It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Teen must pay nearly $37M for starting Oregon wildfire, judge rules...

page: 2
<< 1    3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on May, 21 2018 @ 11:45 PM
link   

originally posted by: TheLotLizard

originally posted by: EternalSolace

originally posted by: Ghostsinthefog
Thats really kinda of sad. To end a boys life before it started.

If a kid goes on a murder spree should he be coddled because he’s 15 years old and doesn’t know any better?

He’s lucky no one was killed. I would have said charge him with murder.

Homicide is equivalent to accident.... better watch yourself. You may accidentally commit capital murder next time you toss a cigarette out the window.

Saying this was an accident is dumb as #. The firework didn’t light itself did it?

There are plenty of people charged with starting fires and getting charged with murder/attempted murder. Would you like me to start linking some?

And saying the teen intentionally caused 36+ million in damages is equally stupid. Should I start linking accidental fires in which no charges were filed?

posted on May, 21 2018 @ 11:46 PM
link   

If you’re stupid enough to use fireworks in the forest. Especially stupid enough to throw fireworks out of a vehicle in the forest you deserve to get the book thrown at you.

So yes a juvenile is 100% responsible for his actions and should be held accountable for every single penny. But In reality he will pay likely around $3000 which is bull#.

Olson added that payments could be halted after 10 years as long as the teen complies, finishes probation and doesn't commit other crimes. State law allows the Oregon Department of Revenue to garnishee the teen's bank accounts or paychecks. If he's due refunds on his tax returns, the state could take those. If he wins the lottery, the state also could collect all of his winnings.

All the little s##t has to to is not get a job for 10 years and he doesn’t have to spend a single p

Not get a job until he's 25... did you even read what you wrote? Yeah...

I know hundreds of people without jobs that are over 25. Your point?

So you're the acquaintance of hundreds of dead beat losers... you should be taken seriously why?

It’s called being a youth counselor. You know a job where I’m to talk to hundreds of young adults each year? Are you making up accusations as you go along or what? You don’t seem to be able to thing two steps ahead.

posted on May, 21 2018 @ 11:48 PM
link   

If you’re stupid enough to use fireworks in the forest. Especially stupid enough to throw fireworks out of a vehicle in the forest you deserve to get the book thrown at you.

So yes a juvenile is 100% responsible for his actions and should be held accountable for every single penny. But In reality he will pay likely around $3000 which is bull#.

Olson added that payments could be halted after 10 years as long as the teen complies, finishes probation and doesn't commit other crimes. State law allows the Oregon Department of Revenue to garnishee the teen's bank accounts or paychecks. If he's due refunds on his tax returns, the state could take those. If he wins the lottery, the state also could collect all of his winnings.

All the little s##t has to to is not get a job for 10 years and he doesn’t have to spend a single p

So you're the acquaintance of hundreds of dead beat losers... you should be taken seriously why?

It’s called being a youth counselor. You know a job where I’m to talk to hundreds of young adults each year? Are you making up accusations as you go along or what? You don’t seem to be able to thing two steps ahead.

So you see hundreds of teenagers without a job or career, claim to be an advocate of such teenagers, then can't find the empathy to recognize this one teen's mistakes, out of the hundreds you claim to have seen, and give some understanding?

You're a liar.
edit on 5/21/2018 by EternalSolace because: Edit

edit on 5/21/2018 by EternalSolace because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 21 2018 @ 11:48 PM
link   

If a kid goes on a murder spree should he be coddled because he’s 15 years old and doesn’t know any better?

Homicide is equivalent to accident.... better watch yourself. You may accidentally commit capital murder next time you toss a cigarette out the window.

Saying this was an accident is dumb as #. The firework didn’t light itself did it?

There are plenty of people charged with starting fires and getting charged with murder/attempted murder. Would you like me to start linking some?

And saying the teen intentionally caused 36+ million in damages is equally stupid. Should I start linking accidental fires in which no charges were filed?

An accident is a stray ember getting away from a campfire.

Throwing a firework from a moving vehicle while fire bans are in effect is the furthest thing from an “accident”

posted on May, 21 2018 @ 11:51 PM
link   

So you see hundreds of teenagers without a job or career, claim to be an advocate of such teenagers, then can't find the empathy to recognize this one teen's mistakes, out of the hundreds you claim to have seen, and give some understanding?

