It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

School shooter used SHOTGUN AND REVOLVER

page: 10
<< 7  8  9    11  12  13 >>

join
share:

posted on May, 19 2018 @ 06:45 AM
link   
a reply to: network dude

Of course it's a problem. Doesn't mean we should make it easy for people like him to get guns. I say we make it as hard as possible.

posted on May, 19 2018 @ 06:46 AM
link   
a reply to: RAY1990

I thought you were gonna leave me to it?

Then again, you did just say in the span of two sentences that you spend time wondering about me but tried to downplay it by following it up with how much you don’t care.

I really don’t care where you’re from when I reply to people. I don’t keep track of it aside from the obvious ones that have UK in their name. Your comment made it appear that things are a certain way in the UK. The only reason you being UK had any relevance is because you brought it into the conversation. If you feel I wasn’t kind enough in pointing out the inconsistency in your comments, I dunno what to tell you. I’m sorry you’re upset enough that you felt like you needed to come back after calling me names and try to restart everything with some more personal attacks to make yourself feel better.

Pointing out that somebody has stated something that’s incorrect is nothing personal, no matter how upset that person might get about it. Sorry that triggered you so much.

posted on May, 19 2018 @ 06:48 AM
link   

originally posted by: DJW001

originally posted by: butcherguy
a reply to: kaylaluv

This is why we should require by law guns be locked up at all times, and we should have random checks to make sure they are - I believe there are other countries that do this. 

Other countries may allow for random checks in your home.
In this country, that would be just a tad unconstitutional.

No it would not. The Second Amendment stipulates " a well organized militia." By acquiring arms you become a member of the militia, and are subject to military discipline. Kayla's response threw everyone off guard. No-one is coming for your guns, we just want people to be more responsible.

Except scotus has ruled that the 2nd is not limited to militia service.

posted on May, 19 2018 @ 06:57 AM
link   

originally posted by: kaylaluv

Of course it's a problem. Doesn't mean we should make it easy for people like him to get guns. I say we make it as hard as possible.

So it would be more acceptable to you if he used a van to drive over his classmates? I realize that's hyperbole, but if you look at your logic here, you seem to be missing the much, much larger issue of the fact that this kid was willing to kill others. THAT is a problem, and what needs to be focused on IMHO.

Do you think that if this kid wasn't able to get his dad's guns, he would have just gave up on his plan?

It's like there is a majority in this discussion that is trying really hard to not discuss the main points.

posted on May, 19 2018 @ 07:05 AM
link   

originally posted by: Shamrock6

originally posted by: butcherguy
a reply to: kaylaluv

This is why we should require by law guns be locked up at all times, and we should have random checks to make sure they are - I believe there are other countries that do this. 

Other countries may allow for random checks in your home.
In this country, that would be just a tad unconstitutional.

No it would not. The Second Amendment stipulates " a well organized militia." By acquiring arms you become a member of the militia, and are subject to military discipline. Kayla's response threw everyone off guard. No-one is coming for your guns, we just want people to be more responsible.

Except scotus has ruled that the 2nd is not limited to militia service.

Not exactly. They ruled that the right extends to private citizens, but:

the Second Amendment should not be understood as conferring a “right to keep and carry any weapon whatsoever in any manner whatsoever and for whatever purpose.”

...and that:

in a unanimous decision, that the “obvious purpose” of the Second Amendment was to “assure the continuation and render possible the effectiveness of” the state militia. I

lawcenter.giffords.org...

In other words, there is no obstacle to treating gun owners as subject to inspection.

posted on May, 19 2018 @ 07:06 AM
link   

But he didn't use a van. He used his father's guns.

posted on May, 19 2018 @ 07:07 AM
link   

So it would be more acceptable to you if he used a van to drive over his classmates? I realize that's hyperbole, but if you look at your logic here, you seem to be missing the much, much larger issue of the fact that this kid was willing to kill others. THAT is a problem, and what needs to be focused on IMHO.

What form of social engineering do you have in mind? That is what you are implying, isn't it?

posted on May, 19 2018 @ 07:07 AM
link   
Double post. --DJW001
edit on 19-5-2018 by DJW001 because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 19 2018 @ 07:10 AM
link   
a reply to: DJW001

don't do drugs.

I am not stating a solution, or even ideas at this point, I think we are still in the "what the # is the problem here" stage. Please place your political hatred in the proper receptacle for the time being. The is about kids who somehow get in their minds that the solution to their problems is to kill other kids. That didn't used to happen. It does now. Why?

posted on May, 19 2018 @ 07:13 AM
link   

originally posted by: kaylaluv

But he didn't use a van. He used his father's guns.

