It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

School shooter used SHOTGUN AND REVOLVER

page: 5
<< 2  3  4    6  7  8 >>

join
share:

posted on May, 18 2018 @ 04:43 PM
link   
a reply to: RalagaNarHallas

You’re right - what am I thinking. Just leave ‘em on the kitchen table, or better yet, put ‘em in our kid’s rooms right on the bed. Bullets loaded and safety off. Might as well...

posted on May, 18 2018 @ 04:45 PM
link   
The criminals who orchestrated this used cell phone signal jammers. They couldn't get through to 911.

posted on May, 18 2018 @ 04:45 PM
link   
a reply to: Shamrock6

and the minute they do that they loose the argument entirely en.wikipedia.org...

"Think of the children" (also "What about the children?") is a cliché that evolved into a rhetorical tactic.[1][2][3] Literally it refers to children's rights (as in discussions of child labor).[4][5][6] In debate, however, as a plea for pity, used as an appeal to emotion, it is a logical fallacy.[1][2][3]
and

Logical fallacy In their 2002 book, Art, Argument, and Advocacy: Mastering Parliamentary Debate, John Meany and Kate Shuster called the use of the phrase "Think of the children" in debate a type of logical fallacy and an appeal to emotion.[1] According to the authors, a debater may use the phrase to emotionally sway members of the audience and avoid logical discussion.[1] They provide an example: "I know this national missile defense plan has its detractors, but won't someone please think of the children?"[1] Their assessment was echoed by Margie Borschke in an article for the journal Media International Australia incorporating Culture and Policy, with Borschke calling its use a rhetorical tactic.[3] Ethicist Jack Marshall described "Think of the children!" as a tactic used in an attempt to end discussion by invoking an unanswerable argument.[2] According to Marshall, the strategy succeeds in preventing rational debate.[2] He called its use an unethical manner of obfuscating debate, misdirecting empathy towards an object which may not have been the focus of the original argument.[2] Marshall wrote that although the phrase's use may have a positive intention, it evokes irrationality when repeatedly used by both sides of a debate.[2] He concluded that the phrase can transform the observance of regulations into an ethical quandary, cautioning society to avoid using "Think of the children!" as a final argument.[2] In his 2015 syndicated article "Think Of The Children", Michael Reagan criticized the phrase's use by politicians.[27] According to Reagan, politicians needed to stop using children as tools when arguing for favored governmental programs.[27] He called the tactic an illogical argument, an act of desperation by those who felt they had a weaker case with reason-based arguments.[27] Noting that it has been used by Democrats and Republicans alike in the United States,[27] Reagan called the tactic "obvious political BS".[27]

posted on May, 18 2018 @ 04:46 PM
link   

Notice none of those are really safes. They are more lock boxes.
edit on 18-5-2018 by luthier because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 18 2018 @ 04:47 PM
link   
a reply to: Whoisjohngalt

I dont know how familiar you are with gun safes, but unless you want to spend more than a weeks pay on one, a safe can be cut open by a dremel or a grinder, easily.

Pretty weak excuse.

If you want to own a gun, a proper gun safe is a must, as is budgeting for it.

Doing it half arsed is why so many people are hurt and injured from guns.

You want your guns but don’t want to respect them.

posted on May, 18 2018 @ 04:51 PM
link   
a reply to: RAY1990

If there's a specific intent and reason behind a search then it's not random. Perhaps you misunderstand the meaning of the word random, but "with a specific reason that must be announced" is for all intents and purposes the exact opposite of random.

the police don't just do things for the sake of doing things.

Which would be doing things at random.

then again it isn't me who's got a bee in their bonnet is it?

Who knows what's in your bonnet?

You entered the thread being a bell end so I'll leave you to it... To be a bell end.

