It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Deus Ex: The Ideal Game For the ATS Denizen

page: 1

join
share:

posted on May, 20 2018 @ 11:06 PM
link   
I say that but, of course, I have no idea how many of you have actually played it. I'd wager quite a few, given the subject matter, but if not I must insist you do so.

A product of late '90s anxieties about the evolution of communications technology, the internet, AI, cybernetics, corporate power, government power creep, and the flourishing of supranational organizations, Deus Ex tasks you with stopping (prepare yourself) the trillionaire CEO of a Hong Kong biotech firm turned leader of Majestic 12 (which has evolved from an investigatory committee on Roswell to the R&D division of the Illuminati) from merging his mind with an AI that controls the internet (which is now entirely routed through Area 51 due to an overhaul of the internet's main protocol to "Aquinas", which gives MJ12 access to all information on the internet) which, combined with the connection of all communications technology on the planet to the internet and control of all the world's nanotech manufacturing devices, will allow him alone to totally rule the world as a global monarchy.

This game was warning people of the dangers of the police state, government surveillance of the internet, the deep state, permanently classified information, black sites, AI, and doublethink in the media back when such things were considered utterly ridiculous and worth nothing but a cheap laugh or ironic entertainment. It's quite ridiculous, but strangely poingnant; indeed, the final choice as to how to handle the world post-victory against Bob Page will make you second guess and contemplate every aspect of what you think your principles are, because there are no easy answers to what is a true mess of a situation. There's no "go back to the way things were" - technology and society have changed forever, and there are no perfect or nostalgic answers to it.

Couple that with true play-your-way gameplay (you can be anything from a break-and-enter hackmaster thief to a bullet-shrugging sound-barrier-breaking rocket-firing juggernaut) and a kickass soundtrack and you've got yourself a splendid time. Some of the gameplay mechanics are admitteldy really outdated by now (this is a 2000 game); luckily we have the

GMDX Mod

To facilitate more smooth sailing for the modern gamer.

The only weakness, unless you count the numerous plotholes (which no one cares about because it's just too cool besides), is the atrocious voice acting, but you can just turn that off.

Now don your trench coat, put your sunglasses on at 3 in the morning, take out your glowing nanotech energy sword, and save the world.

posted on May, 20 2018 @ 11:25 PM
link   
Great game. Played through multiple times.

posted on May, 20 2018 @ 11:29 PM
link   
Deus Ex - Mankind Divided

posted on May, 20 2018 @ 11:42 PM
link   
Just make sure you take the time to read everything. All the little emails, notes, and books really add to the story

posted on May, 21 2018 @ 09:43 AM
link   
a reply to: AquinasProtocol

Nice and thank's for that link, I have not played Deus Ex for many years but it was both the first Deus Ex and the best Deus Ex game, later games had better engines but lost something along the way though or were far - far - far smaller games with less overall content so at the end a far less compelling world and story built on the back of the first game.

Another favorite is of course System Shock 2 which there are some fan's attempting to remake in a more modern engine.

Both of these games could be regarded as among the most influential story driven FPS games, Deus Ex had far more RPG element but both allowed you to customize your character and there ability's.
The first video is the original system shock both the remastered and the remake version's.

This was the far better system shock 2 but in a remade version which is in development (to be clear I never played system shock 1 and that is just something somebody whom had told me).

Now I wonder if I can get my old disc to install on my windows 10 rig.

edit on 21-5-2018 by LABTECH767 because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 21 2018 @ 05:57 PM
link   
I played Deus Ex: Human Revolution. Good game. I haven't played Mankind Divided.

posted on May, 22 2018 @ 01:42 AM
link   
a reply to: SpeakerofTruth

Play the first game. There are certain games that really rise the bar. Game like zelda OoT and baldurs gate. Games that you will compare all the future games to, and unfortunately usually be disappointed. Deus Ex is one of those games.

posted on May, 22 2018 @ 04:39 AM
link   
a reply to: AquinasProtocol

It must have been one of the more amamzing games i played, what i really loved about it next to the complex story was the fact that every time you play the game you could discovered a new route to your goal, every route required its own mastered expertise, this game was truly revolutionary in this regard. It was also one of the first games for me that created safegames of 10mb haha (this game was best if you saved a lot, so withing a day or two i had 400mb of savegames on a system that had maybe 10gig of space to begin with haha. Different times.

The new version mentioned below is also good but can hardly be compared to System-shock, while the original Deus Ex was a obvious clone of the first System-Shock.

If anybody is looking for a game that is in any way similar to the old DeusEx experience i would recommend Prey.
It reminded me a lot about Deus Ex with its complicated storyline and railess gaming experience.

posted on May, 22 2018 @ 05:15 PM
link   
The First Deus ex is still one of the best games i have played .

I will never forget the moment you escape the Majestic 12 facility after being captured in Hells kitchen , you exit the area only to find this is in the same building as UNATCO and everything they told you was a lie.

top topics

join