It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Article 4 Section 4 - Republican Government

page: 2
<< 1    3 >>

join
share:

posted on May, 21 2018 @ 09:28 AM
link   
Greek Democracy was not democratic at all; only men who had done military service could vote. No women or slave could.
Why would anyone want to compare a Republic with that anyway?

posted on May, 21 2018 @ 09:42 AM
link   
a reply to: JBurns

and yet - the ratification of that consitution was undetaken by a democratic process

further - the ellection of the president of the republic , and the convention of congress are both undertaken by democatic processes

it seemms some sort of semantic shell game that fixates on the lack of the word " democracy " - when multiple electoral processes are mmandated as the foundations of government

posted on May, 21 2018 @ 09:46 AM
link   
a reply to: introvert

ummmm...not really.

I agree there are aspects of democracy in a republic , but Democracy is mob rule, while a republic is a rule of law. The majority does NOT rule a republic.

Would you call the UK a democracy too? I call it a constitutional monarchy, but there is also elements of democracy in that system too.

posted on May, 21 2018 @ 10:15 AM
link   
a reply to: ignorant_ape

They would also be shocked to learn the reason for the absence of the word democracy in the founding documents of the U.S.A. Contrary to what propaganda has led the public to believe, America’s Founding Fathers were skeptical and anxious about democracy. They were aware of the evils that accompany a tyranny of the majority. The Framers of the Constitution went to great lengths to ensure that the federal government was not based on the will of the majority and was not, therefore, democratic.

I beg to differ, my friend

Consequently, this is why a President can be lawfully elected without winning the popular vote (and vice versa)
edit on 5/21/2018 by JBurns because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 21 2018 @ 10:16 AM
link   

originally posted by: spingersbane

originally posted by: grey580

We were always as a Constitutional Replublic. Never a Democracy.

That way no one group could take control and discriminate against everyone else.

Even though that is somewhat debatable.

Constitutional republic is a form of democracy.

Yeah one that's not "dumby-fied"

😎💥

posted on May, 21 2018 @ 10:17 AM
link   

originally posted by: Asktheanimals
Greek Democracy was not democratic at all; only men who had done military service could vote. No women or slave could.

Shows how Democrats have redefined history.

Twisties.

😃

posted on May, 21 2018 @ 10:18 AM
link   

originally posted by: xuenchen

originally posted by: spingersbane

originally posted by: grey580

We were always as a Constitutional Replublic. Never a Democracy.

That way no one group could take control and discriminate against everyone else.

Even though that is somewhat debatable.

Constitutional republic is a form of democracy.

Yeah one that's not "dumby-fied"

😎💥

I think the US government is about as dumb as it gets

George W Bush
Hillary Clinton
Nansi Pelosi
Donald Trump
John McCain
Lindsey Graham
Michelle Bachman
ect

Pretty much a list of dumbarses and retards

posted on May, 21 2018 @ 10:35 AM
link   

Democracy would permit a "majority" to infringe on the Constitution. Under a Republican government (not the party), that majority, no matter what its size may be, is constrained by the Constitution and cannot subvert it simply by voting.

For instance, a majority passing "hate speech" laws or gun confiscation attempts would be patently unconstitutional (and subject to all appropriate remedies therein)

posted on May, 21 2018 @ 10:35 AM
link   

originally posted by: Asktheanimals

When our Republic started only white men who owned land could vote. No women or slave could. I guess the founders wanted to compare with that.

posted on May, 21 2018 @ 10:41 AM
link   
a reply to: SocratesJohnson

I agree there are aspects of democracy in a republic , but Democracy is mob rule, while a republic is a rule of law. The majority does NOT rule a republic.

Democracy is not mob rule.

posted on May, 21 2018 @ 10:42 AM
link   

originally posted by: JBurns

Democracy would permit a "majority" to infringe on the Constitution. Under a Republican government (not the party), that majority, no matter what its size may be, is constrained by the Constitution and cannot subvert it simply by voting.

For instance, a majority passing "hate speech" laws or gun confiscation attempts would be patently unconstitutional (and subject to all appropriate remedies therein)

It appears you are others do not know the definition of democracy or the concept of it.
edit on 21-5-2018 by introvert because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 21 2018 @ 11:15 AM
link   

originally posted by: introvert

Democracy is mob rule.

posted on May, 21 2018 @ 11:17 AM
link   

originally posted by: xuenchen

Democracy is mob rule.

Which is why any sensible country restrains it with a constitution or legal framework that puts limits on its powers.

posted on May, 21 2018 @ 11:22 AM
link   

Assuming altruistic motives here, so will you please enlighten me on what you believe the true definition of Democracy is?

How about Republic?

posted on May, 21 2018 @ 11:23 AM
link   

Ok, how 'bout a True Democracy? Its akin to mob rule.

The variant with which we work with is a Republic, that which combines the representative governmet with a constitution to prevent absolute mob rule.

posted on May, 21 2018 @ 11:33 AM
link   

China goes by "People's Republic of China".

Be sure and explain how those words in the Constitution have any allusion to this monstrosity known as the "Republican Party".

posted on May, 21 2018 @ 11:45 AM
link   

“A constitutional majority is the only true sovereign of a free people,” and we must heed his warning that “Whoever rejects it, does, of necessity, fly to anarchy or to despotism.”

- President Abe Lincoln

Source

Democrats are sprouting wings, crying over Trump, kicking and screaming as they claw their way towards anarchy and despotism. Lincoln's words playing out in the streets whenever you see their riots and demonstrations against the Republic.

posted on May, 21 2018 @ 11:59 AM
link   

a reply to: Gothmog

So , yes. A form but not close

So it is, but it isn't?

I don't think you have a clue what you are talking about.

It seems you are just spitting ignorant talking points and not anything actually correct about the topic.

Generally, when people say "America is not a democracy" they mean it is not a direct democracy. So in the classical meaning of the word "democracy", it isn't.

Hope I cleared that up for you. Easy, isn't it?

posted on May, 21 2018 @ 12:25 PM
link   
a reply to: IgnoranceIsntBlisss

And North Korea goes by Democratic People's Republic of Korea (DPRK)

Just because someone wants to call themselves a Republic does not make it true. And you're preaching to the choir RE: The GOP. Lesser of two evils. At least we're making progress, clearing the ranks for Constitutional hard-liners and originalists

Regardless, if I'm mistaken in my definition of Democracy please correct me. I don't like to perpetuate falsehoods, and if I'm doing so please feel free to interject

According to Webster's, Democracy means:

Democracy definition is - government by the people; especially : rule of the majority.

Tyranny by majority?

posted on May, 21 2018 @ 12:53 PM
link   

Republic and democracy are not mutually exclusive. The United States is both a constitutional republic and a representative democracy. Republic means basically a government of the people as opposed to say a monarchy. A constitutional republic is one where the government is built around a constitution which provides for structure, separation of powers, fundamental rights, etc. A representative democracy is where people elect representatives to represent them in government as opposed to direct democracy where people vote on everything.

top topics

<< 1    3 >>

join