It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Any ex or former Christians?

page: 4
<< 1  2  3    5  6 >>

join
share:

posted on May, 18 2018 @ 09:23 PM
link   
a reply to: Ohthewey778

Hey, don't be so harsh on yourself.

We're all just humans, we screw up all too often. Even a thief can be redeemed. They can never delete the fact they stole but they can make amends and try to be a better version of themselves.

If Christianity isn't for you then it isn't for you.

Focus on what's good for you, what's good today and what'll be good for tomorrow. Nobody can calm a weary mind, it's something a person comes to terms with... If that makes sense?

Because after all, it's your mind. Nobody else's.

PM me if you like, I can be a good listener. Even if you just need to vent.

All the best,
Ray

posted on May, 18 2018 @ 09:29 PM
link   
a reply to: Raggedyman

Can one emphatically reject Jesus as their savior and still enter the Christian heaven?

If one's soul does not go to Heaven, what is it's fate?

You say it sounds like I was "confused". Negative, I was a child, influenced by adults in whom I had (mis)placed my trust.

Maybe you can clear things up?

posted on May, 18 2018 @ 09:32 PM
link   
a reply to: Ohthewey778

Probably not, or at least the "christians" on this site will never admit it

posted on May, 18 2018 @ 09:33 PM
link   
So, you treated someone badly and now you feel guilty?

Congratulations! And I do mean that sincerely. Do you realize how many people in today's world act like major jerks to others and never once stop to consider what they just did, much less suffer such agonies over it that they would actually consider leaving their personal faith over it because they think it makes them unworthy?!

Dude, you are actually a rare gem.

Now, I understand this doesn't make things any easier for you, and you genuinely are suffering from an agony of guilt. This is your call to make things right. Don't look at this as a negative so much as an opportunity for your own personal growth. And understand that as much as you try to turn your back on faith as a way to solve this, if you are this empathetic, you were likely this sensitive before religion got you. God doesn't make you emotionally sensitive. Some of us are and some of us are not regardless of our spiritual state.

In short, stop self-flagellating and do the right thing -- try to find way to make amends for your behavior. It's what will really make you feel better, not leaving your faith.

posted on May, 18 2018 @ 09:36 PM
link   

Answered in haste disregard. this
edit on 18-5-2018 by Ohthewey778 because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 18 2018 @ 09:41 PM
link   

originally posted by: Ohthewey778

Answered in haste please disregard.

Nevermind
edit on 18-5-2018 by ketsuko because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 18 2018 @ 09:44 PM
link   
a reply to: ketsuko

Huh? I made a post that I couldve worded better.

posted on May, 18 2018 @ 09:45 PM
link   

edit on 18-5-2018 by Ohthewey778 because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 18 2018 @ 09:56 PM
link   

originally posted by: cynicalheathen

Can one emphatically reject Jesus as their savior and still enter the Christian heaven?

If one's soul does not go to Heaven, what is it's fate?

You say it sounds like I was "confused". Negative, I was a child, influenced by adults in whom I had (mis)placed my trust.

Maybe you can clear things up?

If you reject Jesus you are saying I don't want a relationship with Jesus
If you don't want a relationship with Jesus then why would you want an afterlife?

The bible says their is a time of punishment then the soul is consumed, burned away like chaff, gone
Two trees in the Garden of Eden, tree of knowledge and tree of life, Adam ate from one. Hell is eternal, Satan and its demons are eternal but nowhere are humans described as eternal.
Is the soul of man eternal, not as I read it.

Ok, sounds like the adults were confused and confused you

This is okish
www.abovetopsecret.com...

posted on May, 18 2018 @ 10:04 PM
link   

Your post makes the assumption that only Christianity is correct and that the biblical Jesus is the son of the Abrahamic God.

It also makes the assumption that the Christian heaven is the only afterlife.

I have yet to see any hard evidence that Christianity ( or any religion for that matter ) is correct.

You have your faith, I have mine. Neither of us can prove our faith

You also didn't answer my question. Is acceptance of Jesus a prerequisite to enter the Christian heaven, or are there loopholes, like living a good life?

We have freedom of choice, but only the correct choice doesn't result in punishment?

posted on May, 18 2018 @ 10:11 PM
link   
a reply to: cynicalheathen

All will be judged under the law and none can keep the law. For this reason was Christ sent to earth.

So, if you are looking for a "loophole" to Christian doctrine, as it were, I suppose your "out" would be to perfectly follow God's laws like He did.

posted on May, 18 2018 @ 10:16 PM
link   
a reply to ketsuko

Look I know that what you're saying is I'm not a real Christian, that's rich coming from a random person on the net, besides you could've inferred it from the title. Thx for the compliments tho. If you want a savior or a crucified desert dude and its fun to go around in circles don't look at me..

edit on 19-5-2018 by Ohthewey778 because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 18 2018 @ 10:16 PM
link   

Well spotted, yes my assumption is Christianity is right
I am a Christian, what would you expect

If you havnt seen the evidence then look harder or don't, freewill, it's your choice

I am not pushing the gospel, you asked a question I just answered it out of courtesy
If you are not interested fine

I did answer your question.
If you don't want a relationship with Jesus then you obviously don't want to be in the Christian heaven with Him

It's an open invitation
Freewill again

You can be the greates human being on earth and not want a relationship with Jesus, if you are a wonderful person and reject Jesus, why would you expect or want to go be with Him
Your question doesn't make sense

To be in heaven is to be with God, if you don't want Him now, why would you want heaven?

posted on May, 18 2018 @ 10:18 PM
link   

Is acceptance of Jesus a prerequisite to enter the Christian heaven

Yes.

