It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

a mass u2u by a non mod??? is this ok???

page: 1
<<   2  3 >>

join
share:

posted on Feb, 18 2005 @ 08:07 PM
link   
i just got this u2u from TheBigD:

Dear ATS members,
It is important to show the influence internet can bring to the geopolitical world, it is ATS's chance to make a substantial change. It will be beneficial to all parties involved. Free Nepal from its dictator king. A dictatorship is forming in Nepal, the internet can stop it. Join us in the internet revolution,
www.abovetopsecret.com...

then this one:

politics.abovetopsecret.com...

is this ok that a non mod did this???

thanks...

posted on Feb, 18 2005 @ 08:09 PM
link   
Sure- why wouldnt it be ok?

posted on Feb, 18 2005 @ 08:12 PM
link   
man, thats one of the best causes ever, of course its ok. Human rights > my right to 'no spam' without question.

link   

Originally posted by dgtempe
Sure- why wouldnt it be ok?

usually mods get pissed if someone send a mass u2u...

usually it pisses members off too...

link   
Got the same u2u!

Hope hes not p***d, I deleted it as soon as I got it. Not really got the time Big D, but thanks thanks all the same.

Im sure its ok, but Im not a mod. Yet.

posted on Feb, 18 2005 @ 08:14 PM
link   
Yeah, I was wondering how this was accomplished myself...

posted on Feb, 18 2005 @ 08:20 PM
link   
As worthy as the cause may be, it is strictly forbidden for members to send mass u2u's.

It is only reserved for admin to do so and/or utilize. This has been expressed and explained before.
Let me get searching and see what I can find.

seekerof

posted on Feb, 18 2005 @ 08:22 PM
link   
The Medium Is The Message

Originally posted by djohnsto77
Yeah, I was wondering how this was accomplished myself...

My concern as well.

Worthiness of the topic aside, is this a capability that non-staff members should possess?

Edit: Oops. Missed that last post. Thanks for looking into it, Seekerof.

[edit on 2/18/2005 by Majic]

posted on Feb, 18 2005 @ 08:29 PM
link   
I was kind of shocked to see that, too.

I do have to say, though, I'm really disappointed with ATS because of the Nepal thread and The Vagabond's thread. ATS seems to be a community of speakers, not doers. When asked to step up to the plate, to put your money where your mouth is, you scatter or explain that your time is too precious to help folks in need, someone else do it.

I would be very curious to see how many people who are active in political discussion here actually went out and voted. I now suspect it was very, very few.

You know, for a community fearing conspiracies, we're not doing much to prevent them.

posted on Feb, 18 2005 @ 08:39 PM
link   
Its easy to send a mass U2U. Just copy paste "Who's on ATS right now." in the send box. Did this once in an act of desperation when this guy was just posting complete bs about guns. "That site is biased! Everyone knows CNN, FOX, MSNBC, CBS, BBC, The other 12 sites you put on there are all biased showing the exact same information, England and Australia ban guns, crime rate goes up, that is wrong! Just because over 20 sites/news sources say the exact same thing."

It pissed me off this guy's skull was as dull as a baseball so i copy/pasted the Whos On ATS and sent out a mass U2U. I even sent it to the guy i was argueing with since he was on at the time.

posted on Feb, 18 2005 @ 08:40 PM
link   

Originally posted by junglejake
ATS seems to be a community of speakers, not doers.

This may be another issue. We are talking about the improper use of the u2u messaging system on ATS. Spamming members with thread advertisements is not allowed. As Seekerof said mass-u2u's are reserved for admin only.

posted on Feb, 18 2005 @ 08:43 PM
link   

Originally posted by junglejake
I would be very curious to see how many people who are active in political discussion here actually went out and voted. I now suspect it was very, very few.

That's because most people active in political discussion realized a long time ago that our vote is not what decides who becomes president.
Those with enough cash to control the government are the ones who decide, not us. Democracy is an illusion designed to convince us we have a say in the running of our country...

