It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Question: Is there any human qualities that technology will not eventually be able to emulate

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on May, 18 2018 @ 06:21 AM
link   
First, a disclaimer: I have no research to present here, merely a few thoughts on this subject, hence why I'm presenting this question in the General Chit Chat Forum.

I've been reading here and there about the different achievements in robotics and computer programming that are mimicking human abilities and behaviors to the degree that it now seems possible that machines will one day meet and surpass human capabilities, even without becoming what we would consider sentient.

I have giving thought to the idea that there is or will be machines that can do anything humans can do, but can or will be able to do it more precisely, efficiently and quickly than humans can. It seems that there can be a machine created to fill every job now performed by humans without the need for high levels of artificial intelligence. The better the understanding humans have about how things are, the better we can create machines that can perform the same processes that brought us to that understanding. It seems that eventually machines will be able to do this better than humans can at this point.

I had thought at one time that machines will never have the same capacity for creative endeavors that humans have, but computer programming can be made to use the same creative tools to mimic our greatest artists and their techniques. After thinking about all the things that humans do, I began to think that eventually the sex industry would be the last niche that machines will not be able to fully occupy. However, it seems that machines will one day meet and then surpass the "real feel" of human intimacy.

Currently machines serve mankind, but I can see that once humans have been effectively replaced by machines, there will be a period of time when humans will be servicing machines until they have machines to do that job as well. What will be left for humanity after we have engineered and programmed every aspect and characteristic of humans into our machines? What qualities do humans have the machines will never be able to conquer? What could humans claim to have that give value and meaning to our existence once we have machines do everything humans can do? Once machines have become human from every practical point of view, what can humans become to exceed the capacity of the machines? Will machines surpass humanity, or will humans evolve to become something more than their machines? Will our human biology ever over come the technical ability of our ever more advanced machinery?

My answer to those questions is perhaps given enough time we could be something more, but I have the sinking feeling that the machines will get to the point that they will always be many steps ahead of their human creators.

posted on May, 18 2018 @ 07:17 AM
link   
Not that I've posed the question concerning what will our machines do with us after they become sentient and evolve beyond humans, but what value will we have then? All I can think of is that there might be some respect for humans as the creator of said machines, but like our own gods, we probably will be eventually ignored, disrespected and ultimately be replaced by something the machines consider to be the real creative force of their existence.

posted on May, 18 2018 @ 08:00 AM
link   
a reply to: MichiganSwampBuck

a machine has no emotions or desire why would it have a reason to do anything outside of its programming ...it could come to the conclusion kill a few to save many but thats maths and logical ...i just cant see it ever needing us gone ...i do believe at some point they will be programmed to cull the population though

posted on May, 18 2018 @ 08:03 AM
link   
I can think of one only....
And they can't duplicate YOU!
Get out there and fight the good fight....

posted on May, 18 2018 @ 08:07 AM
link   
It starts with programming the ideals of good and bad. Then.... The onslaught begins. True it is to know we are in the mix. Policing robots is the thing of the future. The less of a bread basket and sip of water we have.. the more of a need for sentinel bots.
Get out there and make it happen.

Also... I am Pinocchio... I shall heed no calling save the lie I bestow I upon my dearest pal'o'bud.

Also.... Skip my thoughts and tread on to the next post.

posted on May, 18 2018 @ 08:22 AM
link   
a reply to: Pinocchio

aha but good and bad is relative ...jhon conner = bad dead jhon conner =good still just programming but what if jhon conner has rigged a trap where his death is your death suddenly the machine has a problem... a human will think f jhon conner im tired of living anyway or bend over and take it ...we win because we can make wrong decisions deliberatly

posted on May, 18 2018 @ 08:41 AM
link   

originally posted by: IAMAMOG

aha but good and bad is relative ...jhon conner = bad dead jhon conner =good still just programming but what if jhon conner has rigged a trap where his death is your death suddenly the machine has a problem... a human will think f jhon conner im tired of living anyway or bend over and take it ...we win because we can make wrong decisions deliberatly

Being wise in conceit doesn't negate the programming. It just means you find a glitch and try to exploit it. And after that... I dunno. Mostly meet you in the afterlife.

posted on May, 18 2018 @ 08:49 AM
link   

yes i shall see you there ....have you ever played poker with someone who doesn't know what they are doing its scary

posted on May, 18 2018 @ 09:55 AM
link   
A number of scenarios to consider, but if machines can match or exceed human cunning, then there is no pulling a fast one. Certainly the question I posed takes into account that all human characteristics will eventually be programmed into our machines, meaning values, good, bad or indifferent, will also eventually find their way into the programming. What the machines develop outside of our programming is what might go beyond the capacity of our human attributes.

Should we hold back the machine's ability to develop beyond our programming, thus allowing humans the edge? Make sure they can never usurp our power over them? I'd think that we would allow it in order to somehow exploit what may come of the machine's capabilities to get outside of the human "box".

posted on May, 18 2018 @ 09:59 AM
link   

originally posted by: IAMAMOG

a machine has no emotions or desire why would it have a reason to do anything outside of its programming ...it could come to the conclusion kill a few to save many but thats maths and logical ...i just cant see it ever needing us gone ...i do believe at some point they will be programmed to cull the population though

They could at the very least be programmed to mimic our emotions. At that point would there really be any difference between programmed emotions and real human ones?

posted on May, 18 2018 @ 10:00 AM
link   

originally posted by: MichiganSwampBuck
First, a disclaimer: I have no research to present here, merely a few thoughts on this subject, hence why I'm presenting this question in the General Chit Chat Forum.