Not really. I entered the thread to express my shock that somebody was seriously advancing the notion of government agents being permitted to randomly enter people's homes on a whim. It's not my fault you chose to make it appear as if that's normal in the UK and therefore not an abnormal idea. But you take care now

posted on May, 18 2018 @ 04:51 PM
link   

Right again. When it comes right down to it, if it ain’t my kid, who cares... Hey, the more kids that get shot, the shorter the lines will be at Disney World for me and my kid! Whoo Hoo! Score!

posted on May, 18 2018 @ 04:53 PM
link   

originally posted by: kaylaluv

Right again. When it comes right down to it, if it ain’t my kid, who cares... Hey, the more kids that get shot, the shorter the lines will be at Disney World for me and my kid! Whoo Hoo! Score!

Oh, here we go. Nobody likes my idea to allow the government into their homes whenever the government feels like it, time to fall back on wildly hyperbolic commentary!

posted on May, 18 2018 @ 04:54 PM
link   
a reply to: Shamrock6

Hyperbole? Have ya been in the lines at Disney World? Long as hell...

posted on May, 18 2018 @ 04:56 PM
link   
a reply to: kaylaluv

I almost forgot what a hysterical and illogical person you are.

You literally advocated for violating the constitution on multiple fronts, and you equate my opposition to it with appoval for murder.

posted on May, 18 2018 @ 04:59 PM
link   

originally posted by: Chadwickus

I dont know how familiar you are with gun safes, but unless you want to spend more than a weeks pay on one, a safe can be cut open by a dremel or a grinder, easily.

Pretty weak excuse.

If you want to own a gun, a proper gun safe is a must, as is budgeting for it.

Doing it half arsed is why so many people are hurt and injured from guns.

You want your guns but don’t want to respect them.

Well according to my infallible state, the cheapo $200 safe, or even cable locks, are good enough and they would never pass a gun control law that wasnt absolutely grounded in logic and reason!
Seriously though, putting an additional $500-$10,000 requirement on a constitutional right (which gun ownership is) is an undue burden and discriminates against the poor (who live in high crime areas and need guns most).
What if i said in order to practice free speech, you needed to have a certificate from the local community college saying you took critical thinking and that you know all the locigal fallacies so you didnt fall for stupid arguements. And you had to pay for it yourself. Thats doesnt seem right does it?

posted on May, 18 2018 @ 05:00 PM
link   
maybe i'm not saying this right so i'll just say it more simply..

america doesn't actually have a school mass murder problem, the statistics are distorted to make every school shooting incident look like a student murdered other students, when that doesn't reflect reality.

posted on May, 18 2018 @ 05:01 PM
link   
a reply to: kaylaluv

i said nothing of the sort in my comments just saying safes arent as "safe" as you think they are , i had a two year old living with me (im a landlord) kid wasnt mine but we still taught her gun safety (she got a little nuts with the dog with the airsoft gun her mother provided her) when the kid moved in i put all of my guns in various safes(from floor mounted to BS little hand gun safes) just to be cautious(read not get sued) and usually kept my bedroom door locked and she was told to never go upstairs,she never listened to the latter rule.

but the point was the thing she did listen to was the gun safety lecture we gave her telling her if she sees a gun to not touch it and start saying "dangerous Pew pew" if she ever saw one laying around, she never once got near one of my guns but her mother kept a .410 shot gun in her unlocked room (i stored the ammo separately as she was not the best her self at gun safety) and the mother left a loaded pink 9mm LC9 next to the kitchen table where i made the kiddo breakfast every morning ,the 2 and a half year old child did exactly as instructed said "dangerous pew pew" until i had unloaded it and removed it from her presence . you can have them hidden locked up or out of sight but what it came down to was HER knowing what to do and what NOT to do when finding a gun on her own ,this kept her from becoming a statistic just with the knowledge of what to do IF she found one unattended.

if you have guns in your house locked up that does not mean every single friend of that child for their entire childhood will do the same and that is where educating them on gun safety comes into play . ya cant make sure they will never be around people who may have a gun some day but you can teach them to be frigging smart about it and unlike other optiosn its the only free one out there that does not discriminate against income or housing choice of the gun owner. hard to have a 2000 pound safe in a tiny apartment

posted on May, 18 2018 @ 05:10 PM
link   

Interesting argument.... you need a certificate (licence) to own a gun, though right?

So when I say interesting, I really mean absurd.

I’m sorry, but again, if you want the tool but don’t want to look after it properly, you shouldn’t have the tool.

