It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

School shooter used SHOTGUN AND REVOLVER

page: 14
<< 11  12  13    15  16  17 >>

join
share:

posted on May, 21 2018 @ 06:55 AM
link   

originally posted by: projectvxn
a reply to: DJW001

Likewise hold gun owners who allow their firearms to be stolen and used in a crime accountable.

Punish victims of crime?

Neat.

Maybe then people will wake up to the fact that every right comes with a corresponding responsibility.

Unless you're a gun owner, right? Because that's not really a right.

I mean, being a gun owner means your 4th amendment rights don't matter.

Being a gun owner means you're going to jail for getting your property stolen.

You antis suck.

This is dangerous territory, he is saying that parents should be responsible if their kids get a hold of their not so safely stored weapons, you're saying people are responsible for their own actions...

You are both right, but where do we draw the line of responsibility of parents and responsibility of self?

posted on May, 21 2018 @ 08:11 AM
link   
a reply to: hopenotfeariswhatweneed

In my state, parents are required by law to keep firearms secured if they have people under the age of 18 living with them. The statute is broad enough that "secured" can mean anything from all the ammo is stored in a safe and the firearms themselves are unsecured to ammo is out but firearms aren't to the firearm is kept cocked locked and ready to rock, but it's inside a safe. Practically any effort at all to secure the firearm is typically considered good enough to avoid criminal charges, so when a parent does get charged under that statute, it means they did absolutely nothing at all to prevent the minor from getting their hands on the firearm.

And I don't have a problem with that at all.

But charging parents because their kid broke the law in order to further break the law? Short of never leaving your child alone, how are you supposed to control their every action 24/7? I don't get that at all.

posted on May, 21 2018 @ 08:39 AM
link   
a reply to: Shamrock6

You can't control a child you can only provide good advice, guidance and be a positive role model , the rest is up to them, there's no easy answer other than the parent regardless of law has a duty of care for their children to avoid them ruining their lives by doing something stupid and reckless.

posted on May, 21 2018 @ 09:31 AM
link   
a reply to: Whoisjohngalt

I replied to a FB post that a friend put up, it was a cartoon of the shooting with an AR-15 in it and "Take all the Guns and BAN THE NRA!!" as the main message.

So, I posted a simple question that not a single person there would even take on.

"So, had he stolen his dad's semi truck instead of his shotgun and revolver, would you be calling for a ban on the American Truckers Association because he rammed the truck into the school killing "X" number of people?"

The answer is no.

Fred..

posted on May, 21 2018 @ 09:36 AM
link   

originally posted by: kaylaluv
Well, he shouldn’t have been able to get hold of his father’s guns. Were they locked up like they should have been?

This is why we should require by law guns be locked up at all times, and we should have random checks to make sure they are - I believe there are other countries that do this.

If they had been properly locked up, this kid wouldn’t have been able to shoot anyone.

If Adam Lanza’s mother had properly locked hers up, he wouldn’t have been able to shoot anyone.

Sure if if you wish to exercise your 1st amendment right, the government can randomly come into your house and search through your computer and any journals you may have or keep, to make sure you're not spouting hate or anti-government propaganda.

They can start with your house, sound good?

posted on May, 21 2018 @ 09:50 AM
link   

originally posted by: uninspired

originally posted by: kaylaluv
Well, he shouldn’t have been able to get hold of his father’s guns. Were they locked up like they should have been?

This is why we should require by law guns be locked up at all times, and we should have random checks to make sure they are - I believe there are other countries that do this.

If they had been properly locked up, this kid wouldn’t have been able to shoot anyone.

If Adam Lanza’s mother had properly locked hers up, he wouldn’t have been able to shoot anyone.

Sure if if you wish to exercise your 1st amendment right, the government can randomly come into your house and search through your computer and any journals you may have or keep, to make sure you're not spouting hate or anti-government propaganda.

They can start with your house, sound good?

This wins the internet post of the day award.

Fred..

posted on May, 21 2018 @ 10:45 AM
link   
a reply to: fredrodgers1960

Coulda shoulda woulda. He didn’t steal his dad’s semi truck, did he? Adam Lanza didn’t steal his mom’s truck either.

How weird is it that every school shooting involved guns and not trucks? Hmmmmm.....

posted on May, 21 2018 @ 10:54 AM
link   
a reply to: uninspired

There are no laws against anti-government propaganda. Anti-government propaganda doesn’t shoot bullets that kill people.

