It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

This new Childish Gambino Song Promotes Divisive Lies

page: 2
<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join
share:

posted on May, 17 2018 @ 08:53 AM
link   

originally posted by: Thejoncrichton
a reply to: MisterSpock

I'm almost 40, so trust when I say I knew nothing about this guy until a few days ago. What bothered me after watching it is how it's being promoted in the media as some kind of cultural landmark. That's disturbing when what's being portrayed is not the reality.

Not YOUR reality. Just because you can't put yourself in their shoes...

posted on May, 17 2018 @ 08:55 AM
link   

originally posted by: Krazysh0t

I didn't ask what you thought about black on black crime. I asked a specific question on if you think these other issues are a problem too.

You missed my point that they are all connected. If you don't face the reality, you're only going to exacerbate and prolong the other problems.

I'd say you are the one trying to be divisive here, but regardless you still aren't answering my questions.

What's divisive about the objective truth?

Why is it so hard to answer my questions? Do you consider the issues David Glover pointed out in his song to be issues or do you think that black on black crime makes them not issues? The fact you are dodging the question makes me assume certain things about you.

I didn't dodge it at all. Your conditioning wont allow you to see what I'm saying. All the other issues are connected to this issue.

Why are you so dismissive of the fact black men are at war with each other? Do you care about all the death? A lot of innocents get shot and killed in those crossfires too you know? But screw it, you have virtue to signal!

posted on May, 17 2018 @ 08:56 AM
link   

originally posted by: Milkweed

Not YOUR reality. Just because you can't put yourself in their shoes...

My reality is the one backed up by facts.

link   

I didn't ask what you thought about black on black crime. I asked a specific question on if you think these other issues are a problem too.

You missed my point that they are all connected. If you don't face the reality, you're only going to exacerbate and prolong the other problems.

I'd say you are the one trying to be divisive here, but regardless you still aren't answering my questions.

What's divisive about the objective truth?

Why is it so hard to answer my questions? Do you consider the issues David Glover pointed out in his song to be issues or do you think that black on black crime makes them not issues? The fact you are dodging the question makes me assume certain things about you.

I didn't dodge it at all. Your conditioning wont allow you to see what I'm saying. All the other issues are connected to this issue.

Why are you so dismissive of the fact black men are at war with each other? Do you care about all the death? A lot of innocents get shot and killed in those crossfires too you know? But screw it, you have virtue to signal!

You do realize you can be racist without shooting a black guy right?

link   
a reply to: Thejoncrichton

Try turning off the sound and just watching: Gambino guns down a man in the first 30 seconds: black on black. A minute later he guns down an entire choir of black students with a rifle. Black on black.

Whatever site you are getting your ideas from is ripping you off. There are dozens of ideas in play here and many are inherently contradictory. See also: singing (and dancing) for your supper while trying to avoid a violent overculture you didn't create but help perpetuate through art.

But yes, the pale horse leading a cop car is a shocking image (and rightfully so), as is the choir being gunned down (and rightfully so).

posted on May, 17 2018 @ 09:00 AM
link   

originally posted by: 0zzymand0s

But yes, the pale horse leading a cop car is a shocking image (and rightfully so), as is the choir being gunned down (and rightfully so).

Again, the facts show that black men are not only killing each other at ridiculously high rates, but killing others (mostly whites) at ridiculously high rates. So why does the isolated incident get propped up while the reality is buried? There are mass shootings in Chicago every day that we never even hear about.

posted on May, 17 2018 @ 09:01 AM
link   
You've clearly missed a large part of the video if you think this is just a BLM-inspired video. For example, there's his commentary on how more reverence is placed on guns than the victims of gun violence. There's also a strong message condemning the way media is used in this country, especially in the wake of tragedy.

The song is called This Is America for a reason. While it may be influenced by his experience as a black male in this country, many messages from it are applicable to the country as a whole.

posted on May, 17 2018 @ 09:02 AM
link   

I didn't miss any point. I asked a question, which you continue to not answer.

I'm not dismissive of anything. I have neither denied nor confirmed your figures in the OP. I just asked a question.

posted on May, 17 2018 @ 09:04 AM
link   

originally posted by: Xcalibur254
You've clearly missed a large part of the video if you think this is just a BLM-inspired video. For example, there's his commentary on how more reverence is placed on guns than the victims of gun violence.

Which is another lie. The reverence is for the human right to self defense. But yet again we're all hamfisted with left wing extremist point of view.

The song is called This Is America for a reason. While it may be influenced by his experience as a black male in this country, many messages from it are applicable to the country as a whole.

It should be, "This is the left wing extremist view of America". His experience as a black man in this country? He's rich and famous.

posted on May, 17 2018 @ 09:04 AM
link   
The FBI reports that in 2016 50% of racially motivated hate crimes where against black people.

Only 20% where against white people.

Facts.

posted on May, 17 2018 @ 09:05 AM
link   

I didn't miss any point. I asked a question, which you continue to not answer.

