It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Senate barely passes resolution to restore net neutrality

page: 2
<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join
share:

posted on May, 16 2018 @ 03:46 PM
link   
I am noy informed enough to have an opinion on rather this is good or bad.

I do wonder though if this isnt a first step in the government saying other things are like a utility.

I can see republicans that are angry with google, facebook, and twitter now saying they should be able to ensure those "utilities" do not censor conservative views.

It would be interesting to see both sides flip their arguments if it comes to that.

posted on May, 16 2018 @ 03:46 PM
link   
a reply to: LesMisanthrope

There will be no other service. Comcast? How many of you are chain-linked like slaves to this one ISP? I heard that Comcast has a marketshare which would qualify as a monopoly in several states..

"Statism?"
Like.. your ISP's bandwidth did not double or quadruple or made a tenfold increase over the last decade? Is that this statism?

posted on May, 16 2018 @ 03:49 PM
link   
This law seems better...but it actually supports aggregation and conglomeration in the end.

posted on May, 16 2018 @ 03:56 PM
link   

originally posted by: ManFromEurope

There will be no other service. Comcast? How many of you are chain-linked like slaves to this one ISP? I heard that Comcast has a marketshare which would qualify as a monopoly in several states..

"Statism?"
Like.. your ISP's bandwidth did not double or quadruple or made a tenfold increase over the last decade? Is that this statism?

No, statism is the belief that the government should control social and economic affairs.

I don't use comcast.

posted on May, 16 2018 @ 04:00 PM
link   
Nm.... I'm too tired to read the post I responded to evidently.
edit on 16-5-2018 by drewlander because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 16 2018 @ 04:02 PM
link   
a reply to: ManFromEurope
Your getting there. So you are also in favor of striking down the net neutrality then?? I believe thats what you posted at first glance, but this thing is 210 pages so I have to go over it for the next couple of days.

What the Declaratory Ruling Would Do:
•Restore the classification of broadband Internet access service as an “information service”—the classification affirmed by the Supreme Court in the Brand X case.
•Reinstate the private mobile service classification of mobile broadband Internet access service.
•Clarify the effects of the return to an information service classification on other regulatory frameworks, including the need for a uniform federal regulatory approach to apply to interstate information services like broadband Internet access service. What the Report and Order Would Do:
•Adopt transparency requirements that ISPs disclose information about their practices to consumers, entrepreneurs, and the Commission.
•Restore the Federal Trade Commission’s ability to protect consumers online from any unfair,
deceptive, and anticompetitive practices without burdensome regulations, achieving comparable benefits at lower cost.
•Eliminate the vague and expansive Internet Conduct Standard, under which the FCC micromanaged innovative business models, along with the bright-line rules
What the Order Would Do:
•Find that the public interest is not served by adding to the already-voluminous record in this proceeding additional materials, including confidential materials submitted in other proceedings

My question is, what part of the original telecom act had to be amended to justify the claims of net neutrality legislation?? Internet is by definition an information service, one that is primarily related towards entertainment. Not much different than playing a video game on your tv. The video game is a service delivering information of the entertainment variety.

posted on May, 16 2018 @ 04:04 PM
link   
The only internet anyone on these boards has ever used/known has been neutral. Strange how the moment Trump's administration wants to repeal neutrality his supporters hop on the bandwagon as if the internet they've been using for two decades was the worst thing ever. Like lemmings following king lemming over the edge.

Want slower internet unless you pay more? Repeal net neutrality. Want certain sites blocked unless you buy a more expensive package? Repeal net neutrality. Those who want net neutrality repealed on the basis that it is "control by the government" are only giving that supposed control fully to corporations who only care about "controlling" the money in your pocket.

posted on May, 16 2018 @ 04:14 PM
link   
a reply to: 3NL1GHT3N3D1

The only internet anyone on these boards has ever used/known has been neutral. Strange how the moment Trump's administration wants to repeal neutrality his supporters hop on the bandwagon as if the internet they've been using for two decades was the worst thing ever. Like lemmings following king lemming over the edge.

No American on this board used the internet pre-2015? Even your own registration date disputes that nonsense.

posted on May, 16 2018 @ 04:25 PM
link   

originally posted by: Southern Guardian
How much should we bet if Trump was for Net Neutrality there would be a different tune from his supporters?

Gosh.

That's pretty much the only reason they have for being against it. OBAMA = BAD TRUMP = GOOD I'm not gonna think for myself!
edit on 16pmWed, 16 May 2018 16:26:39 -0500kbpmkAmerica/Chicago by darkbake because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 16 2018 @ 04:29 PM
link   

The internet was neutral pre-2015, only when ISP's started trying to price gouge certain customers and block certain websites behind paywalls did it become law. The whole reason it was codified was because the ISP's were trying to screw the customer over. You want the ISP's to screw you over then repeal net neutrality.
edit on 5/16/2018 by 3NL1GHT3N3D1 because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 16 2018 @ 04:36 PM
link   

originally posted by: 3NL1GHT3N3D1

The internet was neutral pre-2015, only when ISP's started trying to price gouge certain customers and block certain websites behind paywalls did it become law. The whole reason it was codified was because the ISP's were trying to screw the customer over. You want the ISP's to screw you over then repeal net neutrality.