If you own a gun, you have the responsibility of securing it so that a child or a disturbed teen can’t get at it. We know full well from many, many news stories about children getting hold of a gun and accidentally shooting themselves or other children, that there are plenty of dumb asses out there who do not secure their guns properly. How do we prevent that from happening?

posted on May, 21 2018 @ 10:55 AM
link   
a reply to: uninspired

I’ll also say this. If I owned a gun, I would not have a problem with periodically being checked to make sure I have it stored properly.

posted on May, 21 2018 @ 12:13 PM
link   
a reply to: kaylaluv

Your willingness to sacrifice one of your rights for the "privilege" to express another is un-American, and it spits on the graves of all those who have sacrificed their lives to ensure that you maintain all of your rights.

I posted this in another thread regarding the same issue, and it seems fitting here as well:

If people really wanted to solve the issue of school fatalities they would focus on the causes instead of the symptoms. Without addressing the causes, the symptoms (like school shootings) will simply find new deadly methods to express themselves. I'd wager that we would see a drastic reduction, if not elimination, of such tragedies if two simple steps were taken.

1) ZERO tolerance for bullying in schools. If your child can't behave by treating others with respect at school, then expulsion should be the course of action. Force parents to actually TEACH their child how to behave, and the kid can try again next school year.

2) Legally restrict social media profiles (facebook, instagram, twitter, etc.) to 18+. There is no good reason for any child to be posting personal information online, and social media has magnified "traditional bullying" to the point of true torture pushing more and more kids over the edge every year. Once upon a time bullied kids could at least find some reprieve when they got home from school. With today's social media obsession there is no reprieve. Bullying continues 24/7 pushing more and more kids past the human breaking point.

The fact of the matter is that in today's world it's been proven time and time again that bullying eventually has very real and deadly consequences. I realize that it's much easier for people to blame inanimate objects than to take responsibility for their own actions, but enough is enough. No amount of punishing law abiding gun owners will solve these issues. Ban guns entirely, and you'll see kids hacking their way through the halls with machetes. Ban knives, and kids will pull a fire alarm to plow down the exiting crowd with a vehicle. Crying about the symptoms is just a futile exercise of whack-a-mole if the root causes are not addressed.

posted on May, 21 2018 @ 12:19 PM
link   

If I owned a gun

You evidently don't, so what you claim you would do, or wouldn't do, if you did is as irrelevant to the issue as the price of eggs in Beijing.

I would not have a problem with periodically being checked to make sure I have it stored properly.

Just because you're happy to let the government wander around your house whenever they feel like it doesn't make that normal or acceptable for anybody else.

posted on May, 21 2018 @ 01:02 PM
link   
a reply to: Shamrock6

The rule of 'I don't care because it doesn't apply to me'.

posted on May, 21 2018 @ 01:23 PM
link   

originally posted by: seagull
a reply to: Mach2

My parents/grandparents didn't need a gun safe. The kids knew, upon certain unspecified punishments (death, imho...), that those guns in the closet, and in the nightstand were forbidden territory and not to be touched.

Oddly enough, they trusted that it'd be enough. Equally oddly, it was.

M'kay. That's all well and good, but school shootings still happen. Perhaps relying on adults to judge their kids is a bad idea.

Parents of kids who shoot up schools should be charged with negligence at the very least. Do the bare minimum and lock up your guns if you have kids. Take them out when you're home if you want protection.

Kids are impulsive idiots, and there are a lot of complete dumbass and oblivious parents. This isn't about you, or you're parents. It's about all the other dumbasses.

No one should be going into your home to check, people who think that are complete morons. The resources that would require in this country alone make it unfeasible, regardless of the illegality. Make the parents accountable if their kid shoots up a school and I bet a WHOLE lot more will start locking their stuff up. It's really not a huge imposition. It's essentially keeping cleaning products on a higher shelf when you have a baby crawling around.

If you can't stomach the thought of your little precious being an asshole then justify locking up your guns to keep them safe from theft.

posted on May, 21 2018 @ 01:52 PM
link   
a reply to: Domo1

M'kay. That's all well and good, but school shootings still happen. Perhaps relying on adults to judge their kids is a bad idea.

No, really? School shootings still happen? Then who is going to judge them pray, if not the adults in their lives?

Parents of kids who shoot up schools should be charged with negligence at the very least. Do the bare minimum and lock up your guns if you have kids. Take them out when you're home if you want protection.

Surely they should be charged. Part of the responsibility of being a parent is knowing when there's a problem, and either fixing it themselves, or getting someone who can involved. Relying on locks, rather then making sure your kids know, beyond any reasonable doubt, a little something called discipline? I guess we'll just agree to disagree on that.

Kids are impulsive idiots, and there are a lot of complete dumbass and oblivious parents. This isn't about you, or you're parents. It's about all the other dumbasses.

Of course kids are impulsive. That's why a parent must discipline where and when necessary. Teaching right from wrong is included in that.