It’s number when owning a gun. Anything less, and you don’t deserve it.

posted on May, 18 2018 @ 05:12 PM
link   

Some important things you say here.

Gun safety is very important. Could probably ly clean up 3000 or so accidents.

I need to point out that bolting your safe down greatly increases it's difficulty even pry barring. Particularly if you place it where leverage is difficult to gain.

And many people don't realize you can find jewelers safes used that are often better than high end gun safes.

posted on May, 18 2018 @ 05:12 PM
link   

originally posted by: toysforadults
you know what's wrong with modern culture?

forcing men to be little pussy boys who can't fight it out or express their aggression in a meaningful way

it's ingrained in us from tens of thousands of years of war and harsh living conditions, stop fighting human nature

So he does the human thing. Tries revenge and/or killing the trouble maker(s) with some collateral damage. It's what our nation does in the world.

posted on May, 18 2018 @ 05:13 PM
link   
a reply to: Voyaging
I am 65 years old. I had a run in with a male bully in grade school. A female bully in Junior High, and a knock down drag out with a male bully in High School. When I graduated High School I was 5' 9" and weighed all of 96 lbs. I left enough of an impact to insure that each encounter was the last encounter that I had with the bully, and no guns were used. I will admit that I did employ the used of a Coke bottle with the High School bully but he was 6' and was 4 times my size, so I didn't feel it was a bad thing using an equalizer. My Dad always said it was a sorry excuse for a man to ever hit a woman, so I told myself he deserved it.

I will also admit it was a different time and even though guns were in every home it was rare that they were ever used as a method for handling a disagreement or altercation. So much of what we consider "normal" today has become non-PC, antiquated, and unacceptable. Since we can't go backwards, we need to be more accepting of the fact that all of our changes have not been for the better, and we need to be more active about fixing those problems we have created.

edit on 18-5-2018 by NightSkyeB4Dawn because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 18 2018 @ 05:20 PM
link   

originally posted by: namehere
maybe i'm not saying this right so i'll just say it more simply..

america doesn't actually have a school mass murder problem, the statistics are distorted to make every school shooting incident look like a student murdered other students, when that doesn't reflect reality.

You are correct. In 2017, in the US, one more person was killed by lightning strike, than killed with a gun on a school ground. I think the numbers were 16-15 deaths.
But whenever i make that point, knee jerk people screech "one is too many!" and "DEAD CHILDREN!"
For gun control people, it isnt about numbers. Its about maintaining the illusion of safety. The idea that somewhere children are dying from guns and something must be done so i feel safe again. I mean, the realistic answer is that , statistically, a certain number of people will die, and thats the price we have to pay to live in a free society. But that answer doesnt fly because it doesnt address the "illusion of safety". Infact, in runs counter to it and forces people to accept that somethings are beyond their control, which just makes them feel more helpless unless they come to peace with it. So its not an agruement you convince people with. Instead the right (me included) have to have an arguement that isnt real about a statistical anomaly, so people dont go for the quick and emotionally satisfying "ban guns" solution that most other countries when for.

posted on May, 18 2018 @ 05:20 PM
link   
a reply to: NightSkyeB4Dawn

Since we can't go backwards, we need to be more accepting of the facet that all of our changes have not been for the better, and we need to be more active about fixing those problems we have created.

Makes sense. The problems is that too many people will not see it.

Just because someone is different does make the bad or less.

edit on 5/18/2018 by roadgravel because: typos

posted on May, 18 2018 @ 05:23 PM
link   

originally posted by: kaylaluv
Well, he shouldn’t have been able to get hold of his father’s guns. Were they locked up like they should have been?

This is why we should require by law guns be locked up at all times, and we should have random checks to make sure they are - I believe there are other countries that do this.

If they had been properly locked up, this kid wouldn’t have been able to shoot anyone.

If Adam Lanza’s mother had properly locked hers up, he wouldn’t have been able to shoot anyone.

You wanna be the first of many to attempt violate my 4th Amendment rights?

new topics

top topics

<< 2  3  4    6  7  8 >>

join