It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Any of you Brits know any EASY breakfast fare?

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on May, 19 2018 @ 02:30 AM
link   
Dammit, double post.

edit on 19-5-2018 by Spader because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 19 2018 @ 02:31 AM
link   
a reply to: Spader

Every one of y’alls suggestions were “spot on” as they say. I got hungry and made some bacon and eggs,Ha!!

Thanks to all of my friends who helped out! I’m printing this page out as we speak for future use.

Cheers!

posted on May, 19 2018 @ 02:31 AM
link   
You've already had descriptions of the classic English fried breakfast. I don't think anyone has mentioned the very popular "fried slice" (of bread, that is). You could subsitute that for the black pudding. My mother used to cook in lard, but you may not want to go that far.

I've read an anecdote that Winston Churchill liked to breakfast off chicken and champagne, but somebody else would have been preparing that.

posted on May, 19 2018 @ 02:33 AM
link   

originally posted by: DISRAELI
You've already had descriptions of the classic English fried breakfast. I don't think anyone has mentioned the very popular "fried slice" (of bread, that is). You could subsitute that for the black pudding. My mother used to cook in lard, but you may not want to go that far.

I've read an anecdote that Winston Churchill liked to breakfast off chicken and champagne, but somebody else would have been preparing that.

Holy crap! Who wouldn’t?

posted on May, 19 2018 @ 02:39 AM
link   

originally posted by: ElGoobero
may be a silly question, but how English are English Muffins?

I can't speak from personal experience, but I've read a comment that American English Muffins are nothing like the traditional Muffin found in England.
I can only go by the reference in "The Importance of Being Ernest"- the characters were spreading butter on them, like crumpets.

In my student days, late-night crumpets were being cooked on the electric bar fires installed on the walls.
The method was to stick the crumpet onto the protective grill. When it fell off, it was cooked on that side. Repeat for the other side.

posted on May, 19 2018 @ 05:25 AM
link   
Cheese n bacon macaroni sandwiches.

Everyone can make a decent cheese macaroni, same principle but separately fry off loads of smokey bacon and red onion and stir through the dish. Absolutely cover the top in panto breadcrumbs and all the cheese you can find. Mozzarella, Parmesan and cheddar (with chilli) is my fave. Finish under the grill til golden and chewy on top.

Serve big dollops between to heavily buttered dorrstop slabs of white bread with some HP sauce and ketchup.

Perfect after a heavy night and you can reheat the leftovers as a hangover cure.

Serve with builders brew!

posted on May, 19 2018 @ 12:54 PM
link   

originally posted by: DISRAELI

originally posted by: ElGoobero
may be a silly question, but how English are English Muffins?

I can't speak from personal experience, but I've read a comment that American English Muffins are nothing like the traditional Muffin found in England.
I can only go by the reference in "The Importance of Being Ernest"- the characters were spreading butter on them, like crumpets.

In my student days, late-night crumpets were being cooked on the electric bar fires installed on the walls.
The method was to stick the crumpet onto the protective grill. When it fell off, it was cooked on that side. Repeat for the other side.

crumpets hard to find. available from a company called Wolfermans (not affiliated)

I love me some BLTs on English Muffins. I like to make them late summer/fall with local tomatoes.
edit on 19-5-2018 by ElGoobero because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 19 2018 @ 03:23 PM
link   
THe British fried breakfast was designed to use up as much as possible to provide the most calories so most of it would be fried in the same pan as it took time in the days where you had to fire up a cooker and thus it was designed to be cheap as well so a high fat product which was quick and easy to cook at that time of the morning.

Fried bread would of been the last thing as it would of been used to soak up any fats left in the pan and baked beans became a popular thing as they were off ration in WW2 and at that point everything was of value.

Theres a saying that the only part of a pig you can't use is its squeal.

posted on May, 19 2018 @ 04:43 PM
link   
a reply to: DISRAELI

You just brought back memories of making toast on the coal fireplace as a kid. My mother hated it but we all loved it.

You also reminded me of "eggy breads" a fairly simple yet filling meal.

Foe the OP:

Take a couple if eggs, empty them into a jug or cup then add a touch of milk, I guess you could you cream... Around 10-20ml. Whisk it slightly then soak a few slices of bread in the mixture. Then fry.

I used to cut the sliced bread into 4 but it'll work fine with a full slice. Good on it's own or you can adulterate it with your favourite condiments.
edit on 19-5-2018 by RAY1990 because: (no reason given)

new topics

top topics

<< 1   >>

join