It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Yes, Trump can command DOJ/FBI/etc

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on May, 20 2018 @ 03:36 PM
link   

originally posted by: xuenchen

originally posted by: OtherSideOfTheCoin

originally posted by: japhrimu
a reply to: OtherSideOfTheCoin

I don’t think it’s quite absolute control...

Yes, that’s why we need guns.

So the OP is wrong then?

Because if POTUS has the power to block any investigations that impact him or her then they are above the law

The OP is right.

Congress can use impeachment and Senate Trial to overcome abuses of Executive power.

🤡💥

Yes I know that.

The OP implied that POTUS could commmand doj to block investigations into himself I was pointing out thst this, to be, would make him above the law.

Now I know that if he was doing that that he would probably be impeached hence why he won’t do it.

posted on May, 20 2018 @ 03:38 PM
link   

Of course he is. The Executive branch is tasked with carrying out the laws made by congress. The President leads the Executive branch. So in addition to head of state and commander in chief of our military, the President is also the top federal law enforcement officer.

That is how our separation of powers works. I agree with the need for firearms to keep such a system in check, but as it stands Trump is only carrying out his duty (including directing the DOJ/FBI/SCO investigation)

edit on 5/20/2018 by JBurns because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 20 2018 @ 03:39 PM
link   
a reply to: JBurns

So you are claiming that POTUS is above the law then?

posted on May, 20 2018 @ 03:43 PM
link   

Not at all. The Legislature can impeach & convict the President (or any official) and remove them from office legally. At that point, the former President is subject to legal claims.

Separation of powers at work. However, if the Congress has no will impeach/convict, then yes a POTUS would be (at least temporarily) seemingly above the law. I didn't write the rules. (or specifically, the DOJ interpretation of the rules)

posted on May, 20 2018 @ 03:46 PM
link   

So the OP is wrong then?

Because if POTUS has the power to block any investigations that impact him or her then they are above the law

POTUS has the power to block any federal executive branch investigation that impact him; that's the power he has as head of the federal executive branch.

This does not mean that he is above the law. It does however require the other two branches of the federal government to impose their over sight powers. For example the Congress could work to remove a president who they feel is breaking the law.

posted on May, 20 2018 @ 03:47 PM
link   

So the OP is wrong then?

What about stopping clearly partisan sham investigations? Because that is what we have been dealing with here.

posted on May, 20 2018 @ 03:50 PM
link   

I doubt he has the unchecked ability to quash investigations against himself (maybe he does, it has never been tested by the courts/SCOTUS)

But, he does have the authority and Constitutional power to direct those agencies and persons under his command. In this case, that is nearly all Federal agencies. He can set enforcement priorities, fire individual agents and basically "meddle" in whatever way he pleases. Again, not saying this is a good thing. I hate the precedents that are being set at this point in time.

However, independence of the DOJ/FBI/etc are "norms" and not law. After all, these agencies exist under the Executive. And allowing them the unfettered ability to investigate/prosecute/persecute a President effectively threatens to hold the office of President under duress.

We have a Legislature to impeach/convict for wrong-doing, and a Judiciary to ensure Executive Orders/Laws being enforced are Constitutional.

And it is absolutely the President's prerogative/frankly his duty to ensure our legal systems are never politicized, and to bring individuals to justice who attempt to use it in such a way. Once again, the choice is the lesser of two evils. The alternative is allowing political partisans to destroy any President at will using the President's own authority/powers against him.

posted on May, 20 2018 @ 03:51 PM
link   

originally posted by: visitedbythem
There are checks and balances in our system, and the final check of the US government lays in the hands of American civilians, just as it was designed to.

Yes, that's the most powerful production hand gun on the planet..... S&W 500 .... A true 50 caliber Magnum

I LOVE the 500! Almost have to hold it like a rifle... Kicks surprisingly not too bad!

posted on May, 20 2018 @ 03:54 PM
link   
a reply to: mysterioustranger

Not as pricey as youd expect either. I see them foe 1000-1200 mostly. A gun worthy of another 800 in laser engraving.

Re: the op....goes without saying. Good info for Brits who dont live here but want to understand better.

posted on May, 20 2018 @ 04:05 PM
link   

a reply to: UKTruth

Ohhh look it’s the American.....I mean British guy again.....who gets triggered any time I so much fart.

Dude I know all that.

The point stands, if your POTUS can block investigations into himself then he is above the
Law.

Which investigations are you referring to? I've not seen any blocking.

Mueller is still trying to pin the tail on the donkey with no interference from Trump so what exactly is your point?

posted on May, 20 2018 @ 04:09 PM
link   
a reply to: visitedbythem

Beautiful pieces of hardware there VisitedByThem!

posted on May, 20 2018 @ 05:20 PM
link   

originally posted by: bigfatfurrytexan
a reply to: mysterioustranger

Not as pricey as youd expect either. I see them foe 1000-1200 mostly. A gun worthy of another 800 in laser engraving.

Re: the op....goes without saying. Good info for Brits who dont live here but want to understand better.

I have an SW 357 mag I quit carrying years ago.

'Should've seen my wife fire THAT! Then she fired the 500. I steadied her from behind and the recoil almost knocked us both down (her fault)!

The Brits dont get it... It was because of THEM AND THEIR GUNS in the Revolution that we died and created OUR rights of the Constitution...

posted on May, 20 2018 @ 07:36 PM
link   
Do I sense a Monday night massacre on the way?

posted on May, 20 2018 @ 07:41 PM
link   
a reply to: NoCorruptionAllowed

No we havent. There's no clearly anything.
The justice dept is all parties and all different kinds of people. You can't get seven people to agree where to have lunch never mind have them all work to conspire against a candidate.
Get real.

posted on May, 20 2018 @ 07:43 PM
link   

originally posted by: Sillyolme
Do I sense a Monday night massacre on the way?

Nope,,, Monday Night Football is a few months away.

posted on May, 20 2018 @ 09:38 PM
link   

The President can direct the agencies under him to investigate what every he wants. He does not tell them what the resultls would be. This is no different than the Mayor of a city to direct his police force to take extra action in neighbor hoods that appear to have a higher crime rate, but he cannot the the police to violate the legal rules.

posted on May, 20 2018 @ 10:26 PM
link   

originally posted by: visitedbythem

originally posted by: OtherSideOfTheCoinNo wonder you need those guns then.

They worked real well on the bloody brittish redcoats

Which is and was an oppressive regime....

posted on May, 20 2018 @ 10:33 PM
link   

a reply to: JBurns

So you are claiming that POTUS is above the law then?

Are you a scratched 45 vinyl record from the 70s ?
Seems you keep repeating the line over and over

posted on May, 20 2018 @ 10:39 PM
link   

"That makes him above the law then..."

According to the Constitution , He Represents the Executive Branch of Federal LAW . PERIOD .

posted on May, 20 2018 @ 10:44 PM
link   
a reply to: Sillyolme

" No we havent. There's no clearly anything.
The justice dept is all parties and all different kinds of people. You can't get seven people to agree where to have lunch never mind have them all work to conspire against a candidate.
Get real."

You have Absolutely No Idea what you are talking about ..... Par for the Course for Silly Old Ye........

new topics

top topics

<< 1   >>

join