Since I don't read minds, I can only go by my own experience, so this dumbass is using anecdotal evidence. Don't like my opinions, don't read 'em.

No one should be going into your home to check, people who think that are complete morons.

Agreed.

The resources that would require in this country alone make it unfeasible, regardless of the illegality. Make the parents accountable if their kid shoots up a school and I bet a WHOLE lot more will start locking their stuff up.

Agreed, again.

It's really not a huge imposition. It's essentially keeping cleaning products on a higher shelf when you have a baby crawling around.

Where did I say you shouldn't, or couldn't, do that? Don't recall it. I did say, however, that my parents didn't need to because we'd been trained, beginning at a young age, that the guns in the house were off limits.

If you can't stomach the thought of your little precious being an asshole then justify locking up your guns to keep them safe from theft.

My little precious has her moments, because she marches to the beat of her own drum. Always has. I don't have to worry about her.

If someone else breaks into my home while I'm not there, they'll find, **gasp** that the gun cabinet is locked. While I'm there, well, let's just say something else will be locked, and loaded.

posted on May, 21 2018 @ 02:05 PM
link   

originally posted by: butcherguy

Other countries may allow for random checks in your home.
In this country, that would be just a tad unconstitutional.

So is the patriot act, still waiting for someone to get mad about that. Or how about the large scale internet monitoring?or you know, just carry on like there isn't a problem.. Worked so far.. Right.

posted on May, 21 2018 @ 02:06 PM
link   

originally posted by: redmage

Your willingness to sacrifice one of your rights for the "privilege" to express another is un-American, and it spits on the graves of all those who have sacrificed their lives to ensure that you maintain all of your rights.

I posted this in another thread regarding the same issue, and it seems fitting here as well:

If people really wanted to solve the issue of school fatalities they would focus on the causes instead of the symptoms. Without addressing the causes, the symptoms (like school shootings) will simply find new deadly methods to express themselves. I'd wager that we would see a drastic reduction, if not elimination, of such tragedies if two simple steps were taken.

1) ZERO tolerance for bullying in schools. If your child can't behave by treating others with respect at school, then expulsion should be the course of action. Force parents to actually TEACH their child how to behave, and the kid can try again next school year.

2) Legally restrict social media profiles (facebook, instagram, twitter, etc.) to 18+. There is no good reason for any child to be posting personal information online, and social media has magnified "traditional bullying" to the point of true torture pushing more and more kids over the edge every year. Once upon a time bullied kids could at least find some reprieve when they got home from school. With today's social media obsession there is no reprieve. Bullying continues 24/7 pushing more and more kids past the human breaking point.

The fact of the matter is that in today's world it's been proven time and time again that bullying eventually has very real and deadly consequences. I realize that it's much easier for people to blame inanimate objects than to take responsibility for their own actions, but enough is enough. No amount of punishing law abiding gun owners will solve these issues. Ban guns entirely, and you'll see kids hacking their way through the halls with machetes. Ban knives, and kids will pull a fire alarm to plow down the exiting crowd with a vehicle. Crying about the symptoms is just a futile exercise of whack-a-mole if the root causes are not addressed.

So your solution is to blame everything other than guns or gun ownership or gun safety.. Cool

posted on May, 21 2018 @ 02:09 PM
link   

originally posted by: Taggart

originally posted by: butcherguy

Other countries may allow for random checks in your home.
In this country, that would be just a tad unconstitutional.

So is the patriot act, still waiting for someone to get mad about that. Or how about the large scale internet monitoring?or you know, just carry on like there isn't a problem.. Worked so far.. Right.

Yes, there are a lot of things that need to be fixed in rhe US.
A good start would be to put a stop to any new unconstitutional laws and regulations.

posted on May, 21 2018 @ 02:20 PM
link   

originally posted by: Taggart
So your solution is to blame everything other than guns or gun ownership or gun safety.. Cool

My solution is to address the causes instead of using deflection to ignore them.

It's not gun ownership nor gun safety that is causing kids to have mental breakdowns resulting in them killing their peers, and trampling or revoking the rights of law abiding citizens won't fix that issue.

This may come as a surprise to you, but inanimate objects can't and don't act on their own behalf. Blaming inanimate objects for the actions of people is simply absurd.
edit on 5/21/18 by redmage because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 21 2018 @ 02:45 PM
link   
a reply to: Taggart

So there's a problem with actually trying to get to the root of the problem? Instead you want to ignore that, and blame the tool?

Yeah, that'll solve it.

posted on May, 21 2018 @ 02:48 PM
link   

Fortunately, you're in the minority.

Most people, thankfully, have an issue with unlawful search and seizure.

new topics

top topics

<< 11  12  13    15  16  17 >>

join