It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Recent rapid 6 month rise in gasoline prices - Why and what do you pay in your area?

page: 3
<< 1  2    4 >>

join
share:

posted on May, 20 2018 @ 01:27 AM
link   
Just moved from Atlanta to St. Pete and paid between $2.71-2.75/gallon.

That's up about 30 cents/gallon in about 3 months.

Gouging the vacationers- although seems cheaper than others here so I will just be quiet.

posted on May, 20 2018 @ 02:13 AM
link   
Over 6$ per gallon, and you guys think you got it bad

posted on May, 20 2018 @ 02:15 AM
link   
Euro petrol is better quality and the Imperial gallons are larger. Don't forget to calculate that part.

posted on May, 20 2018 @ 02:36 AM
link   
a reply to: FlyingFox

I'm a Canuck..4.5 litres in an imperial gallon x 1.60 per litre, ouch actually I'm even more depressed..over 7$ per gallon

posted on May, 20 2018 @ 02:47 AM
link   

originally posted by: CosmicAwakening
a reply to: Riffrafter

The gas spike is probably to pay for the royal wedding.

2.95-3.00 here NE US

LoL!!

Perfect - thanks for the laugh!

posted on May, 20 2018 @ 02:51 AM
link   

originally posted by: FamCore

$2.97 here in Vermont... I pay it because I have to with the commute.

I believe oil is abiotic and something that is created within the earth, not biotic like most of the "experts" out there will tell you

I've heard the abiotic theory in a few different forms, but I've never heard it referred to that way. Not being an expert I don't know if it's valid on it's face, but the anecdotal evidence for it is strong. Oil may not have come from the decomposed remains of dead animals after all.

Can you elaborate a little more? I'm sure many people would find it interesting as hell.

posted on May, 20 2018 @ 02:57 AM
link   

originally posted by: 727Sky

Shell Oil X president says 4.00$ with a barrel of oil going back to triple digits all within the next year and a half..

The last three years with prices so low there was no investment to drill therefore the oil glut has disappeared..
youtu.be...

I've also read/saw many stories stating this and I absolutely believe it. Companies are in business to make money so you can't blame them for not wanting to make the investment until it makes business sense to do so.

Under different circumstances - say we were at war - many of them would put patriotism above capitalism if for no other reason than that's exactly what their owners (shareholders) and customers would want in those circumstances. First commandment in business - thou shalt not piss off your customers.

edit on 5/20/2018 by Riffrafter because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 20 2018 @ 02:57 AM
link   

originally posted by: vonclod
a reply to: FlyingFox

I'm a Canuck..4.5 litres in an imperial gallon x 1.60 per litre, ouch actually I'm even more depressed..over 7$ per gallon

But on the bright side... that only works out to $4.65 US, in American gallons.

posted on May, 20 2018 @ 03:48 AM
link   
I pay £1.28/litre, would love to be paying even your inflated prices.

posted on May, 20 2018 @ 03:54 AM
link   
about 6 bucks a gallon now in japan

posted on May, 20 2018 @ 04:10 AM
link   
Hey there. The downturn in the price of oil per barrel has caused the oil industry considerable lay offs...
Not taking any sides here, just saying that these guys want to get back to work, and many of them know no other way to make a living...same old story.
regards,
tetra50

posted on May, 20 2018 @ 05:59 AM
link   
gas will go up now t o almost 8 dollars a gallon in japan

prices are changing so fast here.

posted on May, 20 2018 @ 07:16 AM
link   

originally posted by: Edumakated

originally posted by: Riffrafter
Gasoline prices have been rising at an alarming rate for the past 6 months. From $1.92 per gallon in November 2017 to $2.85 per gallon today in Charlottesville, VA.

And this is happening during a time period that is typically very stable for gasoline pricing in the U.S. We haven't even gotten to the annual "Memorial Day Highway Robbery" event that is staged each year prior to the big driving months of summertime. So, what is going on here?

Is it price gouging by Big Oil because the general consensus is that America is more prosperous lately? Is it a supply vs. demand issue? Or is it something else entirely?

I'm very curious what my fellow members are paying in their local communities. ATS's large member base and global reach is the perfect platform to see how pricing varies from place to place. Maybe some of you even know why that is. Additionally, I'm very aware that our colleagues in Europe have been getting raped by gasoline pricing (re: Petrol) for a long time, so I'm extremely curious if you folks have experienced this rapid rise in gasoline pricing too or if it's limited to the U.S.

So, what are you paying today in your local community? Have you also noticed the rising prices?

This should be very interesting - and enlightening - for all of us.

Thanks.

Oil is a commodity... it is pure supply and demand.

We can pay more than $4.00/gallon here in Chicago. I believe we have the highest gas prices in the US. A lot of it is taxes though.

Big Oil actually doesn't have very large margins. In fact, most large oil companies have profit margins of about 6.5%. So out of every dollar in revenue, only 6.5 cents is actual profit. Compare this to say Apple which has gross profits of almost 40%.

At the gas station level, they are only making about 5 cents a gallon in profit. Gas stations make their money inside from selling you cigs, candy, and condoms...

Oil is a commodity... it is pure supply and demand.

i disagree, demand is fairly constant. they are manipulation the supply causing a price increase.
It's what OPEC does

posted on May, 20 2018 @ 07:42 AM
link   
Personally, I've noticed that gas prices jump every time there's an incident in the Middle East that freaks everyone out.

Within two days after pulling from the Iran agreement, gas prices here went from $2.39 per gallon to $2.89 a gallon before coming back down a day or two later to $2.73 per gallon and staying. Many analysts predicted that it would happen.

posted on May, 20 2018 @ 07:52 AM
link   

I'm in Northern Ontario Canada. Really just an armpit of the world.
Nothing whatsoever hear, yet our gasoline prices are sickening high.
Because of the long weekend hear right now, the price is $1.46 per litre.

So for 1 gallon of gas here, it's $5.52

posted on May, 20 2018 @ 08:55 AM
link   

It was $3.04 for regular here at citgo in New Hartford NY.

posted on May, 20 2018 @ 09:05 AM
link   
3.69 a gallon here in Stockton, California....and we have 4 refineries 60 miles away in the bay area east of San Francisco....over 50 bucks a tank

posted on May, 20 2018 @ 11:21 AM
link   
Seen $4.10 per gallon for premium in Manhattan.

Funny thing is there is a surplus of oil/gas and OPEC choose not to put it in the market to drive prices up.
edit on 20-5-2018 by nOraKat because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 20 2018 @ 12:10 PM
link   
I'm in Seattle and the cheapest gas I can find is 3.19 but mostly it's $3.50+ what a rip-off

posted on May, 20 2018 @ 12:54 PM
link   
It goes up because the oil companies know there's not a damn thing anybody can do about it.

top topics

<< 1  2    4 >>

join