It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Okay, Now I Actually Do Want To Take Your Guns

page: 3
<< 1  2    4  5 >>

join
share:

posted on May, 19 2018 @ 01:39 PM
link   
a reply to: links234

Press the issue and we won't push you into a corner... we will shove you off the cliff and be done with this nonsense once and for all. Rights are not on the table for compromise or capitulation, period.

posted on May, 19 2018 @ 01:51 PM
link   

originally posted by: links234
Article

If we could even start the conversation, that would be great. We can't do that though, so here we are.

We keep hearing the same thing as the root cause; mental illness. Then we turn around and cut funding to programs to combat and treat mental illness.

We keep hearing that it's bullying that's the issue; then we complain about the wussification of America and participation trophies and the normalization of previously 'abnormal' behavior.

Maybe it's the video games; millions upon millions of video games sold around the world and yet, only here, do we see violent mass shootings. There are plenty of people who readily admit that mass shootings are, by-far, the least accountable reason for gun violence in America.

The source article lays it out pretty nicely too:

All along, there have been opportunities for sensible, incremental changes. This year alone, we could have banned the manufacture of bump stocks, which turn semi-automatic weapons into automatic ones. We could have raised the minimum age for gun ownership from 18 to 21, or instate a national minimum age for long-gun ownership. We haven’t, largely because you have bought our government.

What you have done is double down. What you’ve done is convince your members that the occasional school shooting, the odd literal slaughter of innocents, is an unfortunate but inevitable quirk of American life, a thing that is necessary to preserve freedom. You have taken to our television screens to tell us that the world is an apocalyptic hellscape, and that the only way to be safe from gun violence is to stock our homes with guns.

We could do so much to reduce this without touching the constitution. We could require licensing of individuals to train and teach them basic safety measures on handling and storing weapons. We can require universal background checks. We can make it harder for kids, particularly teenagers, who are going through their formative hormonal years to even touch firearms.

We do none of this though and it's almost always the claims of slippery slopes that stop us. So I'm here to tell you I'm done. This is no longer a slope, this is a cliff. You've pushed us into a corner and now you'll have to deal with the consequences of your inaction.

We pushed you into a corner??? Your so-called common sense gun laws are never common sense and do nothing to address the problem of violence. Bump stocks do not turn semi auto guns into fully auto. They fire faster, but they are not magically transformed into something they are not - assault rifles.

If you ask most NRA members if they are in favor of safety training they will say yes. They are in favor of background checks. They are in favor of a lot of things you would agree with. But they are not in favor of the same tactic you and people like you use every single time: ask for a little compromise while giving none, then take more than you ask for, then complain that it wasn't enough and start the whole thing over again.

The pro 2A side has been compromising since 1934. We have given in on a lot of things. What has your side compromised on? Name one thing you have given up in the name of compromise. And you have the nerve to say WE make the discussion impossible.

Oh, BTW, every thing you listed DOES affect the Constitution. It just doesn't bother you as much as it should.

If you send men with weapons of war to my house to take away my so-called weapons of war, that is an act of war. Conducted by government against the citizenry makes it an act of tyranny. And that is exactly why we have a second amendment in the first place.

I urge you to look at London and try to learn from the mistakes they made. Liberals in London managed to secure a ban of all firearms. All of them. London just past New York City, same size same population, in terms of murder for the first time. London has a higher murder rate than New York - and it is all being done with knives. Did the local liberal government admit their solution didn't work? No. Of course not. Liberals are incapable of admitting they are wrong. No, instead they are now banning knives. Pointy things. Sharp things. If you have one you are now a criminal. Next it will be blunt objects. Hammers, baseball bats, pipe, 2x4's, rocks, whatever. If you have one you go to jail.

When will liberals admit that focusing on the tools used does NOT solve the problem? Here is absolute proof that this method only results in more death. Why do liberals insist on putting peoples lives in danger? And you call us the problem???

WTF is wrong with you?
edit on 19-5-2018 by Vroomfondel because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 19 2018 @ 02:02 PM
link   
a reply to: Bhadhidar

The right to lawful, justified self defense is sacrosanct. Harming others or taking their property against their will is not.