And as I said, if he couldn't have gotten them, would he have gave up? I don't know, but since he went ahead and killed his classmates, it stands to reason that he was resolved in his decision. Why did he feel like this was the right choice? Was it because guns existed? Because his dad had guns? Or were the guns just the thing he used to direct his anger?

posted on May, 19 2018 @ 07:17 AM
link   
a reply to: DJW001

Mmm no that’s actually exactly what they said.

" They also noted that though the right to bear arms also helped preserve the citizen militia, "the activities [the Amendment] protects are not limited to militia service, nor is an individual's enjoyment of the right contingent upon his or her continued or intermittent enrollment in the militia."

DC v. Heller ruling

Your initial comment was that the 2nd stipulates a well regulated militia. It categorically does not. Given that SCOTUS has consistently ruled that states have the right to place certain restrictions on firearms, I made no attempt to claim otherwise. There’s no need to try and pivot to a point I didn’t make.

posted on May, 19 2018 @ 07:30 AM
link   
Sad to see the same tired right and left arguments.

Nobody wants to think about how to solve the problem.

So it won't be solved. It world better to rile up the bases and get the morons voices heard.

posted on May, 19 2018 @ 07:35 AM
link   
So, you put "revolver" and "shot-gun" in all caps in your title like it was a "good thing".

In 2018 we've had 40 school shooting already.

www.abc15.com...

Guns kill people.

posted on May, 19 2018 @ 07:38 AM
link   

That didn't used to happen.

Lizzie Borden took an axe, gave her mother forty whacks.... The main thing that has changed is access to greater firepower.

posted on May, 19 2018 @ 07:39 AM
link   
a reply to: angeldoll

And in 10 to 20 years by banning guns and going door to door to remove them you could probably make some progress on school shootings.

Of coarse you would also tear up the country and start some civil strife but hey that is the price for being right and making everyone else wrong..

posted on May, 19 2018 @ 07:39 AM
link   

We're only 20 weeks into 2018, and there have already been 22 school shootings where someone was hurt or killed. That averages out to more than 1 shooting a week.

www.cnn.com...

It’s never long until the next school shooting in America.

Hundreds of students have been shot in more than 200 school shootings in recent years, and the bloodshed shows no signs of abating. They have become so common that most people likely don’t remember them all — and in some cases, maybe you didn’t hear about them in the first place.

There is a follow-up with a list. Many of them were never televised.
www.nytimes.com...

edit on 5/19/2018 by angeldoll because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 19 2018 @ 07:40 AM
link   

Lizzie Borden took an axe, gave her mother forty whacks.... The main thing that has changed is access to greater firepower.

That is a total lie.

posted on May, 19 2018 @ 07:43 AM
link   

Please show me the same number of school shootings from the 1970's and 1980's. Remember, guns existed back then too.

ETA:
It's a real shame that politics has jaded some of us so deeply that this discussion becomes political. These kids don't give a rats ass how much you hate or love Trump. A good number of them would just like to be able to go to school without being shot. Perhaps you and I will evolve at some point.
edit on 19-5-2018 by network dude because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 19 2018 @ 07:51 AM
link   

Two things. One is depression suicide mental health the Internet bully in your pocket and the lack of normal adolescent hormone use we evolved with. Athletics were a civilized version of getting those type of outlets. That is going away so bad the military can't find new recruits. Particularly the special forces which can't even draw applicants.

The second is a realistic defense of schools. It's very simple and called setting a perimeter. Military bases do it, courts do it, airports do it, many places do this and are able to greatly reduce these events.

You would need two dozen security personal in a school, highly trained marksman under stress, to protect an average school...that seems even worse than creating a protocol to enter the building without guns.

The sticker on the door doesn't seem to be working.

Also a protective order to take away guns from unstable people with due process appeal seem warranted. I don't know why it's so hard to create this...if you are unstable and there is evidence a judge orders it and you get an appeal trial shortly after to make your case why it isn't true?
edit on 19-5-2018 by luthier because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 19 2018 @ 08:01 AM
link   
a reply to: luthier

I agree. alarm the doors, make the main entrance fortified, have a security person with a firearm on premise, and vet all entry. If it's this important at airports, then protecting our children should be at least equally important.

But with all that, we still need to figure out why a kid feels the right course of action is to shoot his peers. As I have said for a while now, this wasn't the case a while back. It's not a single cause, and the solution won't be an easy one, but if we do nothing, or at least the same thing as we have been doing, I have a wild guess as to what the future might be. (more of the same)

new topics

<< 7  8  9    11  12  13 >>

join