It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Any ex or former Christians?

page: 3
<< 1  2    4  5  6 >>

join
share:

posted on May, 18 2018 @ 08:47 PM
link   
a reply to: japhrimu

Em,kay..

posted on May, 18 2018 @ 08:49 PM
link   
I'm done burned. Burned and burned and..

posted on May, 18 2018 @ 08:52 PM
link   
Look I've got these two narratives running in my head, like do I disclose too much or do I not etcetera etcetera etcetera, and I think I'm done with it. I trust myself I've got a rational mind..

posted on May, 18 2018 @ 08:54 PM
link   
Anyone can pm me.. I don't know what I'd talk about but I guess it's an option..maybe better than a discussion board just no d!
pics. Yeah I could deal without any of that.
edit on 18-5-2018 by Ohthewey778 because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 18 2018 @ 08:57 PM
link   
a reply to: Ohthewey778

I was raised a Christian. I believed what I was taught, then I got away from it during high school. In my early twenties, I went back to Christianity after I learned that God is the only lasting source of happiness in my life.

I tried going to church for a while, but that didn't last long. I don't tolerate the holy roller patty cake BS very well, so instead I order recorded in-depth Bible studies from a ministry located in Houston, Texas. They offer over 1000 hours of Bible studies from the Hebrew OT, the Greek LXX, and the Greek NT.

I've found that my relationship with God is founded upon:

1) Faith in Christ as the Lamb of God, who took away the sin of the world.

2) Consistent use of 1John 1:9 to refresh my mind from my sins

3) Consistent study and application of Biblical truth.

I turned away from God by failing to maintain #2&3. I find that's the usual case for believers who turn away from God.

Some people simply never believed in Christ in the first place, instead they repeated some crack-pot evangelist's prayer and "invited Christ into their hearts", or "made Christ their Lord". Those things aren't even remotely close to the gospel. Its about faith in Christ, not your ability to desire Christ.

So as a prodigal son, that's my experience.

edit on 18-5-2018 by BELIEVERpriest because: fixed link

edit on 18-5-2018 by BELIEVERpriest because: punctuation

posted on May, 18 2018 @ 08:59 PM
link   
Not so much nice from me

You treated a person badly, not very Christian at all
You lost said person for being horrible
Now you regret it and want to blame it on Christianity

Sorry, that doesn't cut it, Jesus taught love
You didn't love, you can't blame everyone else, man/woman up

It had nothing to do with Christianity, it was because you are not a nice person
Going to church doesn't make you a Christian, believing in Jesus doesn't make you a Christian

But we all fail, the trick is not to do it in an endless cycle, good luck

posted on May, 18 2018 @ 08:59 PM
link   

originally posted by: randomtangentsrme
a reply to: chr0naut

Which version of Jesus is the true one?

That is one you have to discover for yourself.

I could say that the Jesus of the Gospels is the genuine article, but that reflects my path and not necessarily yours.

The subject of the person of Jesus has been a hot one for thousands of years. He is written about and conjectured over probably more than any other single personality in history.

Most of those who have written about their personal paths in investigating Jesus, do so from an entirely positive standpoint (from a Christian perspective). It would be unwise to entirely reinvent the wheel and disregard all that has gone before, just as it would be to negate your personal investigation and 'go with the crowd'.

posted on May, 18 2018 @ 09:06 PM
link   
a reply to: Raggedyman

I can't man woman up.. I'm also not blaming everyone else. Where'd you...you know okay maybe your right and I'm not a christ- uhh hold up because if you're telling me from an anonymous message board "get the to church" and all I appreciate on one hand that you care but I'm done burned. Burned burned burned..trust me

posted on May, 18 2018 @ 09:07 PM
link   

originally posted by: chr0naut

I could say that the Jesus of the Gospels is the genuine article, but that reflects my path and not necessarily yours.

The Gospels are contradictory, and then you can look into the Gnostic gospels. . .
But I appreciate your honest answer.

Out of respect for the OP, I will not take this conversation further on this thread. If you would like to continue it feel free to PM me, or perhaps our paths will cross again.
I enjoy respectful disagreement in religious discussions, but this thread is not the place.

Respectfully.
Random

link   

originally posted by: BELIEVERpriest

I was raised a Christian. I believed what I was taught, then I got away from it during high school. In my early twenties, I went back to Christianity after I learned that God is the only lasting source of happiness in my life.

I tried going to church for a while, but that didn't last long. I don't tolerate the holy roller patty cake BS very well, so instead I order recorded in-depth Bible studies from a ministry located in Houston, Texas. They offer over 1000 hours of Bible studies from the Hebrew OT, the Greek LXX, and the Greek NT.

I turned away from God by failing to maintain #2&3. I find that's the usual case for believers who turn away from God.

Some people simply never believed in Christ in the first place, instead they repeated some crack-pot evangelist's prayer and "invited Christ into their hearts", or "made Christ their Lord". Those things aren't even remotely close to the gospel. Its about faith in Christ, not your ability to desire Christ.

So as a prodigal son, that's my experience.

