It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Former refugee Magid Magid takes up Sheffield Lord Mayor post

page: 1

join
share:

posted on May, 18 2018 @ 07:01 AM
link   

A former refugee who has taken over as Sheffield's Lord Mayor says he hopes to bring the role "into the 21st Century".

Magid Magid, is the city's first Somali mayor, first Green Party mayor, and, at 28, the youngest mayor.

He came to Sheffield aged five after six months in an Ethiopian refugee camp with his mother and five siblings who left Somalia "to find a better life".

"Just me being in the post brings an element of difference to the role," he said.

Former refugee Magid Magid takes up Sheffield Lord Mayor post

Well I thought this was a great story to pass on. I think of a Lord mayor as an older type with a clipped accent suited and booted.
Well suited and booted Majid sure is. Great to see someone from such a background doing so well..

Born in Burao in war-torn northern Somalia, Mr Magid said he did not remember much of his childhood and had never returned to his country of birth. "I remember just being happy, playing around as you do as a kid, but in reality it was a completely different story," he said. His family set up home in Sheffield's Burngreave area. He said life was difficult when he and his family arrived, trying to learn the language and adapt to a new way of life. His mother worked as a cleaner to look after her children, with Magid and his siblings acting as translators.

posted on May, 18 2018 @ 07:27 AM
link   
Yep, this is progress. Too often minorities gravitate together and try to replicate where they came from, and are disinterested in integration.

I note he's a Green. The Greens are a bit pointless IMHO, but perhaps he will be motivated to stop the travesty implemented by Sheffield Council to fell so many of the city's trees.

Guardian article

Protests continue to grow over controversial PFI contract that has resulted in thousands of trees being cut down

posted on May, 18 2018 @ 08:03 AM
link   
a reply to: skywatcher44

Good on Sheffield. I'd much prefer younger people in politics than some old stuffy guy in a suit. Great photo too! I hope he does much good work and saves the trees as well.

Go Majid!

posted on May, 19 2018 @ 06:23 PM
link   

Extreme white guilt. lol

posted on May, 20 2018 @ 03:08 AM
link   

originally posted by: Logarock

Extreme white guilt. lol

No a nation where colour of ones skin does not matter and has the same opportunity are anyone else.

posted on May, 20 2018 @ 07:44 AM
link   
Who cares

I file this in the "white people are bad" category

Sorry but Britain doesnt have to let a bunch of Africans take over their country if they don't want to and no that's not racist

posted on May, 20 2018 @ 07:45 AM
link   
a reply to: DrumsAreDumb

If color of skin doesnt matter then why is this even important at all?

Hypocrite

posted on May, 20 2018 @ 10:23 AM
link   

originally posted by: toysforadults
a reply to: DrumsAreDumb

If color of skin doesnt matter then why is this even important at all?

Hypocrite

Well your welcome to continue shooting your blacks in the street.....

posted on May, 20 2018 @ 10:44 AM
link   
Well, I can discern spirits......

He's goin to the top.....we need 12 more like him....but they're hard to find

posted on May, 20 2018 @ 11:49 AM
link   

originally posted by: toysforadults
Who cares

I file this in the "white people are bad" category

Sorry but Britain doesnt have to let a bunch of Africans take over their country if they don't want to and no that's not racist

It's pretty damn racist.

He's not 'a bunch of Africans', he was granted asylum in the UK at six months old, he's spent his entire life here and has UK citizenship. He's worked hard, integrated well and rightly risen to a good position. There's no reason to deny him that based on skin color and ignorance to what a Mayor is.

It marks a turning point as traditionally there's always been a glass ceiling, not just in race but class and age - this represents a far fairer and democratic Mayoral system instead of the outdated, antiquated role where the Mayor is so far removed from UK towns and cities hardly anyone knows their name, let alone seen or spoken to them.

new topics

top topics

join