Romans 14:11

11For it is written, As I live, saith the Lord, every knee shall bow to me, and every tongue shall confess to God.

Phillipians 2:9-11

9 Wherefore God also hath highly exalted him, and given him a name which is above every name:

10 That at the name of Jesus every knee should bow, of things in heaven, and things in earth, and things under the earth;

11 And that every tongue should confess that Jesus Christ is Lord, to the glory of God the Father.

1 John 4:2-3

2 Hereby know ye the Spirit of God: Every spirit that confesseth that Jesus Christ is come in the flesh is of God:

3 And every spirit that confesseth not that Jesus Christ is come in the flesh is not of God:

Matthew 10:32-33

32 Whosoever therefore shall confess me (Jesus) before men, him will I confess also before my Father which is in heaven.

33 But whosoever shall deny me (Jesus) before men, him will I also deny before my Father which is in heaven.

posted on May, 18 2018 @ 10:18 PM
link   

Not looking for a "loophole" for myself as it were, just asking questions.

My personal belief as far as an "afterlife" goes is reincarnation. I believe that the soul is eternal and we come to the mortal plane to learn with each turn. What happens when we learn all we can, I cannot say. I do, at least, have the sense to admit that I could be wrong about all of it. I don't make the claim that my way is the only one.

There are all kinds of different beliefs, and they all claim to be correct. My own view is that they are all correct in their own way. I suppose one day we'll all find out.

posted on May, 18 2018 @ 10:25 PM
link   
a reply to: Deetermined

So then, in the Christian tradition, it is correct to say that one must accept Jesus as their Lord and savior in order to avoid punishment.

This is based on books, recorded and re-translated for over a millenia, based off of oral traditions, not recorded in written form until well after the events in question occurred, and subject to the politics of the time in which they were written down and/or translated, correct? Some of the books have been left out for whatever reason, is that also correct?

What about the oral traditions and writings of other religions? Do those not have as much merit as the Torah, Bible, or Quran?

Just trying to understand here.

posted on May, 18 2018 @ 10:33 PM
link   

originally posted by: cynicalheathen

Not looking for a "loophole" for myself as it were, just asking questions.

My personal belief as far as an "afterlife" goes is reincarnation. I believe that the soul is eternal and we come to the mortal plane to learn with each turn. What happens when we learn all we can, I cannot say. I do, at least, have the sense to admit that I could be wrong about all of it. I don't make the claim that my way is the only one.

There are all kinds of different beliefs, and they all claim to be correct. My own view is that they are all correct in their own way. I suppose one day we'll all find out.

You sound very much like the spiritual beliefs of Druidism.

carm.org...

There is actually quite a lot of members who lean towards their beliefs and philosophies.
It is the “ popular” way of spiritual beliefs in our times.

You are correct in saying we will find out more after we leave our mortal bodies. That is my belief as an imperfect Christian.

To the OP, it sounds like you want to apologize to this girl you hurt. If you can , do it. As Christians we are not “perfect “, though many like to hold us to an unrealistic expectation of standards and behaviours. We will always be in a struggle with spiritual forces of darkness that wish us harm so that we fall away from God’s love and the grace of His son , Jesus Christ. Hang in there and don’t let them win.

You are in my prayers through the Holy Spirit.

posted on May, 18 2018 @ 10:40 PM
link   

So then, in the Christian tradition, it is correct to say that one must accept Jesus as their Lord and savior in order to avoid punishment.

That is correct.

As for other religions, I can't tell you what they hold as I've never practiced them, so you'd have to ask someone else.

Much like Raggedyman has tried to explain, I only know what it's like to have a personal relationship with Jesus. Jesus has always come through for me and he answers my prayers. I lived my life the way I wanted through my 20's, but it was a very unfulfilling life until I turned my life back over to him and put every effort into living his will for my life instead of my own. I wish I could put into words what the power of the Holy Spirit has to offer, but it's something that must be experienced to understand.

posted on May, 18 2018 @ 10:41 PM
link   

originally posted by: Ohthewey778
a reply to ketsuko

Look I know what you're saying already with certain that I'm not a real Christian, that's rich coming from a random person on the net, besides you could've inferred it from the title though. Thx for the compliments tho. If you want a crucified desert man and its fun to go around on a trip don't look at me..

I said nothing with regards to your faith status.

I thought I made clear that the guilt you are feeling comes from a depth of empathic feeling that has little to do with that.

You can leave your faith and the guilt will continue because that's the kind of person you are inside. I hate to break that to you. In short, this isn't some punishment your faith has meted out to you, but one that your own personal state of being is tormenting you with.

Faith can help you with this by giving you an avenue to help you let go of the intense guilt, but it won't cause it only inasmuch is your faith often will shape your personal sense of what is right and what is wrong.

posted on May, 18 2018 @ 10:44 PM
link   
a reply to: Sheye

No, not really. I just believe that God will judge everyone at the end, and He does have a means of judging them.

The Jews will be judged under the Old Covenent, so that's as close as I can come. It can't be that exactly as we aren't talking about Jews, but it has to be something like it.

But I do know that God's standard is perfection, and no one is perfect. That's way we're saved through Grace, and why I put "loophole" in scare quotes.

new topics

top topics

<< 1  2  3    5  6 >>

join