It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

BUSINESS: Vioxx Back Despite Dangers

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Feb, 18 2005 @ 04:32 PM
link   
On the heels of Anti-Class Action legislation signed today, an FDA panel voted "to allow sales of the popular painkillers Vioxx, Celebrex and Bextra, despite acknowledging the risks they pose for heart problems." The FDA panel appointed by the Bush administration claims that the benefits outweigh the risks..

www.msnbc.msn.com
A Food and Drug Administration panel voted Friday to allow sales of the painkillers despite the risks they pose.

In a much anticipated decision, a Food and Drug Administration panel voted Friday to allow sales of the popular painkillers Vioxx, Celebrex and Bextra, despite acknowledging the risks they pose for heart problems.

“The data is very compelling” that Vioxx is substantially worse than the others, meeting chairman Alistair J.J. Wood of Vanderbilt University School of Medicine said.

The FDA is not required to follow the recommendations of the panel, but generally does so.

Dr. Steven Abramson, chairman of the division of rheumatology at the New York University School of Medicine, said it’s possible the problems stem from the ability of these drugs to hamper the Cox-2 enzyme.

Merck says Vioxx could return to market if health officials conclude other drugs have similar risks

Please visit the link provided for the complete story.

Vioxx, Celebrex and Bextra are dangerous because they shut down the body's immune response to misfolded proteins. The new Anti-Class Action legislation signed today will protect corporate profits from any deaths or disabilities that result. Corporations rule in Bush America.

U.S. Still Silencing Scientists

Bush Pushes to Limit Class-Action Suits

FDA to Create Drug Safety Oversight Board

Merck and Vioxx: A Twisted Tale of Cover-ups, Pork and Profits

posted on Feb, 18 2005 @ 04:35 PM
link   
I guess the drugs coming back is link to the new protection to the big corporations.

I guess what people needs to do is boycott them so they get out of business.

The drug will make you better if it does not kill you first.
and occurs you can not sue.

posted on Feb, 18 2005 @ 04:38 PM
link   
I think now the damage has been already done. I dont know many people who would trust these medicines again.

posted on Feb, 18 2005 @ 04:48 PM
link   

Originally posted by dgtempe
I think now the damage has been already done. I dont know many people who would trust these medicines again.

People think their governments and doctors protect them. They also think people who speak out about dangers are just "complaining" troublemakers.

The wool has been pulled, and now, there is no recourse. Except maybe impeachment.

posted on Feb, 18 2005 @ 04:50 PM
link   

Wood said it is important to find some way to help the public better understand the nature of risk.

“People worry about crime and then drive drunk,” he said, indicating they don’t really understand relative risks.

Dr. Steven Nissen, medical director of the heart center at the Cleveland Clinic said, “What we really want is to make sure it’s available for patients that need it and is unavailable to patients for whom it’s inappropriate.”

www.msnbc.msn.com...

This part of the article sums up what I think is the heart of the issue. These drugs have dangers, as do all drugs, but there are those individuals for whom the benefits outweigh the risks. There are those for whom chronic pain is so severe and debilitating that life is not worth living. For those who live with such pain, the risks just might be worth the benefit of having a life they can enjoy rather than a life of misery.

Marg has a good idea. If you don't like drug companies, boycott their products--all their product--and see how your life stacks up. I'm not quite sure how drug companies became such villains, but I think many of us, myself included, owe not only our lives, but the quality of our lives, to the drug companies and it is just a little asinine to portray them in the light that many prefer to do.

[edit on 05/2/18 by GradyPhilpott]

posted on Feb, 18 2005 @ 04:56 PM
link   
Soficrow: Maybe so. It is astounding the number of people who will beleive anything.

Here is an interesting story about Ritalin;

www.rense.com...

I wish the public would educate themselves.

posted on Feb, 18 2005 @ 04:57 PM
link   

Originally posted by GradyPhilpott

I'm not quite sure how drug companies became such villains, but I think many of us, myself included owe our lives to the drug companies and it is just a little asinine to portray them in the light that many prefer to do.

In this case, the drugs (COX-2 inhibitors) shut down the body's immune response - and make the underlying disease worse. ...all they do is kill the pain while it's happening.

Most drugs on the market are painkillers - and they mask rampant infectious epidemics - while ensuring that the market remains "stable."

Arguably, most of the diseases could be cured or prevented - but that's not the goal. Business runs the show, and the goal of business is NOT to help people.

Business' objective is to profit from "opportunities."

posted on Feb, 18 2005 @ 05:37 PM
link   

Prescriptions for these medications have already dropped more than 50% in the last five months.

There are some doctors who feel that the cox-2 inhibitors are not safe. Dr. Steven Rich, Chief of Internal Medicine at Lifetime Health did research three years ago, found the drugs were “not safe” and wrote a letter in the medical journal. At that time Dr. Rich recommended that all patients be taken off Vioxx and other drugs like it.

Regarding today's events, Rich said regardless of the FDA action, he thinks the class of medication is unsafe and unjustifiable for use by most patients.

FDA Ruling

Merck (MRK) surged 13 percent to $32.61 after the drugmaker's Vioxx received a Food and Drug Administration panel's backing at a hearing Thursday. The panel said that while Vioxx posed increased cardiovascular risks, it was safe to put on the market.

Merck said it would consider putting Vioxx back on the market if the FDA determines that similar drugs can also cause heart problems in certain patients. Merck withdrew Vioxx from the market in late September when it was linked to a higher incidence of heart attack and stroke.

www.investors.com...

[edit on 18-2-2005 by soficrow]

new topics

top topics

join