It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Breaking- Russia messed with the election - US Senate committee

page: 4
<< 1  2  3    5  6  7 >>

join
share:

posted on May, 16 2018 @ 01:50 PM
link   

originally posted by: Thejoncrichton
So basically the future of elections will be:

1. Democrats win the election - Everything was on the up and up!

2. Republicans win the Election - Russians hacked it (or some other conspiracy was to blame).

yup, at least for some.

Which in a way kind of further erodes the democratic process because now its not being trusted, some people will have lost faith in it.

The key then has to be in ensuring this does not happen again and that could include some kind of electoral reform (the specifics of which I would not be sure of)

posted on May, 16 2018 @ 01:50 PM
link   
Aaahhh...yeah, they knew that a long time ago. Putin admitted he did not like Hillary and did not want her as president of this country. He stated that himself. There were no official laws that made it illegal for Russia to do this, if there were laws, the USA would have been guilty a lot of times. Trump even admitted that the Russians had interferred in the election but said, as was stated before by intelligence agencies,that what they did would not have changed the results. This statement from the committee does not state that the interference changed the results.

So I guess they just needed to resay this again. Nothing has changed. No collusion was probably found. The Russians did set people up but there was no willful collusion stated yet.

There is nothing new in this report, same old thing. For all the time wasted on these investigations there was no change.

We do need to fix this problem so other countries cannot meddle, it is not just Russia that is meddling, a lot of countries, some on our side, are trying to steer the people to vote for the candidate that benefits their country the most.
edit on 16-5-2018 by rickymouse because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 16 2018 @ 01:55 PM
link   
www.linkedin.com...

According to the latest data from Twiplomacy, many world leaders have openly endorsed Hillary Clinton, with 135 heads of state and government and foreign ministers following her campaign account on Twitter.

135 heads of state and government endorsing hrc, not an effort to influence the election.........
but russian troll farms.....

posted on May, 16 2018 @ 01:56 PM
link   

originally posted by: interupt42

originally posted by: Annee
Personally -- I'd question why Russia feared Hillary.

Putin thought she would try to open a Clinton Foundation in Russia if she won , and was afraid of the competition she would bring to the already corrupted Russian underground ?

The biggest reason Trump won was because the alternative was Hillary. Its that simple , had nothing todo with the Russians.

She couldn't even win her own party without colluding with the MSM. Where is the investigation into that?

Heck, she needed to cheat just to get nominated. Remember that those DNC hacks they love to talk about proved that the DNC conspired to make sure Bernie Sanders wouldn't get nominated. And DNC's response was basically, "So what? It's our party, and we'll rig the nominating process if we want to."

The media loves Hillary, but most Americans hate her. The Dems ran a toxic candidate, and they still won't admit it.
edit on 16-5-2018 by AndyFromMichigan because: (no reason given)

link   
WOW! I just googled "examples of russian facebook ads" I clicked on the ny times because I figured they would try to show how the Russians helped Trump but clearly they are playing both sides. There are pro Bernie and anti Trump ads. There is ad for the not my president march. Lol, so when Trump colluded with the Russians did he tell them to put out anit Turmp ads? What a joke...unbelievable

Here is the nytimes article with examples of russian ads www.nytimes.com...

link   
a reply to: OtherSideOfTheCoin

Yeah, that's not what's being said! Actually, nothing substantial is being said. Yeah, they interfered, and Facebook profited from it. Know the tough part... so What? If people weren't swayed by a few Facebook ads or stories, then what IS your point? That foreign governments should interfere with elections unless it's us?

posted on May, 16 2018 @ 01:57 PM
link   
This isn’t really “breaking” news. They’ve been meddling in our elections for a long, long time. Just as we have been meddling in their politics (I won’t call it elections cause nobody is really “elected” in Russia) for a long, long time.

But I think there’s a lot more too it than just Russia. How about the Dems eating their own alive and screwing Bernie out of the democratic election? Or the rumors of how the Dems WANTED trump to get the republican nomination and helped to make it happen because they thought he would be easier to defeat?

Sure, the Russians “meddled” in the election, but they didn’t bring a huge mass of people from the farms and ranches and rural communities who wouldn’t have otherwise gone to the voting booths. The establishment did that.

People looked at, and still do look at trump as anti-establishment. Maybe he is, maybe he isn’t. But he’s not a Clinton or a Bush. He’s not a McCain or a Kerry. He’s an outsider who said everything that the people who were ignored for the 8 previous years wanted to hear. That’s, what got him elected. The same way Obama said everything that the people who were ignored for 8 years before him got him elected.

And to be honest, had Bernie won the Democratic nomination, I believe he would be our president right now. There were plenty of anti-Hillary people ready to stand in her way of the throne well before any Russian interference. Enough of those people I believe would have been willing to accept Bernie over trump.

edit on 16-5-2018 by Assassin82 because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 16 2018 @ 01:59 PM
link   

posted on May, 16 2018 @ 01:59 PM
link   

originally posted by: Willtell

originally posted by: TheGOAT
Nothing Russia did, said, or promoted made me vote for Trump. Zero!

That’s too bad because one day you might need an excuse for why you voted for Trump!

I already have an excuse.

I can get health insurance again without getting a second job.

I get more in my paycheck.

Jobs are booming, my particular business is expanding.

That's just what effects me personally... without getting into trade agreements and international policies.

What's your excuse for not voting Trump?

