It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

After New Yorker's racist rant goes viral, his law firm gets pummeled with 1-star Yelp reviews

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on May, 16 2018 @ 10:04 PM
link   

Aaron Schlossberg, a New York-based lawyer, became internet famous on Wednesday for the worst of reasons: a racist rant that went viral. Schlossberg was captured on a smartphone video yelling at employees in the restaurant Fresh Kitchen in midtown Manhattan. His complaint was that the workers were speaking Spanish to customers. "And my guess is they're not documented," Schlossberg said to an employee, who appeared to be a manager. "So my next call is to ICE to have each one of them kicked out of my country."

CNBC

The internet has acted swiftly, his google and yelp reviews have plummeted from 5 stars down to 1 overnight, this man's career is likely finished, he will likely be disbarred.

But is it fair? Should his work life suffer because of his meltdown?

I personally think he deserves it.

posted on May, 16 2018 @ 10:07 PM
link   

originally posted by: AScrubWhoDied

Aaron Schlossberg, a New York-based lawyer, became internet famous on Wednesday for the worst of reasons: a racist rant that went viral. Schlossberg was captured on a smartphone video yelling at employees in the restaurant Fresh Kitchen in midtown Manhattan. His complaint was that the workers were speaking Spanish to customers. "And my guess is they're not documented," Schlossberg said to an employee, who appeared to be a manager. "So my next call is to ICE to have each one of them kicked out of my country."

CNBC

The internet has acted swiftly, his google and yelp reviews have plummeted from 5 stars down to 1 overnight, this man's career is likely finished, he will likely be disbarred.

But is it fair? Should his work life suffer because of his meltdown?

Similar to my thoughts on those that get shot robbing a house....if you don't do stupid things you won't win stupid prizes.

Totally deserves to be smashed online.

posted on May, 16 2018 @ 10:16 PM
link   
Guy looks like he got a bad batch of coke or something...

A long time ago (15 years maybe) I was a neighborhood restaurant. The restaurant owner was going off on the kitchen/wait staff for speaking Spanish in much the same manner.

posted on May, 16 2018 @ 10:18 PM
link   
a reply to: AScrubWhoDied

For a supposed lawyer, he is not very smart to do something like that.
That being said, how could he be disbarred for that?
While his rant was slightly racist in that he took exception to them speaking Spanish, he didn’t use any racially derogatory terms.
Sometimes even fools get fed up, I guess.

posted on May, 16 2018 @ 10:18 PM
link   

What he did was idiotic, especially since he lives in literal melting pot of many different cultures with many different languages being spoken everywhere in a city that never sleeps. Does he also yell at people who speak any other language besides Spanish? Probably not. He gets what he deserves, especially in this day and age with camera phones connected to the internet. People should really take a step back and realize their public freakout can and will be broadcasted to the world.

The real irony here is that his firm offers consultations in Spanish, French, and Chinese (I think).

I lived in Europe for about five years and I was very thankful that just about everyone I met spoke English because I sure didn’t speak their language. No one ever freaked out over it.

edit on 16-5-2018 by Swills because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 16 2018 @ 10:20 PM
link   
a reply to: RazorV66

Disbarred for that? I seriously doubt it. His punishment is that the internet never forgets and that’s the lesson we all should take away from this.

posted on May, 16 2018 @ 10:23 PM
link   
a reply to: RazorV66

You can be disbarred for unethical behavior. He's already been reported so I'm guessing there will be an investigation that follows.

a reply to: Edumakated

I'm thinking drugs too, you don't expect someone to throw years of hard work building a career away by doing something stupid like this.

+11 more 
posted on May, 16 2018 @ 10:26 PM
link   

originally posted by: AScrubWhoDied

Why?
I've personally been in situations where I tried to speak to employees to get assistance and they couldn't understand a word I said, much less help me with what I needed. I'm an American citizen and I have no obligation to learn Spanish just so I can communicate with employees. Would you say I deserve to have my life ruined for thinking that when people are employed by a business to interact with customers, they should be able to actually understand and communicate with those customers? You wouldn't move to China and then expect to get hired in a business in China without knowing a single word of Chinese, and yet any time an American says non-English speaking migrants working in the US should be able to speak English, they're treated like they're some kind of monster. It's fine if someone doesn't speak English, but it's not fine if they don't speak English when their job requires that they be able to communicate in English.

posted on May, 16 2018 @ 10:34 PM
link   
Well having been in a similar situation I feel his pain. I went to a restaurant in Miami once where no one spoke English. However it was a Cuban restaurant and I went there specifically for the food. My frustration was my Spanish isn't very good and had a hard time explaining what I wanted.