Back to topic...We have a dictator in our own country, we should fix that problem first. But of course dictators only happen in other countries cause their not smart like our government, they haven't learned to hide behind smokescreens of deception.

AP&F...

[edit on 18/2/2005 by ANOK]

posted on Feb, 18 2005 @ 08:45 PM
link   
Here here KingL and JJ.

Alot of views going around, but not implemented!

I wonder.

posted on Feb, 18 2005 @ 08:49 PM
link   
Um, About The Topic...

This is the Board Questions & Business forum.

This thread is about a mass U2U being sent by a non-staffmember.

The thread to talk about Nepal is here:

Support Nepal Democracy! Revolt the conspiracy of their King!

If you have an interest in that topic, please contribute to it there.

posted on Feb, 18 2005 @ 08:50 PM
link   
Thanks to the help of my fellow mod-mates, as was indicated before, the sending of mass u2u's is reserved for admin, not members, for the express purpose of sending board messages, etc.

These may hopefully clarify things a bit;

12.) You agree not to cultivate the membership of the AboveTopSecret.com discussion boards for the sending of private messages (board U2U or e-mail) for the purposes of marketing, mass mailing, or recruitment for other groups (offline or online) such as activist groups or other online discussion board websites. You will not also seek to rally the membership of the AboveTopSecret.com discussion board for any cause withouot prior written permission from the site owner.

13.) You will not post messages that are clearly outside of the stated topic of any forums nor disrupt a forum by deliberately posting repeated irrelevant messages or copies of identical messages (also known as "flooding"). You will also not create threads or post messages announcing your departure from the board unless approved by me.

Terms And Conditions Of Use

And an indication by SkepticOverlord here:
Getting U2U spam.

Still digging, but perhaps SO will clarify this, time permitting when he is on and has seen this, a bit more. In short, members sending mass u2u's is forbidden and restricted to ATS admin.

Thank you for your patience, understanding, and future compliance.

seekerof

[edit on 18-2-2005 by Seekerof]

posted on Feb, 18 2005 @ 08:51 PM
link   
I have to agree I don't come here to get solicited with emails no matter how noble the cause. If you have a cause or something to say start a thread, and plug your link, yeah yeah if it's within guidelines. And open a debate on the topic. Don't snipe at me with a spam email plugging your crusade. We get enough spam in our daily lives as it is. A thread either lives or dies once started, don't try to keep it alive by bringing it to my attention in a u2u.

Honestly I don't even like mass u2u's from mods as helpful as they are intended to be, no offense mods, super mods or any other type of mod.

Spiderj

[edit on 2/18/2005 by Spiderj]

posted on Feb, 18 2005 @ 09:00 PM
link   
On the other hand...

What harm does it do, really? You look briefly, then you hit and clear it.

But thats just the way i see it.

Rules are Rules, though.

posted on Feb, 18 2005 @ 09:03 PM
link   

As worthy as the cause may be, this is against our clear terms & conditions... the member has been banned, and the messages removed.

posted on Feb, 18 2005 @ 09:06 PM
link   
For me it's not about harm and certainly there is no harm in what was sent. For me other than the annoying aspect it's the slippery slope thing.

First it's just emails pushing a thread or a link to a non profit noble cause then your getting emails about peoples personal websites, propaganda and agendas and then before you know it someone is sending you a link offering a low interest home loan or ufo abduction insurance.

Spiderj

posted on Feb, 18 2005 @ 09:10 PM
link   
How do you make so many avatars/pictures SO? I remember a topic about how you were basing your guy off of the incredibles and you posted a bunch of different poses and costumes, couple even had the Ban Hammer.

Anyways, I will remember this the next time I am yelling at someone who thinks guns use magic mind control powers to mkae you commit crimes.

Edit. Also, I hate any U2U, I am always afrain I am getting warnings or something. Hell, I get a U2U about a applause and I am freaked."Don't be a warning, don't be a warning." IDK why, doesn't matter, I could be gone for two days, nothing to get warned about, see I have a new U2U, freakout.

[edit on 18-2-2005 by James the Lesser]

new topics

top topics

<<   2  3 >>

join