You may need that some day.

posted on May, 16 2018 @ 02:04 PM
link   
The fact that the writer of this article threw in the word "unprecedented" shows me that this spin is meddling of its own sort. This kind of crap with Russia has been happening long before I was even born. Perhaps the tools they had at their disposal this time around were unprecedented if you want to look at it that way. Also the fact that the DNC laid most of the groundwork for their dirty deeds themselves. Look at how Russia was able to divide and conquer - the Trojan Horse they used was identity politics. Not the money of evil corporations or collusion with Trump himself. Identity politics made this possible. It is the cancer that is eating us from the inside out.
edit on 16-5-2018 by sooth because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 16 2018 @ 02:05 PM
link   
Not sure why this is news. Trump himself acknowledged the Russians interfered in the election almost a year and a half ago.

WaPo

Yet some people still think he denies that because he calls the collusion angle a hoax and the media likes to misrepresent that as him saying the interference itself is a hoax. If anyone here thinks that, you've been misinformed by the media, on accident or on purpose.

posted on May, 16 2018 @ 02:05 PM
link   
a reply to: TheGOAT

i am not saying it isn't possible that you were not influenced but you do frequent conspiracy sites and putin and russia were openly spewing alex jonesesque conspiracy level anti-hilary/pro trump propaganda and talking points throughout the election. there seems to be a movement of conspiracy followers, alt right, *alt white* and 4chan types that bought into the propaganda hook, line and sinker.

posted on May, 16 2018 @ 02:12 PM
link   

originally posted by: conspiracy nut

i am not saying it isn't possible that you were not influenced but you do frequent conspiracy sites and putin and russia were openly spewing alex jonesesque conspiracy level anti-hilary/pro trump propaganda and talking points throughout the election. there seems to be a movement of conspiracy followers, alt right, *alt white* and 4chan types that bought into the propaganda hook, line and sinker.

Those bastards! if they just would have ignored all those e-mails showing how slimy the DNC was/is and ignored how incredibly un-electable Hillary really was, she might have won. She even had the MSM behind her, and still LOST. With Trump being who he is, you really have to wonder how bad things must have been to not only elect him, but have half the polled public support him today.

posted on May, 16 2018 @ 02:13 PM
link   

I dont think the passive activities/behaviors would be observable immediately if at all to the general masses, this is foreign intelligence we are discussing OtherSideOfTheCoin.
They know how to cover their tracks.

I think Hillary being the wife of a previous President had political grooming for years to help prepare her more for the political arena games and that the Russians targeted Trumps more business affiliated mind and influences for their political gain.
And yes the divide witnessed is beneficial to foreign politics, for as the dog chases its own tail it remains distracted of activities abroad.

posted on May, 16 2018 @ 02:13 PM
link   

I have to laugh when I read this kind of junk. People in glass houses eh? Can you say, Iraq, Afghanistan, Vietnam, Angola, Congo, Syria, Cambodia, Nicaragua, Guatemala, Columbia, equador, Argentina, Brazil, Venezuela.... I can keep going on the list of both covert and public forced regime changes or overthrow by the US government.

Cheers - Dave

posted on May, 16 2018 @ 02:16 PM
link   

originally posted by: conspiracy nut

There is a similar effect on the opposite side with anti-Trump propaganda and plenty of people fall for that hook, line and sinker as well. There are still idiots that think Trump was mocking that reporter's disability, which has been debunked and that he thinks all Mexicans are rapists, which is not what he said. And you don't have to go on conspiracy sites to see that, all you have to do is flip on CNN. Propaganda is everywhere.

posted on May, 16 2018 @ 02:17 PM
link   
Here's some examples of the "meddling." I'm pretty sure no votes or minds were swayed. I think they liked Bernie more, actually, than the others.

edit on 16-5-2018 by The GUT because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 16 2018 @ 02:19 PM
link   
The problem with this is that it let's the Democrats place blame and focus on a minor issue, instead of focusing on why they really lost the last election. And that was a bad candidates and alienating their base. Trump was a better candidate than any of the other republicans and excited the far right base. Case closed.

posted on May, 16 2018 @ 02:23 PM
link   

originally posted by: amazing
The problem with this is that it let's the Democrats place blame and focus on a minor issue, instead of focusing on why they really lost the last election. And that was a bad candidates and alienating their base. Trump was a better candidate than any of the other republicans and excited the far right base. Case closed.

Totally agree.

Just the very fact that the Russias have done this now has far reaching consequences for how democracy is viewed and this is a key point. Now there is a danger that the narrative will become that the Dems only lost because of the Russian interference when, while yes it may have contributed, there are actually other more important reasons they lost.

posted on May, 16 2018 @ 02:36 PM
link   

originally posted by: OtherSideOfTheCoin

originally posted by: shooterbrody

And the brits and aussies and mexicans attempted to get hrc elected....more foreign powers attempting to influence our elections
but somehow those stories are "less" important

What so the brits, Aussies and Mexicans went out hacking into the DNC, using bots and creating fake news with the purpose of getting Hilary elected at a state level....mmmm

proof?
I think you are confused. There isn't evidence the DNC was hacked by Russia and evidence to the contrary. Second, the "fake news" and social media targeted both candidates AND much was AFTER the election. It also was minimal in expenditure and manpower compared to the resources and efforts for national campaigns.

top topics

<< 1  2  3    5  6  7 >>

join