gays or pedestrians when it comes to gun violence?

I sense an ulterior motive to play on emotions instead of facts.

-How many of the shooters who targeted schools were on pharmaceuticals? Where is that statistic?

-How many of the shooters who targeted schools posted warning signs on social media and were subsequently ignored?

-If all guns suddenly disappeared, will the motivation(s) which causes indiscriminate killings also disappear? - No they won't, so tell me again why guns are the problem?
edit on 22/5/2018 by Sublimecraft because: spacings

+1 more 
posted on May, 22 2018 @ 06:38 AM
link   

originally posted by: Southern Guardian

Fake news right? Propaganda right? What else?

It's our population right? 320 million people?

Canada 38 million, Japan 127 million, France 66 million, Germany 81 million, The UK (England) 63 million, Italy 61 million.
A combined total of 436 million people

No no, it must be our major cities and areas with more people per capita!

The United States: 87.4 people per square mile. The United Kingdom: 650 people per square mile.

Let's get into social matters here! It's feminism! Those damn single mothers with no fathers in the picture!

United States: 23% of children raised by single mothers
The United Kingdom: 26% of children raised by single mothers.

It's those violent video games!
Countries that play more violent video games such as Grand Theft Auto and Call of Duty have FEWER murders

Japan is number one in violent video game sales. The United States is third in the world.

By golly! They just don't have God and religion in their lives!

The United States has 230 million self identified Christians, the largest in the world.. 71% of the population. In contrast Germany has 59% self identified Christians, totalling 47 million.

It's depression and them pills! It's turning them kids hostile!

The United Kingdom and Australia rank the highest for diagnosed clinical depression. The United States sits well below.

The truth is damning.

How about that truth?
The United States, number 1 for gun possession and that's 89 guns for 100 residents followed by Yemen with 55 guns for 100 residents.

Tell me again how guns aren't the problem?

So this gun walks into a bar....no wait....guns cant walk!

Where is the stat about how all the people who shot up schools would never have been violent without a gun?

And let me know when you compare it to those that die of hunger daily around the world.

But yeah...let's get so upset over a less than 100 deaths per year for a specific reason in the US....because the US is ALL that matters.

edit on 5/22/18 by Vasa Croe because: (no reason given)

+7 more 
posted on May, 22 2018 @ 06:40 AM
link   

More of this morose comparing of gun stats between a nation where guns are legal vs not legal, and pretending it says something.

If course a nation where guns are legal will see more gun use. Why do people keep pointing this out like its never been noticed before?

+2 more 
posted on May, 22 2018 @ 06:40 AM
link   

originally posted by: Timely

Sheer numbers speak for themselves.
inflated numbers say that someone is pushing an agenda.

+1 more 
posted on May, 22 2018 @ 06:41 AM
link   
Guns have never been the issue and never will be. People are too stupid to realize that society is the reason why there are so many mass shootings since 2009. Consider the comparison pre-1999 and 2009-today. BIG difference with how people are taught and what they are told to accept and behave.

Parents are not being held accountable or even blamed for their children's actions in today's society. It is always "someone elses" fault.

OP - Go ahead and blame guns. You will be among the same population that plays the victim card instead of accepting responsibility and realizing that it takes a persons state of mind to use a weapon to kill.

If guns were banned. It would be knives, bats, machetes, cross bows, bombs, grenades, IEDs. < Pick your poison. If a broken home kid wants to kill, he/she will. NO ONE tried to FIX THE KIDS.

posted on May, 22 2018 @ 06:43 AM
link   

There is a definite ripple in the time space continuum...

+4 more 
posted on May, 22 2018 @ 06:44 AM
link   
I really cannot express how truly inane it is to post gun stats for a bunch of nations like China, where guns are illegal with inhumane treatment as part of a stiff penalty, againt tye US and pretend that the comparison is in anyway valid.

Might as well decry the tropical fruit production of iceland compared to equitorial nations, for all the sense it makes

Figures dont lie....but liars can figure.

posted on May, 22 2018 @ 06:45 AM
link   

originally posted by: Timely
When school shootings hit mass proportions ...

Either declare anarchy or take the toys away from the kiddies for the betterment of all.

No more counting to 5.
Pfft.

I'd combat the issue that is making these people first. As has been said and noted before, they will find some way. Perhaps it is more to do with the America school system, than anything else.

.. at least when discussing school shootings.

posted on May, 22 2018 @ 06:47 AM
link   
a reply to: WarPig1939

Indeed. Just look at the increase in vehicual terror ( or whatever ) attacks.

It is a reminder that homicide is part of our lives.

Sad yet, seemingly, true.

posted on May, 22 2018 @ 06:48 AM
link   
a reply to: bigfatfurrytexan

Whatever it takes to reinforce the media narrative. You know, where the problem started!

What really gets me is the folks who want stricter gun regulations are the same ones who tout the current administration as fascist or authoritarian.

+3 more 
posted on May, 22 2018 @ 06:55 AM
link   

Stats can be misleading. Guns have been in America since the beginning, so why hasn't it always been a problem? You don't think things like culture have anything to do with the issue at all?

posted on May, 22 2018 @ 07:00 AM
link   

I would like to point out that OP has posted and run. I assume they will not be a part of this convo anymore than posting some bull# and not accounting for any of the rebuttals that have been brought forth, showing that this info is not only inflated to push an agenda of gun confiscation, but also to push the blame away from things like anti-depression meds and the media pushing their identity politics to divide us into neat little groups to have us bickering at eachother.

posted on May, 22 2018 @ 07:02 AM
link   
The gun grabbing agenda by the left has always been more about "control" than keeping people safe.

That is my opinion.
edit on 22-5-2018 by WarPig1939 because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 22 2018 @ 07:03 AM
link   
Brah,if the first 56 times the number of shootings, didn't change a gawddamn thing a 57 58, 59, 60?? Won't do it either..I consigned myself that this is the normal..tThis is America
Look at how I'm livin' now
Police be trippin' now (woo)
Yeah, this is America (woo, ayy)
Guns in my area (word, my area)
I got the strap (ayy, ayy)
I gotta carry 'em
Yeah, yeah, I'ma go into this (ugh)
Yeah, yeah, this is guerilla (

Read more: Childish Gambino - This Is America Lyrics | MetroLyrics
www.metrolyrics.com...

edit on 22-5-2018 by Spider879 because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 22 2018 @ 07:04 AM
link   
This is lamer than the fake Hillary polls.

How are you going to "guard the south" without guns?

-More stern, emotional blogging?

Good luck with that.

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join