It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

best president

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Jul, 2 2003 @ 01:01 PM
link   
who do all you guys think is the best president. of all time all 46 or how ever many there are. i am going with andrew jackson

posted on Jul, 2 2003 @ 08:32 PM
link   
It is George Washington by far, if he didn't have the humbleness we know him by, we'd all be a monarchy too...

As for Andrew Jackson, he was very good in that he wanted to see Abraham Lincoln's wished carried through (restoring USA to its pre-Civil War liberties and Constitutionality), unfortunately the Congress didn't agree with doing that...

posted on Jul, 2 2003 @ 08:36 PM
link   
Believe it or not... I really liked Nixon. He was a cool guy. What he did wasn't even really that bad if I recall correctly. They should not have impeached him, he had some REALLY good ideas with this country.

posted on Jul, 2 2003 @ 08:49 PM
link   
Robert Burns,
I think you meant to say "Andrew Johnson" instead of Andrew Jackson, though I agree with another poster, that Jackson was a good president (not so, I'd say, with Johnson... Reconstruction was a disaster from nearly every perspective).

Well, though I'd normally say Washington or Lincoln, to be different, I'll say Eisenhower, or perhaps Truman, because, though they had different policies in many cases, and grew to hate each other, these two men averted nuclear war, while holding back the Soviets. Yes, JFK, Nixon and Reagan all affected the Cold War, but, throught the late 40s and 50s, the chance of war with the USSR was at its most dangerous level. Washington and Lincoln may have saved the USA, but the guys from Eisenhower's era averted the destruction of the human race.

posted on Jul, 2 2003 @ 08:51 PM
link   
J. F. Kennedy........how many times to you get the sexiest woman in the world, at that time, to sing you happy birthday?!?

regards
seekerof

posted on Jul, 2 2003 @ 09:00 PM
link   
There are many.. where to begin...
Washington: He set the example that was failed by all who follwed.. humility to serve at the publics will.
Lincoln: To face the unspeakable and to beat it to death, though the reasons behind this are more complex than "he was an abolishionist" which he was not.
Teddy Roosevelt: He was strong although a bit too nationalistic for me, he helped hold us together through rough times.
Woody Wilson: the penultimate Democrat.. how do I love thee.. let me count the ways...
He was great, he was ahead of the times and he played the politcal game like the master he was.
FDR: the Republican nightmare.. that is all I need
Nixon: He taught us thatthe governement is NOT to be trusted.
Carter: he was not great but he tried to be.

posted on Jul, 2 2003 @ 09:05 PM
link   
Oops you are right onlyinmydreams, forgive that mistake.

I read the first comment as "Andrew Johnson" and so I figured, "odd to say he's the best president".

But I realized his stance supporting Lincoln's ideas, and so I figured he took it for him defying the odds kinda thing.

I must have really zoned out writing Andrew Jackson lol...

posted on Jul, 2 2003 @ 09:21 PM
link   
I would say Washigton or Lincoln. Washigton freed us from the Brits and formed America, and Lincoln did good by freeing the slaves.

posted on Jul, 2 2003 @ 09:31 PM
link   
I can't remember what exactly happened but what did Nixon do for everyone to dislike him?

posted on Jul, 2 2003 @ 09:34 PM
link   
Nixon was invovled in the Watergate scandal. He got spied on the Democrats which is illegal to spy on other political parties. I think thats hopw it went. My memory is shabby.

posted on Jul, 2 2003 @ 09:41 PM
link   

Originally posted by JediMaster
Nixon was invovled in the Watergate scandal. He got spied on the Democrats which is illegal to spy on other political parties. I think thats hopw it went. My memory is shabby.

The crime he committed was a little more intense than simple spying.
Check thisHERE Then dig a bit deeper.

posted on Jul, 3 2003 @ 04:51 AM
link   
I believe the best President of the USA has not been born yet.

posted on Jul, 3 2003 @ 06:01 AM
link   

Originally posted by MaskedAvatar
I believe the best President of the USA has not been born yet.

That is a nice sentiment. I hope you are right.

posted on Jul, 3 2003 @ 09:27 AM
link   
Lincoln and Reagan, of course!

Any of the founders, especially Washington and TJ and I think Harry S. is probably one of the most underrated presidents we've seen and one of my favorites. I almost named my dog Truman - but my son objected.

posted on Jul, 3 2003 @ 10:30 AM
link   
And not just for his presidential contributions, but for his many contributions to this nation...(slave scandal aside...) Were it not for this man, we would not be a nation today...period.

I too, believe Truman was highly under-rated.... He had to contend with the greatest threat to mankind (aliens, and at a time when we were powerless against them), and we're still here, so certainly not a bad thing...

posted on Jul, 3 2003 @ 05:50 PM
link   
Yes,
If it turns-out that Roswell did happen (and I believe it did), then Truman may very well be the best president...

...however, it remains to be seen as to whether the alien issue was handled as well as it could've been. Personally, I think the President who eventually 'breaks' the official news to us will be the best prez... if he can keep everything from falling apart after that.

posted on Jul, 4 2003 @ 01:02 AM
link   
I would ahve to say clintion. I really respect the guy he did what he wanted and he didt care what people thought. Not to menchen the great things he did for this country, ya things where really great until bush camealong and got all republican it really messed things up

posted on Jul, 4 2003 @ 01:37 PM
link   
I agree. I'd say Truman,Eisenhower,& Washington! I also admire John Adams very much! Clinton is why I became a Democrat & he's why I'm proud to be an American!

posted on Jul, 4 2003 @ 01:50 PM
link   
Ya, clinton was awesome. For some reason I felt like he wasn't just some political guy, he was like the cool uncle in your family. We need him back now
It's because of stupid people that impeached him because he got a piece and everyone else didn't like the idea of our president having urges. Man I hate those guys.

posted on Jul, 5 2003 @ 03:06 AM
link   
very difficult: they have such varied powers and America has been so very different at different times: hard to argue with Jackson as perhaps the most politically & constitutionally important president, I've always felt that Cleveland was massively underrated.
Also, although there was little else about his presidency to commend, Monroe -if only by virtue of his doctrine -was profoundly important.

top topics

<<   2 >>

join