It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

New Starbucks policy: No purchase needed to sit in cafes

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on May, 21 2018 @ 02:15 PM
link   
Starbucks is done.

There are going to be bums camping out all day in the stores. It is already a problem in some stores, which is why some stores already lock the bathrooms and put policies in place to make a purchase.

I remember when I was in college, the homeless would routinely camp out at the city library. They'd literally just camp there in the magazine/newspaper section from open till close. The sad part is they funked up the place with body order. The routinely would jerk off to the female students using the library and all kinds of other perversions.

Eventually, they are going to drive away the customers who do go to Starbucks to work or for meetings (and actually wind up paying for drinks).

This is not going to end well for Starbucks.

posted on May, 21 2018 @ 02:21 PM
link   
This will cause problems. People will come take up seats and use the wifi!!!

It happened when I worked for Barnes and Noble. People brought their damn desktops in, no joke!

They shouldn't change their policy. Most places you can't just hang out. It's not a hang out. It's a business.

posted on May, 21 2018 @ 02:28 PM
link   

originally posted by: mblahnikluver

It happened when I worked for Barnes and Noble. People brought their damn desktops in, no joke!

They shouldn't change their policy. Most places you can't just hang out. It's not a hang out. It's a business.

The problem isn't hanging out, the problem is not purchasing something.

I used to hang out at Barnes & Nobles all the freaking time doing work. Same with Starbucks. However, I was making purchases. At least one or two cups of coffee, if not some baked goods and sandwiches.

posted on May, 21 2018 @ 02:47 PM
link   
a reply to: mblahnikluver

I'm gonna go hang out and then cause a ruckus because they don't provide free coffee and finger sandwiches! Those elitist jerks!

posted on May, 21 2018 @ 04:19 PM
link   
This will be like an open borders experiment. You dont have to buy anything and everybody is welcome to come in and do as they please. The paying customers will be like the citizens. Maybe starbucks should also just give away their coffee to whoever needs some. This should be interesting to see how this plays out.

posted on May, 21 2018 @ 04:26 PM
link   

originally posted by: Edumakated

originally posted by: mblahnikluver

The problem isn't hanging out, the problem is not purchasing something.

I used to hang out at Barnes & Nobles all the freaking time doing work. Same with Starbucks. However, I was making purchases. At least one or two cups of coffee, if not some baked goods and sandwiches.

Oh I hung out so much in Barnes and Noble with my laptop buying mocha's that they offered me a JOB for seasonal. I took it of course and it was one of my favorite jobs ever. I loved it! I also loved my half off at the cafe and 40% off on books! I only worked there from September-January but I had a blast!

Yes the hanging out and not buying is what I was referencing.

posted on May, 21 2018 @ 05:31 PM
link   
a reply to: IgnoranceIsntBlisss

At the end of your statement you said Bums are homeless. What I am trying to say is name calling is not going to help there situation.

posted on May, 21 2018 @ 06:32 PM
link   
a reply to: seattlerat

I always thought that was their policy. I've seen plenty of people using Starbucks for their WiFi without buying anything. I've also gone to lots of meetings and such in different Starbucks. Me or whoever I was meeting didn't always buy anything and it was never a problem. I don't think i've ever seen a Starbucks staff member ever question what anyone's doing unless they're causing trouble.

posted on May, 21 2018 @ 06:52 PM
link   
The Starbucks I generally go to sits out in the boonies for the most part, with a couple of food places, a sporting goods store, and an industrial park as the only real neighbors. It's far enough on Anchorage's fringe that the beggars, bums, and riffraff have no reason to be there, not enough idiots around to give them money. To that end, I don't see this policy change altering my preferred Starbucks, but if it does, I'll certainly save some money in the process.

posted on May, 21 2018 @ 07:41 PM
link   
The only Starbucks I ever hit up are in Meijer, and generally only when my husband has an itch for a caramel whatever that can't wait.
They don't seem to have any problems with clientele or people just parking it. A lot of husbands sit in them quietly sans drinks already, waiting for the wives to hurry up, lmao. And occasionally old folks reading papers. I doubt the policy will change much of anything where I am.

Now, if I want coffee that actually tastes like coffee, I go to Tim Horton's for that. And the espresso. If I want a froo-froo coffee drink, I go to Biggby. Granted, it's as overpriced as Starbucks is, but the froo-froo drinks taste much better overall, not as gaggy sweet and the flavor of the coffee used actually comes through.

<< 1   >>

join