You're a liar.

I’m a liar for believing that a human being is accountable for their actions? Wth do you think I do each day?

posted on May, 21 2018 @ 11:51 PM
link   
I'm not sure that's an effective punishment at all..

Sure, it might feel "good" in the vindictive sense, but it may have just created someone who turns to a life of crime, and does it intelligently. There are plenty of other reasons this just doesn't seem like the best choice to me.

I think it'd be more effective to dictate how the money is earned and then set a limit that is reasonable, but will never be "let go." Maybe have him work it off through everything from fire cleanup to repairing/building structures that were consumed by the fire.

I think that would work one multiple levels. It'd make the damage more "real," tangible, and meaningful as well as providing some skills training in various fields, etc. If the kid also has to do these things while interacting with folks that are affected by such fires, it can make an impact there as well.
edit on 21-5-2018 by Serdgiam because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 21 2018 @ 11:52 PM
link   

Throwing a firework from a moving vehicle while fire bans are in effect is the furthest thing from an “accident”

An accident is also setting off a smoke bomb for personal amusement without the intention or recognition of what's being done.

Hence the term accident. Thank god you weren't the judge. They'd be under lethal injection.

posted on May, 21 2018 @ 11:55 PM
link   
I'm fairly certain that it will not impede his ability to go to college, work, find a trade, etc, rent a place. But it will leave him without a 60" flat screen, 3 consoles, parties every weekend, and being a prat.

Some of you make it sound like they're going to have him on food stamps.

They should do this more often to idiots that do idiotic things for fun that potentially cause loss of life, and indeed put people fixing it, at risk.

posted on May, 22 2018 @ 12:02 AM
link   

An accident is also setting off a smoke bomb for personal amusement without the intention or recognition of what's being done.

Hence the term accident. Thank god you weren't the judge. They'd be under lethal injection.

He threw a firework out the window...you know, a thing with a fuse that burns into dry grass, needles and leaves.That is the FURTHEST thing from an accident

How about you smoke a cigarette while you handle gasoline so you can claim it’s an accident when it ignites.

posted on May, 22 2018 @ 12:05 AM
link   

originally posted by: SummerRain
I'm fairly certain that it will not impede his ability to go to college, work, find a trade, etc, rent a place. But it will leave him without a 60" flat screen, 3 consoles, parties every weekend, and being a prat.

They should do this more often to idiots that do idiotic things for fun that potentially cause loss of life, and indeed put people fixing it, at risk.

You're poorly mistaken. Have you taken a look at wage garnishment laws? Particularly for Washington State?

Limits on Wage Garnishment in Washington There are limits to how much money can be garnished from your paycheck. The idea is that you should have enough left to pay for living expenses. Federal law places limits on wage garnishment amounts. However, Washington imposes even stricter limits. This means that in Washington, the most that can be garnished from your wages is: 25% of your weekly disposable earnings, or your weekly disposable earnings less 35 times the federal minimum hourly wage (35 x $7.25 = $253.75). whichever is less.

Washington Wage Garnishment Law

So in effect, considering how damn expensive it is to live in Washington's populated areas... yes this teen is on foodstamps, section 8, and every government handout he can manage until he's 25. This sends a liberals wetdream for a message of dependence on government and essentially ensure this teen reaches his early 30's with absolutely no skill aside from the amount of pickles you wanted on your burger and 6% sales tax which a calc does for them.

You're wrong.

posted on May, 22 2018 @ 12:06 AM
link   

You're poorly mistaken. Have you taken a look at wage garnishment laws? Particularly for Washington State?

Limits on Wage Garnishment in Washington There are limits to how much money can be garnished from your paycheck. The idea is that you should have enough left to pay for living expenses. Federal law places limits on wage garnishment amounts. However, Washington imposes even stricter limits. This means that in Washington, the most that can be garnished from your wages is: 25% of your weekly disposable earnings, or your weekly disposable earnings less 35 times the federal minimum hourly wage (35 x $7.25 = $253.75). whichever is less.