Ok, I've answered you several times now and won';t be responding to you again. I'm not in to these childish games. Go back, and re-read the post. Slowly maybe?

I'm not dismissive of anything. I have neither denied nor confirmed your figures in the OP. I just asked a question.

It's confirmed man. These are solid facts backed up by the DOJ, the FBI and victims surveys.

posted on May, 17 2018 @ 09:06 AM
link   

The FBI reports that in 2016 50% of racially motivated hate crimes where against black people.

Facts.

Adjust for per capita. Whites are 65% of the country. Black people are 13%. It makes a difference.

edit on 17-5-2018 by Thejoncrichton because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 17 2018 @ 09:09 AM
link   

He grew up poor in Atlanta and busted his ass to get where he is.

posted on May, 17 2018 @ 09:09 AM
link   

Facts.

Adjust for per capita. Whites are 65% of the country. Black people are 13%. It makes a difference.

Yes please adjust for per capita! Less black people but they are still the main target for hate crimes.
Less black people and still half of racially motivated hate crimes are against them.

posted on May, 17 2018 @ 09:11 AM
link   

Ok, I've answered you several times now and won';t be responding to you again. I'm not in to these childish games. Go back, and re-read the post. Slowly maybe?

Ok. I'm just going to go ahead and assume you are racist trying to distract from other issues with a whataboutism then. I tried to give you the benefit of the doubt and ask some questions in a neutral tone, but it is clear now that you seem to think that black-on-black crime is the only issue the black community should ever worry about. Which is a calling card of a racist. Sound good?

This is also backed up with the fact that the "This is America" song isn't primarily talking about Black Lives Matter issues and even addresses black on black crime. You clearly haven't even listened to the song or read the lyrics.
edit on 17-5-2018 by Krazysh0t because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 17 2018 @ 09:12 AM
link   

originally posted by: Xcalibur254

He grew up poor in Atlanta and busted his ass to get where he is.

Exactly my point. That's what everyone does who is successful. Being black didn't matter, did it?

posted on May, 17 2018 @ 09:17 AM
link   
a reply to: Xcalibur254

I just looked, out of curiosity. He grew up in a small suburb outside of atlanta, with a population of about 5,000 people(smaller than my rural midwest town). The median household income in 2010 was 38,000 dollars. His mother was a daycare provider, his father worked for the government as a postal worker. In Stone Mountain, less than 10% of the population lived below the poverty line. Compared to atlanta with about 20+ percent under the poverty line.

Just found that interesting. Don't really care either way, but one things for sure. Usually the "Story" of how a famous person grew up is exaggerated to help sell the persona.

posted on May, 17 2018 @ 09:18 AM
link   
This thread has turned from analyzing a video to why you think racism against black people doesn't exists. These misleading arguments have been heard over and over again. Congratulations, you can repeat what you hear like a parrot.

posted on May, 17 2018 @ 09:20 AM
link   

This thread has turned from analyzing a video to why you think racism against black people doesn't exists. These misleading arguments have been heard over and over again. Congratulations, you can repeat what you hear like a parrot.

Let's be real here. The thread has always been about that. The black-on-black crime argument is a dogwhistle to claim that black racism isn't an issue since blacks kill so many other blacks. The OP being unable to answer my question about other issues affecting the black community shows that as well. Hell, if the thread were REALLY about analyzing the video, he wouldn't have singled in on the BLM movement anyways since the video isn't primarily about police brutality against blacks.
edit on 17-5-2018 by Krazysh0t because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 17 2018 @ 09:21 AM
link   

Chicago is not a vacuum.

www.washingtonpost.com...

60 percent of the guns recovered in Chicago come from outside of the state of Illinois.

So there is ONE factor. 100+ years of systemic corruption (and racism) among the leaders of Chicago have created a dearth of opportunity for minorities, segregated neighborhoods and housing and food deserts (where there is little or no economic incentive to provide healthy, nutritious food (for purchase) in or near "black" neighborhoods are other factors.

You insisted that "black on black" crime is not among the shocking scenes in Gambino's video. I pointed out two in the first minute and a half. You pivoted (again) to Chicago, which is a huge problem but doesn't adequately represent or cover the entirety of the issue. It feels like you ignored my rebuttal to draw attention to your favorite issue. Is that accurate? Why is Chicago such a hot button for you? What is it you are trying to say by continuously referencing the very real issue of black on black crime among gang affiliated Chicagoans while ignoring the other issues presented by the video? You seem bright, so I assume you can hold two or more ideas in your head simultaneously.

Where did you get the idea that Glover/Gambino was making a racial point about white-on-black violence in his video while absolving the black community for their own contributions to the violent overculture? How did you come to this conclusion in spite of the overall imagery of the video, which -- more than anything else -- points a finger at the entertainment-and-media-industrial-complex itself as a panacea for pain, suffering, and death within the black community?

Gambino is simply pointing out that violence is a product and we are all sellers/buyers. What is it about that message that bothers you so much?

new topics

top topics

<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join