It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

New Starbucks policy: No purchase needed to sit in cafes

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on May, 21 2018 @ 12:12 PM
link   

I used to spend a lot of money on Starbucks coffee. In fact, I used to work in a building that had a Starbucks in it just a couple hundred feet away where I was a manager for a large electronics company. At any given time there would be 2=7 employees working with me, and often I would head over to Starbucks just prior to break-time to purchase beverages for all of them as well as getting a tall-iced-no whip-vanilla-mocha for myself. This was many years ago and I could afford dropping $20 a couple times a week to pump my employees full of caffeine, but nowadays I may not visit a Starbucks store more than 3 times a year- I just can't justify spending $5 for a single drink that I usually guzzle in under 5 minutes.

I think it's great that Starbucks has made their policy clear and is now allowing anyone to hang out in their stores, but there is always going to be a potential for problems stemming from abuse of this. Gosh, if I were a penniless homeless guy living under a freeway overpass here in Seattle, I would just move into Starbucks. Free WiFi, shelter and warmth, plus, I would root through the garbage, recycle, and food-waste bins for treasures, and scavenge paying customers' tables for scraps! Now, if only they would stay open 24 hours, then I put in a change-of-address and call it HOME!

SOURCE ARTICLE

Starbucks announced a new policy Saturday that allows anyone to sit in its cafes or use its restrooms, even if they don't buy anything. The new policy comes five weeks after two black men who hadn't bought anything were arrested at a Philadelphia Starbucks.

Company executives have said its previous policies were loose and ambiguous, leaving decisions on whether people could sit in its stores or use the restroom up to store managers. Starbucks said it has told workers to consider anyone who walks into its stores a customer, "regardless of whether they make a purchase." The company said anyone can use its cafes, patios or restrooms without buying anything, but it noted workers should still call the police if someone is a safety threat.

The two men who were arrested April 12 in Philadelphia were awaiting a third person for a meeting. One of them was denied use of a restroom because he hadn't bought anything. A worker called police, and the men, Rashon Nelson and Donte Robinson, were arrested. They spent hours in jail before they were released.

How would you abuse this new policy?
edit on 5212018 by seattlerat because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 21 2018 @ 12:16 PM
link   
a reply to: seattlerat

The Starbuck I go the most, is right by a Middle School, and allot of kids go there after school, some of them only get ice water, and they don't charge the kids or kick them out, of coarse these kids are well behaved. They are surprisingly respectful. I don't mind them at all, they hang out on the Patio with friends.

posted on May, 21 2018 @ 12:18 PM
link   
LOL wondering how long Starbucks will last with the amount of people just using it for free WiFi and chat etc.

posted on May, 21 2018 @ 12:21 PM
link   
Is it cool if I sleep on the floor?
This is a serious question.

posted on May, 21 2018 @ 12:22 PM
link   
Just another way to perpetually bathe more people in the spermicidal WiFi.

posted on May, 21 2018 @ 12:25 PM
link   
a reply to: ZombieZygote

Whats the difference? The schools all have WiFi. They all have phones too.

posted on May, 21 2018 @ 12:32 PM
link   
Is this a legit new policy? If so, I have mixed feelings on this. On one hand they are trying to not be the same kind of hypocrites that the militant end of the progressive movement are, but at the same time I don't see how this can work out well for them and certainly goes against good business practices.

I do have compassion for the homeless though so God Bless Starbucks for giving it a go.

However, when they have to rescind and flip-flop again---how will they spin it? Will the owners change their political party lol?

posted on May, 21 2018 @ 12:35 PM
link   

originally posted by: skunkape23
Is it cool if I sleep on the floor?
This is a serious question.

I hope so, I won't worry about you as much anymore if so. They should throw in free coffee for you. If you entertain them the way you always do here at ATS old friend you are worth your weight in gold frappucinos.

posted on May, 21 2018 @ 12:39 PM
link   

Well there goes what was left of my white privilege.

Thanks a lot... drama queens.

posted on May, 21 2018 @ 12:39 PM
link   

originally posted by: kurthall
a reply to: ZombieZygote

Whats the difference? The schools all have WiFi. They all have phones too.

They certainly do. Just wait until the 5G BEAST system goes into effect. The cooking of humanity will be next to unstoppable then.

posted on May, 21 2018 @ 12:55 PM
link   

That's always been the rules... For some....

posted on May, 21 2018 @ 12:56 PM
link   
I choose not to frequent places like Starbucks.....I can buy a lot of coffee elsewhere for much cheaper.

As a business, they can choose to allow people to loiter in their establishments.
But I wonder what will happen if and when this starts to affect paying customers.
When people bathe in their restrooms? As they already do in restrooms in public buildings...
When paying customers get panhandled?

It'll be interesting to see how this pans out for them

edit on Mon May 21 2018 by DontTreadOnMe because: clarity

posted on May, 21 2018 @ 12:57 PM
link   

Well yeah this new policy is going to be abused but I think as you were saying as much as Starbucks charges for a drink I think they can afford to just have people sit there.

posted on May, 21 2018 @ 12:59 PM
link   
The ultimate in virtue signalling woould be if they also change their company name...

"Hobo Hideaway" comes to mind...

Or "Nobucks"...

edit on 21-5-2018 by IgnoranceIsntBlisss because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 21 2018 @ 01:00 PM
link   
Sweet, matches my policy of don't make any purchases at Star*ucks.

400% over-priced hipster burnt-beans junk.

posted on May, 21 2018 @ 01:04 PM
link   
Starbuck's caved to media pressure. As a business owner, if I don't want you in my shop for any reason, I would advise you to GTFO or suffer the consequences. I don't cater to mooks!!

I pay the mortgage, the bills, insurance, taxes, workmans comp, everything, don't tell me how to run my business.
edit on 21-5-2018 by olaru12 because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 21 2018 @ 01:11 PM
link   
a reply to: IgnoranceIsntBlisss

So is this becoming a making fun of the homeless thread?

posted on May, 21 2018 @ 01:13 PM
link   
a reply to: American-philosopher

Bums, actually (there is a difference), and when they inundate the places everyday looking forward.

posted on May, 21 2018 @ 01:20 PM
link   
a reply to: IgnoranceIsntBlisss

how do you tell the difference??

posted on May, 21 2018 @ 01:43 PM
link   
a reply to: American-philosopher

That may or may not be tricky from one specimen to the next.

Not all bums are without homes, you see, as not all homeless are bums.

But for bums whom are homeless, homelessness is more a permanent state of affairs whereas for 'homeless' its most likely a temporary, transitional state of affairs (generally following a reaming of bad luck and the sort).

Aside from acute aesthetics, one good way to tell is by their den. If there be a group of them, and all day they haul in grocery bags containing booze etc, but refuse to haul their trash out in the bags they brought them in, on the way back to the store where the wares came from generally, and even when offered help cleaning the skid row up their presence is creating, they refuse to do so, then they're surely bums whom rehabilitation is as hopeless as they are homeless.

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join