It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Is this Cultural Appropriation?

page: 2
<< 1    3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on May, 22 2018 @ 12:42 AM
link   
a reply to: pavil

Just wondering with all the claims of Cultural Appropriation happening recently. I can't but help and think if it were a different person doing this song, we'd be hearing all about how disrespectful and wrong it is.

Celebrity, , etc. it doesn't seem like anyone is immune from those claims anymore:

Transgender Instagram star who is half Mexican and half South East Asian comes under fire for 'cultural appropriation' after posting images of herself in a pink dreadlock wig

Source

edit on 22-5-2018 by dreamingawake because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 22 2018 @ 12:44 AM
link   

Cultural appropriation is just another BS term the rightwing outrage circus has chosen to popularize...

Some random college professor, YouTuber or blogger that did live in obscurity will say somthing stupid.

Then every rightwing media source will do stories about it making that person 5 min famous..

Then the left wing sites will do rebuttals.

All over some obscure issue no one was talking about and no one was ever going to make a law or what have you to address it..

It is propaganda meant for stupid people.

There was NEVER ANY RISK of 40+% of the population Deciding cultural appropriation is a real threat to society that must be addressed..

Right wing propagandists don’t ever have any new ideas. So they have to manufacture cartoon villains to win votes..

posted on May, 22 2018 @ 01:50 AM
link   
a reply to: JoshuaCox

Do you often get left and right mixed up like this??

Good grief, that's some fancy twisting you got goin' on there.

posted on May, 22 2018 @ 03:08 AM
link   
Cultural retardation may be more appropriate

posted on May, 22 2018 @ 07:06 AM
link   

I think cultural appropriation matters where some groups culture is stolen to give financial benefit
that would seem wrong , or if its made fun of !

but borrowing elements from one culture for expressing yourself or enjoying life isnt bad at all!

I think that many are quick to say cultural appropriation of hairstyles, or clothing , but we humans borrow and steal from each other all the time.

This cultural appropration all comes down to ego, because someone somewheres ego is hurt because someone took something from them , which hasnt really been taken !

the whole dreadlock thing, thats cutlural to jamaicans etc ,
hair braids are cutltural to many societies not specifically to African culture
so then we have technology as culture ,or science and the arts . so why doesnt any complain about cultural appropriation
when everyone started using the steam engine ?
or the English language or Surrealism , or Caligraphy , any form of culture could be said to be appropriated.
Humanity stands on the shoulders of giants, to say that something like culture belongs to one group of people is a bit short sighted!
Culture is a human trait derived from practices that humans do when in groups!

Its totally ridiculous , to cry about cultural appropriation , I mean its a bit late for that , we humans have shared and mixed our cultures so much its hard to take them apart.

posted on May, 22 2018 @ 07:10 AM
link   
I mean do you see Scotland giving a flying monkeys when Americans who are 1/100th scottish on their grannies, great uncles dugs maws , weans , sisters , nephews side , wearing a Kilt on St.Patricks Day wearing a leprechaun hat !

Naw we dinnae give a #!

Yet as soon as yin lassie puts braids in her hair , she has just appropriated all of african culture and must die!
but its totally cool when other lassies straighten their hair no one says a thing.

Also have you noticed that it mostly revolves around fashion and hairstyles, none of which are going to stop the world from working ?

Could ye imagine if the cultural appropriation card was pulled with something like electricity!

posted on May, 22 2018 @ 07:27 AM
link   

originally posted by: DontTreadOnMe

NO one screams about the SNL performance....but this causes a stir.....seems like a double standard to me

abcnews.go.com...

Not for nothing, this girl did it better. But that's just the opinion of a guy who made duck tacos last week.

posted on May, 22 2018 @ 07:46 AM
link   
a reply to: starwarsisreal

I agree, or utalize said fashion and claimed it as one's own, but I see nothing wrong in wearing kool ethnic garbs or hair styles, that's called cultural exchange which is not a bad thing, a lot of times these items are on sale to the general public, can't bitch about it when other folks bought it.

posted on May, 22 2018 @ 08:04 AM
link   

originally posted by: AugustusMasonicus

originally posted by: DontTreadOnMe

NO one screams about the SNL performance....but this causes a stir.....seems like a double standard to me

abcnews.go.com...

Not for nothing, this girl did it better. But that's just the opinion of a guy who made duck tacos last week.

Duck tacos. Evolution in action.

posted on May, 22 2018 @ 08:08 AM
link   

I'm gonna wear a kimono, a feather headdress and eat with chopsticks at the next party I go to. Hopefully it's on Taco Tuesday.

If it's Taco Tuesday, where's the sombrero?

posted on May, 22 2018 @ 08:08 AM
link   

All cultures appropriate.

Only the left has weaponized it.

posted on May, 22 2018 @ 08:11 AM
link   

originally posted by: Flavian

It's sitting on my sari.

posted on May, 22 2018 @ 08:16 AM
link   
a reply to: seagull

No there is a reason almost all the scientists, college professors and intellectuals are liberals...

Because conservative propaganda is obviously meant for stupid people..

One debate or public speaking class that covers logical fallacies debunks basically every conservative talking point.

posted on May, 22 2018 @ 08:18 AM
link   

originally posted by: JoshuaCox
a reply to: seagull

No there is a reason almost all the scientists, college professors and intellectuals are liberals...

Because conservative propaganda is obviously meant for stupid people..

One debate or public speaking class that covers logical fallacies debunks basically every conservative talking point.

posted on May, 22 2018 @ 08:19 AM
link   
a reply to: DBCowboy

He used the big words on you, huh? Does dinkums need Uncle Augie to get his bourbon baba?

posted on May, 22 2018 @ 08:19 AM
link   

originally posted by: Flavian

It's sitting on my sari.

Hijab a fact? I didn't know that. I think you're mukena that up.

posted on May, 22 2018 @ 08:21 AM
link   

So from your comment I can gather then that if a person has the wrong color skin, then this sort of thing would be branded cultural appropriation because the default assumption for many is that people of a certain ethnicity would only wear or use the trappings of a certain other culture from a mocking standpoint?

That would, of course, be a stereotypical racial viewpoint, but it seems to me the only different between Nicki Minaj's video here and the one where Katy Perry had an Egyptian theme which was called cultural appropriation is the ethnicity of the two performers in question. In fact, as I can recall, Perry didn't even sing anything disrespectful about Egyptian or ancient Egyptians whereas the lyrics quoted in this piece "name going ding dong" would be considered horribly racist if any white singer had them.

posted on May, 22 2018 @ 08:21 AM
link   

a reply to: DBCowboy

He used the big words on you, huh? Does dinkums need Uncle Augie to get his bourbon baba?

Big words ascare me. Moar bourbon please.

posted on May, 22 2018 @ 08:26 AM
link   

originally posted by: ketsuko
In fact, as I can recall, Perry didn't even sing anything disrespectful about Egyptian or ancient Egyptians...

She should have done a song about the pyramids called You Didn't Build That!

edit on 22-5-2018 by AugustusMasonicus because: Ph'nglui mglw'nafh Cthulhu R'lyeh wgah'nagl fhtagn

posted on May, 22 2018 @ 08:30 AM
link   

originally posted by: ketsuko
In fact, as I can recall, Perry didn't even sing anything disrespectful about Egyptian or ancient Egyptians...

She should have done a song about the pyramids called You Didn't Build That!

I hate to correct you, but "pyramids" are a ladies minstrel cycle. Though I can't be sure if it's a two wheel cycle or a three wheel cycle.

new topics

top topics

<< 1    3  4 >>

join