It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Okay, Now I Actually Do Want To Take Your Guns

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on May, 19 2018 @ 12:22 AM
link   
Article

If we could even start the conversation, that would be great. We can't do that though, so here we are.

We keep hearing the same thing as the root cause; mental illness. Then we turn around and cut funding to programs to combat and treat mental illness.

We keep hearing that it's bullying that's the issue; then we complain about the wussification of America and participation trophies and the normalization of previously 'abnormal' behavior.

Maybe it's the video games; millions upon millions of video games sold around the world and yet, only here, do we see violent mass shootings. There are plenty of people who readily admit that mass shootings are, by-far, the least accountable reason for gun violence in America.

The source article lays it out pretty nicely too:

All along, there have been opportunities for sensible, incremental changes. This year alone, we could have banned the manufacture of bump stocks, which turn semi-automatic weapons into automatic ones. We could have raised the minimum age for gun ownership from 18 to 21, or instate a national minimum age for long-gun ownership. We haven’t, largely because you have bought our government.

What you have done is double down. What you’ve done is convince your members that the occasional school shooting, the odd literal slaughter of innocents, is an unfortunate but inevitable quirk of American life, a thing that is necessary to preserve freedom. You have taken to our television screens to tell us that the world is an apocalyptic hellscape, and that the only way to be safe from gun violence is to stock our homes with guns.

We could do so much to reduce this without touching the constitution. We could require licensing of individuals to train and teach them basic safety measures on handling and storing weapons. We can require universal background checks. We can make it harder for kids, particularly teenagers, who are going through their formative hormonal years to even touch firearms.

We do none of this though and it's almost always the claims of slippery slopes that stop us. So I'm here to tell you I'm done. This is no longer a slope, this is a cliff. You've pushed us into a corner and now you'll have to deal with the consequences of your inaction.

+3 more 
posted on May, 19 2018 @ 12:24 AM
link   
a reply to: links234

You've pushed us into a corner and now you'll have to deal with the consequences of your inaction.

So now what?

posted on May, 19 2018 @ 12:29 AM
link   

What data do you have that its "Mental Illness"?

Can you even define mental illness in this context?

posted on May, 19 2018 @ 12:29 AM
link   
a reply to: JinMI

I'd say, as usual, you haven't thought this one through. You'll have to ban/register/train the use of cars, swimming pools, bath tubs, bicycles and the like first. After all, they're not Constitutionally protected.

Or move to Sweden.

+17 more 
posted on May, 19 2018 @ 12:33 AM
link   

originally posted by: links234
All along, there have been opportunities for sensible, incremental changes. This year alone, we could have banned the manufacture of bump stocks, which turn semi-automatic weapons into automatic ones. We could have raised the minimum age for gun ownership from 18 to 21, or instate a national minimum age for long-gun ownership. We haven’t, largely because you have bought our government.

First off, you will take my guns from my cold, dead fingers. Now that we have that pleasantry out of the way...

How would any of those ideas above have stopped school shootings this year? They didn't use bump stocks, we had kids 17 years or younger doing the shootings.

The rest of that crud is strawman argument - setting up an incorrect narrative then attacking it.
edit on 19-5-2018 by Teikiatsu because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 19 2018 @ 12:35 AM
link   
I will give one round.
Now , where do they want it ?
(paraphrase - Commander Sheppard - Mass Effect)

edit on 5/19/18 by Gothmog because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 19 2018 @ 12:37 AM
link   

What are you going to do with them all once you've taken them? Go on a rampage?

posted on May, 19 2018 @ 12:38 AM
link   

If you're threatening me?
You're gonna need a weapon, not
a gun.

posted on May, 19 2018 @ 12:40 AM
link   

originally posted by: nwtrucker
a reply to: JinMI

I'd say, as usual, you haven't thought this one through. You'll have to ban/register/train the use of cars, swimming pools, bath tubs, bicycles and the like first. After all, they're not Constitutionally protected.

Or move to Sweden.