The prayer "inviting Jesus into your heart" is not mentioned once in the Bible.

link   
a reply to: BELIEVERpriest

I've tried so maybe I'm really bad off.-

posted on May, 18 2018 @ 09:10 PM
link   

originally posted by: BELIEVERpriest

I forgot to add:

4) Consistent prayer as your line of communication to God.

If you don't talk to God, you have no relationship with Him.

James 4:
You do not have because you do not ask. 3 You ask and do not receive, because you ask with wrong motives, so that you may spend it on your lusts.

Its not rocket science...its spirituality (εὐσέβειαν).

posted on May, 18 2018 @ 09:12 PM
link   

This guy gets it!

No but seriously, I've known a couple of people who wish to be seen as Christians but in times of trouble and strife they act all too human, humility has always been a defining part of Christianity for me. I've also known people try their best to act like Christians but a darkness within them holds them back somewhat.

I'm always humbled by someone who walks that fine line... It isn't always easy to be a Christian.

Again, I wouldn't call myself a Christian. I do however try to embody the greatness within it. Giving my cloak as well as my coat if one should ask. Because it isn't always easy to ask.

I've learnt a lot over time from all the Abrahamic religions, fundamental truths. Like how one should treat guests for instance.

posted on May, 18 2018 @ 09:13 PM
link   

originally posted by: Ohthewey778
a reply to: Raggedyman

I can't man woman up.. I'm also not blaming everyone else. Where'd you...you know okay maybe your right and I'm not a christ- uhh hold up because if you're telling me from an anonymous message board "get the to church" and all I appreciate on one hand that you care but I'm done burned. Burned burned burned..trust me

Matey, I never told you to do anything
What I told you is it sounds like you are trying to blame Christianity for being a dick
Christianity, Jesus doesn't teach people to be dicks, it teaches people to love, unconditionally and to death

Want to know what I think you should do, forgive yourself, move on
Forgiving yourself can be the hardest thing to do, mean hard, but you have to learn skills to forgive yourself, Christian or not, forgive yourself

If you find the person who you hurt apologise with no expectations from her

I bet you are burned, move forward, get help, being burned ain't going to get any better by talking to people on the net

posted on May, 18 2018 @ 09:13 PM
link   

Well, thankfully for you, faith is not very physically strenuous. So, talk to God about it, drink a glass of warm milk and go to bed. You'll feel better in the morning. Or don't listen to me. The chances of you finding a solution to your spiritual problems on a conspiracy theory forum are slim. I would definitely ask God for His opinion first.

posted on May, 18 2018 @ 09:14 PM
link   

Human beings are rocket science. I'm done on that trip though, glad you found a group I'm burned out

posted on May, 18 2018 @ 09:15 PM
link   

I'm not uh can I say this, yeah I'm not looking for answers. Doesn't mean I don't uh, yeah I'm gone..
edit on 18-5-2018 by Ohthewey778 because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 18 2018 @ 09:16 PM
link   
As a child I was taught to be a Christian using fear.

"Do as we say or you'll face severe eternal punishment. You better accept and love Jesus Christ or you'll go to Hell!" Such is the way in the American South...

So at the tender age of 10, I was baptised. I mimicked what I was shown, I repeated the words without understanding them. All because of fear. Fear of punishment, fear of not fitting in, fear of damnation.

As I got older, I began to read and apply logic to religion. As you can imagine, this caused friction. Even now, as a 35yo, I am selective about who I reveal my heathenism to, so as to avoid problems from the ignorant.

I hold organized religion in general in a dim view. I have no gripe or problem with any particular faith. I'm very live and let live. I hold a lot of respect for those who hold their faith as a result of deep personal reflection, not due to habit and fear. I am, however, very distrustful of churches in general, and even moreso of the outwardly fervent and devout.

I do believe in a force or deity beyond myself. I, however, have the maturity and intelligence to admit that I do not know which sect ( if any ) is correct. I tend to gravitate towards the Celtic, Norse, and Germanic ways. Probably because it's in my DNA.

I do know this: Any deity that demands worship or you will suffer eternal damnation is undeserving of worship.

posted on May, 18 2018 @ 09:19 PM
link   

originally posted by: chr0naut

The Gospels are contradictory, and then you can look into the Gnostic gospels. . .
But I appreciate your honest answer.

Out of respect for the OP, I will not take this conversation further on this thread. If you would like to continue it feel free to PM me, or perhaps our paths will cross again.
I enjoy respectful disagreement in religious discussions, but this thread is not the place.

Respectfully.
Random

I disagree that the gospels are contradictory. Three of them are called the synoptic gospels because they describe very similar events in very similar sequence to each other. There are differences, but they do not contradict.

Similarly with the rest of the Bible, there are things which some say are contradictions,but under investigation the supposed contradictions are revealed to be saying the same thing and it is the misinterpretation of one or both passages that is in contradiction. The passages when interpreted correctly agree and reinforce the true interpretation.

posted on May, 18 2018 @ 09:22 PM
link   
a reply to: cynicalheathen

Where does eternal damnation come into it, sounds like you were confused, more is the pity

top topics

<< 1  2    4  5  6 >>

join