So in effect, considering how damn expensive it is to live in Washington's populated areas... yes this teen is on foodstamps, section 8, and every government handout he can manage until he's 25. This sends a liberals wetdream for a message of dependence on government and essentially ensure this teen reaches his early 30's with absolutely no skill aside from the amount of pickles you wanted on your burger and 6% sales tax which a calc does for them.

You're wrong.

Great thing this happened in Oregon then right?

posted on May, 22 2018 @ 12:06 AM
link   

He threw a firework out the window...you know, a thing with a fuse that burns into dry grass, needles and leaves.That is the FURTHEST thing from an accident

How about you smoke a cigarette while you handle gasoline so you can claim it’s an accident when it ignites.

And throwing a lit cigarette out the window, with an on fire end, into grass, needles, and leaves....

We let that crap go.... so a teen with a smoke bomb? Yeah...

posted on May, 22 2018 @ 12:10 AM
link   

You're wrong.

Great thing this happened in Oregon then right?

From what I've read, he lives in Washington State. and as such, is susceptible to their laws regarding wage garnishment.
edit on 5/22/2018 by EternalSolace because: (no reason given)

The 15-year-old from Vancouver, Washington, earlier this year acknowledged wrongdoing and said he threw two fireworks in Eagle Creek Canyon on Sept. 2 when flames spread quickly. The fire caused evacuations, an extended shutdown of a major interstate highway and devastation to a major outdoor tourist attraction.

Teen ordered to pay $37M for starting Oregon wildfire
edit on 5/22/2018 by EternalSolace because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 22 2018 @ 12:32 AM
link   
I hope you realize a smoke bomb can ignite objects easier than a cigarette right?

posted on May, 22 2018 @ 12:35 AM
link   
a reply to: EternalSolace

Either way it was ruled, it still Jumped Columbia River Gorge from Oregon to the Washington side, affecting both states.

When you take into consideration those risks, the damage done with recovery still underway, one might see the judgement not being that unfair. I'm one the fence, especially with my situation considering a family member helped to put out that fire, including all the volunteers risking their lives.

Of course no amount of money will cover loss of lives for his stupid action if lives were lost. Others may think twice now if intentionally playing with fire during our dry season. Being the kid is from a immigrant family, which that yes may have issues paying for what he did monetary wise. As mentioned at least for now, the payments he's been ordered to pay can be halted for ten years if under compliance.

posted on May, 22 2018 @ 12:55 AM
link   
Thats a lot of newspapers and lawns.

posted on May, 22 2018 @ 01:11 AM
link   
Good. It's a 37 million dollar licence.

He's not meant to pay it all. It's losing 10 years of pocket money. Be naughty again, it's time out. Likely forever with a price tag like that following him around.

posted on May, 22 2018 @ 01:14 AM
link   
The Judge is teaching this young truant a lesson, by scaring the crap out of him. This won't hold water, and the teen in question more than likely displayed an attitude of the self righteous typical #Me kind, not all but a good majority.

posted on May, 22 2018 @ 01:44 AM
link   

Should a juvenile spend the rest of their life paying for a simple mistake such as fireworks? Not student loans, not murdering, not raping, but something as stupid as fireworks? This teen didn'd ignore a fire ban. This teen didn't ignore whatever law there is against driving across grass. This 15 year old teen set off a smoke bomb.

Sorry Oregon and this self righteous Oregon judge.... you all are wrong.

We know he can't pay, so what is your point? He walked down a trail a few miles and then threw smoke bombs down into a gorge and stared a massive fire. Other hikers screamed him to stop and he just said "F off what do you want me to do now?"

You are full of it, not understanding anything that he actually did. Came close to burning down two towns in the process. I drove to work for weeks watching 60 miles of highway closed as the fire raged along it...

Also what part is alleged? He did it, so no "alleged" there in the least.

posted on May, 22 2018 @ 01:46 AM
link   

Reprieve well after he's 25 years old. So much for college. So much for trade school. So much for anything to better himself because he's too busy dishing out money for # insurance should've paid for.

What insurance is there for throwing smoke bombs down into a dry gorge? BTW I hiked that the week before...it was a beautiful hike...

top topics

<< 1    3  4 >>

join