I suggest you read up on Malum in se versus Malum prohibitum. Many, many things have been legal or illegal that are the opposite now.

Rights are internal, laws are external.

You can't hold the 99.95% of lawful gun owners responsible for the 0.05% of bad actors.

posted on May, 19 2018 @ 04:12 PM
link   

You think outlawing a type of firearm is constitutional? I'll let you in on something. It's not.

posted on May, 19 2018 @ 04:19 PM
link   

originally posted by: Masterjaden

You think outlawing a type of firearm is constitutional? I'll let you in on something. It's not.

I see the new gun grabbing talking point of the left is making the rounds quickly.

posted on May, 19 2018 @ 04:27 PM
link   

Okay, Now I Actually Do Want To Take Your Guns

Okay fine I'm home 4 days out of the week I will let y'all pick the day to come and try. Other than that I have wepons in the dishwasher, the bathroom cabinet and a 3000 pounder sitting in the driveway. Since drugs, drinking and driving and knives kill or maim more people in the US than fire arms you would be fine with getting rid of those to.

posted on May, 19 2018 @ 04:40 PM
link   
a reply to: hopenotfeariswhatweneed

No not that don't agree with him. That want to come and take away his means of self protection that is God given and constitution approved.

Jaden
edit on 19-5-2018 by Masterjaden because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 19 2018 @ 04:57 PM
link   

When you can flip a switch and there is no longer violent gangs, psychopaths, murderers, rapists, tyrannical governments, and child traffickers, etc., we might think about it.

Most of us gun owners are mothers, fathers, business owners, white collar workers, blue collar workers, Little League baseball coaches, PTA members, professionals, farmers, etc. Out of the tens of millions of gun owners, most never perpetrate crimes.

Like it or not, we need to look closely at the mainly young males born since around '88-'90 and figure out what is happening to SOME(?) of them. (And, btw, it's not just in America.)

It is NOT the gun.

posted on May, 19 2018 @ 05:09 PM
link   
a reply to: queenofswords

Like it or not, we need to look closely at the mainly young males born since around '88-'90 and figure out what is happening to SOME(?) of them. (And, btw, it's not just in America.)

No offense but , not sure if youre aware, lol thats almost 30 years ago lol...

The people perpetrating these things are being born around 2000 or later.....its 2018 after all...

posted on May, 19 2018 @ 05:27 PM
link   

originally posted by: Bhadhidar
First off; I don’t want to take your guns.

But, if, say, in response to tragedies such as we’ve seen recently, the public, en mass, were to voice support for, and in fact, enact, measures which severely curtailed/controlled gun ownership, possibly even including some form of confiscation; would the majority of gun owners comply with the new laws, as “law-abiding citizens”?

No. But im not a law abiding citizen. Im more like a "ill act appropriately, and tolerate your minor intrusions into my daily life" citizen. I think that describes most folks who actually call themselves "law abiding".

If a law came up that required me to stop speaking, i'd likely ignore it too.

If some people feel that their right to possess a firearm is so “innate” that it would, conceivably supersede even duly enacted laws to the contrary, then by what logic can we hold so-called “criminals” accountable for their crimes?

You seem to believe that your rights are negotiable. You do realize that the notion of our bill of rights is that it is an express statement against what the government can intrude into. It recognizes that it has no power to grant us said rights, because those rights are part and parcel to what existing is.

The same argument is applied to declawing cats....its a violation of their natural rights to make them defenseless. Humans defense is intellect and the creations from said intellect. Its how we've made ourselves throughout time, since the rock. The use of ever increasing projectile efficiency is the hallmark of human defense. The sling, the atlatl, the bow and arrow, the trebuchet...the firearm. Etc, etc.

Or, perhaps it is this mindset that places the “rights” of the individual above the good of the society that we should be addressing as a “mental health issue”?

This mindset you are referring to is our Constitution. It creates a set of rules and protections that allow the individuals rights to maintain precedence above society. Its just the way it is, its how its done here. Europe does all that "good of society" nonsense. Not America.
edit on 5/19/2018 by bigfatfurrytexan because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 19 2018 @ 05:33 PM
link   
Good of society... Let me ask my question a little more bluntly since no one wanted to answer it before.