They'd have better luck going house to house confiscating frying pans, tobacco products, alcohol, televisions and computers.

All which cause more deaths than guns as well.

+16 more 
posted on May, 19 2018 @ 12:40 AM
link   
Come and get them. Make sure you're not a hypocrite and use guns or men with guns to acquire them.

There are laws already in place. Enforce them.

Requiring classes and extra expenses to exercise a right is fine by me, if it's applied equally across the board.

Want to speak? Take classes and pay the speaking tax.

Want to worship? You got it, classes and a tax.

Want privacy and to make police get a warrant? Better pay your security tax.

Rights are non-negotiable. Keep pushing and see what happens.

Making a group of law-abiding citizens be held responsible for the actions of another is tyrannical, plain and simple.

posted on May, 19 2018 @ 12:41 AM
link   

originally posted by: Wide-Eyes

What are you going to do with them all once you've taken them? Go on a rampage?

Make them into flower vases for the do gooder ecovillages.

+12 more 
posted on May, 19 2018 @ 12:41 AM
link   
Classic.

"You plebs are a danger to yourselves. You can't trust your fellow citizens with weapons, so you'd better hand them all in to the government to keep yourselves safe from each other. Trust us, we won't abuse the fact you can't defend yourselves anymore even though we have no longer have any incentive not to."

Quite frankly, if these mass shootings are the price we have to pay for keeping the government at bay, I accept that. It's so funny liberals complain about how terrible and oppressive the US government can be, how it screws the poor, subsidizes the rich, is run by the MIC and is trying to rule the world via endless warfare (which is all true), yet somehow trust this same terrible government with the power to remove the people's ability to defend themselves from said government because "THINK OF THE CHILDREN".

Cognitive dissonance is a hell of a thing.

+3 more 
posted on May, 19 2018 @ 12:42 AM
link   

Want to stop kids from killing, teach them the value of human life, teach them that bullying a kid to the point of suicide/shooting rampage is not the way to be a decent human being. In the case of the most recent shooting we could investigate the story of teachers and coaches contributing to the bullying of this kid and prosecute if laws were broken.

Or I guess for narrative sake we could continue to blame inanimate objects, the constitution, the tooth fairy, the round rubber ball in dodge ball, the Pillsbury dough boy or whatever other thing people will point to.

posted on May, 19 2018 @ 12:43 AM
link   
You can have mine. Just come on over and get it..

+14 more 
posted on May, 19 2018 @ 12:52 AM
link   
Start in the schools, stop teaching kids to hate their own country by pushing that commie manifesto crap. That means getting less commie sympathizers as teachers.

Do away with gun free school zones, it only happens in gun free zones.

Get the kids off of the Ritalin and parent them.

You know like back when these school shootings were not a thing, before the progressive agendas crept in.

Kids don't even know what gender they are supposed to be anymore, and get that out of the classrooms too.

posted on May, 19 2018 @ 12:53 AM
link   
Good luck trying to take mine, hoss. My guess is that it ends bloody for ya.

posted on May, 19 2018 @ 01:03 AM
link   
Oh, and by the way, maybe the actual problem is the fact that there are parents (and I use the term loosely) out there that somehow are oblivious to the fact that they are raising (or NOT raising, to be a bit more accurate) a kid that is a psychotic NUTJOB.

It's just me, but that's what I'd put my money on.

Yeah. You're welcome.

edit on 19-5-2018 by MteWamp because: sp

posted on May, 19 2018 @ 01:11 AM
link   
but in Texas we all have dogs stay out in the yard and pastures....or else the desperate ones come empty your house during work hours....

early alert at least for a group coming to the front door....wait, I have ten doors....home in a metal building....
edit on 19-5-2018 by GBP/JPY because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 19 2018 @ 01:13 AM
link   
Prior military.

Trained and proficient on assault weapons.

Do we need a class too?

posted on May, 19 2018 @ 01:56 AM
link   

off-topic post removed to prevent thread-drift

new topics

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join