It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

German Broadcaster- Ramadan an ‘Old German Custom’ Celebrated Longer than Oktoberfest

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on May, 18 2018 @ 11:29 AM
link   
So some radio show and an article (in German) spreads an idea that the Muslim Ramadan is actually a German custom that pre-dates Oktoberfest !!

Well this news certainly changes history doesn't it !!

How true is this, and how many people believe it ?

Is this German gov propaganda ? 😲

Broadcaster: Ramadan an ‘Old German Custom’ Celebrated Longer than Oktoberfest

German radio broadcaster Deutschlandfunk Kultur has claimed that the Islamic holy month of Ramadan is not only an “old German custom” but that it had been celebrated in the country longer than Oktoberfest.

In an article, journalist Eren Güvercin claims that Ramadan is a thoroughly German holiday and that there is no question that Islam belongs to Germany.

Güvercin maintains that the practice is older the Oktoberfest, also known in Bavaria as Wiesn. While he provides no evidence for his assertion, the earliest Wiesn celebrations are thought to have been held on 12 October 1810 to celebrate the marriage of Prince Ludwig, later King Ludwig I, and Princess Therese of Saxony-Hildburghausen.

The oldest mosque in Germany, by contrast, was built in Berlin in 1915 and was discovered by an archaeological team in 2015. The mosque, which was made of wood, was thought to have been intended for Muslim prisoners of war as it was built inside a World War One-era prison camp.

🤦👋

posted on May, 18 2018 @ 11:36 AM
link   

originally posted by: xuenchen
So some radio show and an article (in German) spreads an idea that the Muslim Ramadan is actually a German custom that pre-dates Oktoberfest !!

Well this news certainly changes history doesn't it !!

How true is this, and how many people believe it ?

Is this German gov propaganda ? 😲

Broadcaster: Ramadan an ‘Old German Custom’ Celebrated Longer than Oktoberfest

German radio broadcaster Deutschlandfunk Kultur has claimed that the Islamic holy month of Ramadan is not only an “old German custom” but that it had been celebrated in the country longer than Oktoberfest.

In an article, journalist Eren Güvercin claims that Ramadan is a thoroughly German holiday and that there is no question that Islam belongs to Germany.

Güvercin maintains that the practice is older the Oktoberfest, also known in Bavaria as Wiesn. While he provides no evidence for his assertion, the earliest Wiesn celebrations are thought to have been held on 12 October 1810 to celebrate the marriage of Prince Ludwig, later King Ludwig I, and Princess Therese of Saxony-Hildburghausen.

The oldest mosque in Germany, by contrast, was built in Berlin in 1915 and was discovered by an archaeological team in 2015. The mosque, which was made of wood, was thought to have been intended for Muslim prisoners of war as it was built inside a World War One-era prison camp.

🤦👋

Haha. Yep and baseball was invented in China, Hot dogs are actually Lithuanian, chess was developed in outer space, and the first car was produced to actually fly. It was called The Pig

posted on May, 18 2018 @ 11:39 AM
link   
a reply to: xuenchen

I have to wonder what the motivations are of the people that spout crap like this?

If they want to convert to Islam get on with it, but don’t shove it down the throats of the rest of us. It’s like they want to destroy western cultures and traditions altogether

posted on May, 18 2018 @ 11:47 AM
link   

So after reading the article. This is a Muslim journalist saying this as a response to the minister of the interior saying Muslims don't belong in Germany.

original piece by the broadcaster

Translated
Fasting for a month from dawn to sunset - Ramadan has begun. For some, once again the question arises as to whether Islam belongs to Germany. Here, Ramadan is spread here longer than the Oktoberfest, says journalist Eren Güvercin.

This morning quite a few people got up before dawn at an unusual time to have breakfast. For as of today, these people will practice a German custom for one month: on the occasion of Ramadan, they will fast from dawn to sunset.