Would more people be shot and killed while trying to collect the guns than if you left things alone? Doing nothing is doing something, just not what the shouters want done. And there is the problem.

posted on May, 19 2018 @ 05:33 PM
link   
OP is right we need to take the guns away!! We also need to take the cars and trucks, the knives and hammers and even that god damn weed wacker...

We are not safe from our kids until we do!!

posted on May, 19 2018 @ 05:35 PM
link   
a reply to: ManBehindTheMask

Columbine happened in 1999. Oklahoma City Bombing happened in 1995. From there, it escalated.

Maybe we should go back a couple of decades further and look REAL closely at what cultural/societal/educational changes began to take ROOT around that time.

posted on May, 19 2018 @ 05:36 PM
link   

originally posted by: Ahabstar
Good of society... Let me ask my question a little more bluntly since no one wanted to answer it before.

Would more people be shot and killed while trying to collect the guns than if you left things alone? Doing nothing is doing something, just not what the shouters want done. And there is the problem.

Too many still want to retain their freedoms.

I think it would be a very violent, bloody, ugly fight.

posted on May, 19 2018 @ 05:48 PM
link   

originally posted by: queenofswords
a reply to: ManBehindTheMask

Columbine happened in 1999. Oklahoma City Bombing happened in 1995. From there, it escalated.

Maybe we should go back a couple of decades further and look REAL closely at what cultural/societal/educational changes began to take ROOT around that time.

and Kent state happened considerably earlier as well as many others......

This isnt a new phenomenon, but problem seems to be that younger and younger people are carrying these things out....

We KNOW why columbine happened, the news actually reported how these kids were ostracized and bullied to the point they wanted revenge.....

The difference now is the news wont report on that, because it doesnt push the gun narrative.......

In every single one of these cases, these kids have been relentlessly bullied , even by staff......

Add that with social media and the fact that now , instead of getting a break from bullying when you go home, they are bombarded 24/7 over MULTIPLE social media outlets.......

Its the same reason we have such a huge jump in Teen suicide.....but no on wants to actually address what the problems are.......the REAL problems.......

And thats just PART of the slice of cake contributing to all this........but lets not talk about how we treat each other, our cultural need now to be seen and "liked" and thumbs upped and starred and "viewed" and at the same time ACTUAL parenting has gone down the drain.....

Nahhh........its "guns"
edit on 5/19/2018 by ManBehindTheMask because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 19 2018 @ 06:06 PM
link   
a reply to: Xtrozero

You’ve seen a kid touch a weed wacker voluntarily? I am impressed.

posted on May, 19 2018 @ 06:57 PM
link   

You’ve seen a kid touch a weed wacker voluntarily? I am impressed.

They play with it while you sleep....think about that....

posted on May, 19 2018 @ 07:01 PM
link   

Another thing to think about. What kind of mind decides to kill as many as possible let alone one. The guy who attacks a school to kill as much as possible is the same guy who would hit a noon dense crowd on a side walk with a truck.

We need to learn why this guy wanted to kill in the first place and we need to learn why could we not figure it out before he did. Take away all the guns and you still have this.

posted on May, 19 2018 @ 07:05 PM
link   

If we don't want kids shooting up school, How about we stop giving the kids access to guns? Mandatory life sentence without the possibility ofnpatole for any parent who has a member of their household arrested on a weapons charge using a wrapon that belongs to them. Problem solved. The issue is that we have these idiots teaching their adorable little kids how to use guns, who then grow up into typical hormonal and irrational creatures... with unfettered access to guns. If I had a dime for every jackass that said "Not my kid! They're disciplined and educated, and I've been giving them access to my guns since they were old enough to walk." As if we've had a single mass shooter that wasn't disciplined and educated on guns.

posted on May, 19 2018 @ 07:07 PM
link   
a reply to: Irishhaf

That's right. Take a disturbed adolescent and simply explain to them the value of being a good person! Problem solved. Thanks, buddy!

top topics

<< 1  2    4  5 >>

join