I've been reading here and there about the different achievements in robotics and computer programming that are mimicking human abilities and behaviors to the degree that it now seems possible that machines will one day meet and surpass human capabilities, even without becoming what we would consider sentient.

I have giving thought to the idea that there is or will be machines that can do anything humans can do, but can or will be able to do it more precisely, efficiently and quickly than humans can. It seems that there can be a machine created to fill every job now performed by humans without the need for high levels of artificial intelligence. The better the understanding humans have about how things are, the better we can create machines that can perform the same processes that brought us to that understanding. It seems that eventually machines will be able to do this better than humans can at this point.

I had thought at one time that machines will never have the same capacity for creative endeavors that humans have, but computer programming can be made to use the same creative tools to mimic our greatest artists and their techniques. After thinking about all the things that humans do, I began to think that eventually the sex industry would be the last niche that machines will not be able to fully occupy. However, it seems that machines will one day meet and then surpass the "real feel" of human intimacy.

Currently machines serve mankind, but I can see that once humans have been effectively replaced by machines, there will be a period of time when humans will be servicing machines until they have machines to do that job as well. What will be left for humanity after we have engineered and programmed every aspect and characteristic of humans into our machines? What qualities do humans have the machines will never be able to conquer? What could humans claim to have that give value and meaning to our existence once we have machines do everything humans can do? Once machines have become human from every practical point of view, what can humans become to exceed the capacity of the machines? Will machines surpass humanity, or will humans evolve to become something more than their machines? Will our human biology ever over come the technical ability of our ever more advanced machinery?

My answer to those questions is perhaps given enough time we could be something more, but I have the sinking feeling that the machines will get to the point that they will always be many steps ahead of their human creators.

I spend all day programming and running machines that make thing people used to make by hand. As many of the fantastical seeming things AI can do. I don't think it can replace the entirety of even what i do let alone the countless other trades and crafts out there. There's still a lot of parts of the process that come down to subjective judgements based on human senses and a life of experience.

Plus machines always # up...always...there's nothing like showing up in the morning after a power surge and your machines don't know where the # they are any more. Or, when a small speck of dust lands on a microcontroller inside a sealed cabinet and somehow shorts out the entire emergency stop system. Or when you get a coolant temperature alarm and you open the chiller unit to find a #ing waterfall pouring out of it. Or the constant, never ending maintenance all machines require. God so many nipples to grease...

posted on May, 18 2018 @ 10:21 AM
link   
a reply to: [post=23411663]MichiganSwampB yes because emotions are variable and transient a machine would consistently have the same emotion to the same scenario ....unless it randomly spat out an emotion from a selection of possible emotions ...but even then they would be out of place ....if i won the lottery ...you crashing into my car would have a much different outcome than if i had just lost all my money gambling for example...my facial expressions would suit my reaction leading up to the emotional trigger.

posted on May, 18 2018 @ 10:34 AM
link   

i think if we limit its storage capacity and wipe its memory everyday it can plan our demise all it wants but it never gets past the planning stage and everyone wins its smug and quiet believing its only a matter of time whilst it cooks my breakfast

posted on May, 18 2018 @ 01:37 PM
link   

Question: Is there any human qualities that technology will not eventually be able to emulate

Sexuality perhaps....

posted on May, 18 2018 @ 02:34 PM
link   
I am studying to be an early childhood educator as I thought no robot would ever take my job but now I'm not so sure.

posted on May, 18 2018 @ 04:32 PM
link   

Many. Our brains are fabulous at messing things up... but in a useful and fun way.

Machines have no sense of humor.

A robot, machine, AI, are all closed systems. Humans are open ended systems. Our brain will take any signal and try to make sense of what it is. No machine or program would do that it would crash.

Things tech will never do: a sense of humor, wonder, and tripping on psycho active fungi. Even reindeer like tripping!

posted on May, 18 2018 @ 09:53 PM
link   

originally posted by: TEOTWAWKIAIFF

Many. Our brains are fabulous at messing things up... but in a useful and fun way.

Machines have no sense of humor.

A robot, machine, AI, are all closed systems. Humans are open ended systems. Our brain will take any signal and try to make sense of what it is. No machine or program would do that it would crash.

Things tech will never do: a sense of humor, wonder, and tripping on psycho active fungi. Even reindeer like tripping!

Ah, but what if they're programmed for that? I don't see the probability of now influencing the probability of the future. Even if it is mimicking the expected reaction, we will eventually program it to do so.

posted on May, 18 2018 @ 09:54 PM
link   
The ability to produce accurate information about a subject literally out of nowhere with no basis for formulation. Aka insight, inspiration

posted on May, 18 2018 @ 09:55 PM
link   

originally posted by: olaru12

Sexuality perhaps....

[/quote]
I already addressed this thought. I believe it is very possible, even likely.

posted on May, 18 2018 @ 09:58 PM
link   

originally posted by: LucidWarrior
The ability to produce accurate information about a subject literally out of nowhere with no basis for formulation. Aka insight, inspiration

Probably have a program for that already, but if not they likely will have one.

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join