And I remember at the time thinking should be at least one person who speaks English where in the United States after all. Was it racist I dont thibk so since I dont hate Cubans but it was very frustrating. As for this guy he expected to be talked to in English since he saw it as a business in Manhattan. I dont know is this restaurant for Spanish and English speaking people avoid it? There is a Mexican restaurant here that caters to Hispanics and that's ok people who speak English avoid it. Luckily for me the wife speaks Spanish so we can go and get what I want

posted on May, 16 2018 @ 10:36 PM
link   

Why is he so surprised?

Any kitchen you go to, Italian, Chinese, Korean etc...they be playing some ranchero music back there.

posted on May, 16 2018 @ 10:38 PM
link   
a reply to: trollz

You should know English isn’t America’s official language. English is just our most common spoken language and Spanish is the second most common spoken language out of literal hundreds of languages spoken across this great nation.

That said, you don’t know if the employees don’t speak English. Chances they do and were just speaking Spanish because reasons.

posted on May, 16 2018 @ 10:39 PM
link   

A few years ago I started to visit a Jack in the Box that was near my place of work during lunch. I live in Texas - there a lot of people that speak spanish here.

So I would go pull up and clench my teeth and silently rage while trying to tell the lady, and it was always a lady, what I wanted. She could barely speak english - and yes, it was incredibly frustrating!

You know what I did? I just stopped going. Period. They didn't get anymore of my money.

I didn't make a scene, I didn't make any assumptions about their legal status, I just stopped giving them my money.

Other sources say the employees were speaking spanish among themselves and not even to the customers.

posted on May, 16 2018 @ 11:02 PM
link   

Punishing people who say things is the new norm.

posted on May, 16 2018 @ 11:05 PM
link   

I don’t think he’ll be disbarred. A lawyer can be racist and keep his law license.

What he was saying made little sense anyway. If someone is speaking Spanish to someone else presumably they both speak Spanish.

posted on May, 16 2018 @ 11:08 PM
link   

originally posted by: Swills
You should know English isn’t America’s official language.

I do know that. I never said there was an official language.

originally posted by: Swills
English is just our most common spoken language

Yes, and that's the point. The overwhelming majority of people in the US speak English, whereas those speaking Spanish are a minority.

posted on May, 16 2018 @ 11:17 PM
link   
The average gas station attendant in the US today can understand 30 dollars regular but don’t ask for directions. They never give them any more. It’s not just Spanish either.

posted on May, 16 2018 @ 11:17 PM
link   
Spoken language is a "race" now eh.

Next we'll be calling martial arts as religions.

posted on May, 16 2018 @ 11:20 PM
link   

You sure do come off as assuming English should be the only language spoken in the US.

Spanish is the second most common spoken language in the US, hardly a minority.

posted on May, 16 2018 @ 11:22 PM
link   
a reply to: Willtell

Free GPS app via your phone, why bother asking for directions? You could go old school and print out directions or even older school and buy a map.

Or just ask the next person for directions but even if they speak English, trusting their sense of direction is always a gamble.
edit on 16-5-2018 by Swills because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 16 2018 @ 11:24 PM
link   
Yeah, he's a dbag, but this thread just stepped into Black Mirror and China social-rating with professional consequences waters.

AKA lose your job if you use the right to free speech.

It should be a law that english is spoken in any business that does financial transactions at all in an english speaking country. Too much can go wrong if a buyer can't understand what is going on.

For all he knows, they were conspiring to poison his food.

Calling her fat was a-hole talk, but "maybe you should go get hit by a bus" was very quick-witted and impressive. I like her style.lol

We don't need professional consequences for arguing now, that's a nightmare situation, even if it's "corporations" destroying the 1st.

This hits home the power that these corporations have now. It has gotten so far out of control, it's redic.

It's real similar to the issue homeowners are seeing with Zestimates. These guys are using a automated and "manipulatable" market valuation of houses, circumventing licensed appraisers and throwing up bad property values. Sellers are having a hard time selling when the internet shopper is using Zillow, they believe the fake values and decimate the sale price.

It just went to court and Zillow won because they claimed "no, it's not a appraisal, it's a Zestimate" even thouh for all purposes it's been viewed as an accurate measure of value by a large portion of buyers.

I've actually deferred starting any kind of public service business because I can see the direction google ratings, yelp etc is going.
Between lawsuits, and internet damage control, it just isn't worth it.

And it sucks, beacuse I woulld flood Florida with bbq that would make you smack your mother.

edit on 5 by Mandroid7 because: Addd 2

new topics

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join