Longer spread than the Oktoberfest

Yes, you have read correctly: Ramadan is an old German custom that has been around here longer than the Oktoberfest. Yes, there are now some contemporaries in Bavaria frown. The Ramadan is German and more home in this our country as much, which now passes as a German culture, since you can almost only shake his head: Halloween for example, or bachelor parties. What would Goethe, Schiller and Rilke say?

German and Muslim is not a contradiction

Politicians, critics of Islam and some permanently frustrated contemporaries are always happy to diagnose that Islam or Muslims or both are not part of Germany. At the same time, they degrade the Christian cross to a cultural symbol in order to exploit it politically.

The fact that we finally have a home minister, however, also gives me hope. It makes me hope that we are really more deeply concerned with the question of what we as Germans understand a positive home. Unless the function of a Ministry of Homeland is to define itself through demarcation.

Homeland is too important a term to politicize and use as a concept of struggle. Home for me personally means, for example, that German and Muslim is not a contradiction, but something completely self-evident. Home is something that should connect, and not split.

Ramadan is a German reality

In this sense, fasting in the month of Ramadan has long been part of the German religious landscape. It is a German reality. To break the fast in the evening, many people gather in Germany to eat together and to meet each other. Muslims like non-Muslims. In my tribal mosque, Ramadan gathers around 1,000 people each day to break the fast: refugees, the needy, travelers, and people from the neighborhood.

Anyone who wants to spend this special time together is invited. Muslims like non-Muslims, fasting and non-fasting. The daily fast break with hot soup and a small menu is organized by volunteer parishioners and funded by donations. In Ramadan, people get to know each other, who would never meet in everyday life and become visible to social groups with whom we have nothing else to do.

Especially in these times, when there are actors on all sides who stir up discord and resentment, this spirit of Ramadan is more important than ever.

The debate about Islam is absurd and unrealistic

Ramadan, with its spirituality and focus on the essential, is an important part of Germany, although many may not be aware of it. It is important for us as Germans to reflect on such worlds of faith, to occupy ourselves with them, to immerse ourselves in them. Because then we would very quickly realize that politicized and hysterical debates on questions such as whether Islam or Muslims are part of Germany are absurd and out of touch with reality.

You should have at least once seen a mosque from the inside, the world of belief in the approach times have met to make judgments about affiliations. Islamic religious practice has long since found its home in Germany. And we German Muslims are looking forward to Ramadan in our Germany. Nobody can deny that to us.

Translation of the actual article written by the journalist. He does say that but the article really doesn't seem all that agressive or over the top...

Every actual Muslim i've ever met has been pretty chill and decent. They don't talk about their religion unless you ask.about it and then they're usually just kinda excited you're taking some kind of interest.
They're just people like anybody else. There's crazies in all religions but like most religions the majority of people are just normal people who live normal lives. My coworker from Iran is probably one of the most hardworking decent people i've ever met. He supports his own family, his parents and his brother's daughter. He's probably the most polite person i've ever met and has probably taught me more than anyone else about our trade....and the very few conversations we've ever even had about religion were mostly about his lack of eating pork.
edit on 18/5/2018 by dug88 because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 18 2018 @ 11:48 AM
link   

Did you know that Islam is the oldest known religion on Earth? I heard it on the German radio!

posted on May, 18 2018 @ 11:48 AM
link   

I don't about the claims of this German journalist but he's not technically wrong that the celebration of Ramadan in Germany predates the celebration of Oktoberfest, considering that Oktoberfest dates to 1810.

Despite the Breitbart writer's mosque red herring, Muslims have been living in Germany since before 1810. There's a Muslim cemetery in Berlin that dates back to 1798.

Ever heard of the Bosniak Corps?

posted on May, 18 2018 @ 12:07 PM
link   
Beer and pork sausages, those Germans know how to submit to Allah and Islam

posted on May, 18 2018 @ 12:27 PM
link   
Even moslims are saying that the author had it wrong.
For example.

So, if you want to punch the dead horse some more about journalists writing erronous texts, you are welcome.