The internet was neutral before the FCC adopted net neutrality regulation? Hilarious.

posted on May, 16 2018 @ 04:42 PM
link   

Yes, it was. I can't help the fact that you don't understand the concept. The term "net neutrality" has been around since at least 2003, 12 years before the FCC made it law.

posted on May, 16 2018 @ 04:52 PM
link   

originally posted by: LesMisanthrope

a reply to: Southern Guardian

“Net neutrality” was always a euphemism for government-enforced conformity.

How?

Isn't it much more of "equality to all data"? How could that be seen as bad, besides from Comcast et al?

It’s the government determining how companies should operate, sticking its fingers in industries where it doesn’t belong.

To you and everyone else saying this idiotic #...

THE INTERNET IS NOT A #ING INDUSTRY

The internet was not created by private companies, the Internet's infrastructure was not built by private companies. It is a #ing global network of machines linked together.

The internet is not an American thing, the internet is not private property. It never has been and it never should be.

how the #ing internet works

posted on May, 16 2018 @ 04:55 PM
link   

originally posted by: worldstarcountry

VETO PLEASE!

Won't need to... the House isn't reinstating this crappy law, no way in hell.

posted on May, 16 2018 @ 05:01 PM
link   

"Statism?"

No, statism is the belief that the government should control social and economic affairs.

I don't use comcast.

What in the world are you talking about?

The government is meant to be an extension of us, to help us govern ourselves more easily as we've grown too large to do so without representation.

I have not seen a single issue over the last year bring Americans together like Net Neutrality has, on both sides of the party, in the media and on the social media... VAST majority of Americans want Net Neutrality. We've been so divided and this was one of the very issues that united us.

And for once our representatives, at least some of them, seem to be at least trying to do what the masses want and you're trying to paint that as government control?

I think it's safer to say that those that did not vote for this no longer represent the people they are supposed to.

posted on May, 16 2018 @ 05:06 PM
link   

Trump will not come to his senses on this issue or any others. He has proven he is a 100 percent corporate president.

Th big Internet companies( Four corporations — Comcast, Charter, AT&T, and Verizon) don't want it so Trump won't support it, it's just that simple.
www.inverse.com...

As usual the GOP supports what the big corporate internet giants want so naturally Trump is on that bandwagon
edit on 16-5-2018 by Willtell because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 16 2018 @ 05:36 PM
link   

originally posted by: dug88

“Net neutrality” was always a euphemism for government-enforced conformity.

How?

Isn't it much more of "equality to all data"? How could that be seen as bad, besides from Comcast et al?

It’s the government determining how companies should operate, sticking its fingers in industries where it doesn’t belong.

To you and everyone else saying this idiotic #...

THE INTERNET IS NOT A #ING INDUSTRY

The internet was not created by private companies, the Internet's infrastructure was not built by private companies. It is a #ing global network of machines linked together.

The internet is not an American thing, the internet is not private property. It never has been and it never should be.

how the #ing internet works

Stop with the common sense. Most people have no idea what they are arguing for or against with net neutrality. Deny Ignorance, get educated.

posted on May, 16 2018 @ 05:43 PM
link   
So I think by now people ought to know net neutrality is about the quality of most american families and relates to abundant business all over the world.

It's a communication tool after all that needs to be protected with transparency that all can access. No pollution and cyber crimes based on regulation is also a bigger part of the end result over time!

Less Huge Corporate entity money safe guarding might ease up so much of that and of course networks need to get smarter and better about joining mesh nets in zip code clusters or something too.

You never know with sustainable Lighter Than Air lta technology we could have satellite liasons available to network zip codes to the available satellites in orbit...

posted on May, 16 2018 @ 05:45 PM
link   

originally posted by: Grambler
I am noy informed enough to have an opinion on rather this is good or bad.

I do wonder though if this isnt a first step in the government saying other things are like a utility.

I can see republicans that are angry with google, facebook, and twitter now saying they should be able to ensure those "utilities" do not censor conservative views.

It would be interesting to see both sides flip their arguments if it comes to that.

This makes no sense. That would be like saying the guy that bottles and sells water would be a utility because he's a company profiting from water....

People really don't seem to be able to grasp the difference between the internet itself and companies that exist on the internet....
edit on 16/5/2018 by dug88 because: (no reason given)

edit on 16/5/2018 by dug88 because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 16 2018 @ 05:55 PM
link   

originally posted by: 3NL1GHT3N3D1

Want slower internet unless you pay more? Repeal net neutrality. Want certain sites blocked unless you buy a more expensive package? Repeal net neutrality. Those who want net neutrality repealed on the basis that it is "control by the government" are only giving that supposed control fully to corporations who only care about "controlling" the money in your pocket.

I take it you don't have Comcast? Infact, I'm sure you don't have any of the major ISPs? They all have structured services where you pay more for faster internet access. It gets covered up as gear rental fee's but really it's just a few lines of code in your account that limits the speed that you're getting. How was that "Net Neutrality", all that stupid rule did was allow major companies to make backdoor deals with cities for exclusive access to their areas (regional monopolies if you will)

top topics

<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join