Hint: this text did not make it in any news I know. Not on local news, nothing in de-alt-right news, even in /r/de is nothing. Yet. We do not care about this. Its Ramadan, Pfingsten, Shavuot and we enjoy our holidays.

posted on May, 18 2018 @ 12:40 PM
link   

originally posted by: theantediluvian

I don't about the claims of this German journalist but he's not technically wrong that the celebration of Ramadan in Germany predates the celebration of Oktoberfest, considering that Oktoberfest dates to 1810.

Despite the Breitbart writer's mosque red herring, Muslims have been living in Germany since before 1810. There's a Muslim cemetery in Berlin that dates back to 1798.

Ever heard of the Bosniak Corps?

get out of here with your 'facts'...
political troll bait like the rest, and take the pretense of Ramadan as a cultural German celebration and make the case of Muslims invading Germany... because the internet is the outlet to let adults rationalize like grade school kids.
edit on 18-5-2018 by odzeandennz because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 18 2018 @ 12:46 PM
link   

originally posted by: DBCowboy

Did you know that Islam is the oldest known religion on Earth? I heard it on the German radio!

They can prove it once they take over lands. They say show me the Buddha, show me the church after they make them go kaboom.

posted on May, 18 2018 @ 02:04 PM
link   
Oktoberfest is bavarian, not german!
Meanwhile other cities copy that drug party for the profits of the alcohol lobby, but that is as authentic as japanese, australian or "U"S tourists in Lederhosen on the real Oktoberfest.

Btw, could send you millions of stupid and unnecessary things rightwingers said and nobody heard it. Except some RJW´s, Rightwing Justice Warriors in the "U"SA, which seem to get paid to find such a stuff.

Interested?

posted on May, 18 2018 @ 02:41 PM
link   
Im as liberal as they come, but I reject this move to put down and rewrite European or white history to fit left or currently pc narratives. That's not justice.

Furthermore, I find it offensive as a person partly of German descent.

posted on May, 18 2018 @ 02:42 PM
link   
I dont think the east GermAns will like this

posted on May, 18 2018 @ 02:44 PM
link   
Sure, but it's still a stretch regardless about what elements are more central or we'll known culturally. It's just more unnecessary PC stuff.

a reply to: theantediluvian

posted on May, 18 2018 @ 05:50 PM
link   
I couldn't believe it when I found out Hitler said "The peoples of Islam will always be closer to us than, for example, France".

History repeats itself.

posted on May, 18 2018 @ 06:06 PM
link   
Why do leftists always try to re write history?

posted on May, 18 2018 @ 06:23 PM
link   
a reply to: SKEPTEK

they are not mentally stable

posted on May, 18 2018 @ 06:28 PM
link   

You know, if they start offering beer, bratwurst, pork schnitzel, and have blessed women wearing low cut dirndl dresses serve it to us, I'd happily switch to celebrating Ramadan as part of my 1/4 northern German herritage. Otherwise, talk to the mittelfinger because the ohren aren't about to listen to any noise from this radio show.

posted on May, 18 2018 @ 06:37 PM
link   
Well, Zoroastrianism is older than Islam, Judaism or Christianity so let's all become Zoroastrians.

This is just ludicrous.
It wasn't the armies of Islam that conquered Rome or destroyed 3 legions in the Teutoburg forest.
Germany has seen more than it's fair share of cultural destruction thanks to France, UK and Russia.
Not to mention Rome.

posted on May, 18 2018 @ 07:03 PM
link   

originally posted by: Quetzalcoatl14
Im as liberal as they come, but I reject this move to put down and rewrite European or white history to fit left or currently pc narratives. That's not justice.

Furthermore, I find it offensive as a person partly of German descent.

Muslims arrived in Germany in the 1600s. The first Islamic prayer centres were set up in 1739. Oktoberfest isn't german and started 70 years after.
edit on 18-5-2018 by bastion because: (no reason given)

<<   2 >>

join