It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Researchers Discover 'Singing' Molecular Cloud , Hear the Song of Musca

page: 1

join
share:

posted on May, 15 2018 @ 02:17 PM
link   
Musca is a large molecular cloud of gas and dust a few hundred light years away from Earth which is visible in the Southern sky , a team of Australian astronomers have been studying the structure of the cloud and its striations and by doing so have discovered the Song of Musca.

A study led by ANU and the University of Crete in Greece has shed light on Musca, a molecular cloud, hundreds of light years away from Earth. Musca is surrounded by ordered hair-like structures called striations, which are produced by trapped waves of gas and dust that cause the vibrations of the cloud. The research team was able to determine the shape of Musca by analysing the spatial frequencies of these vibrations, which were then converted into ringing tones to reveal the ‘Song of Musca’.

Symphonic.

posted on May, 15 2018 @ 02:23 PM
link   
So what part of the sound in that video was the sound ?

posted on May, 15 2018 @ 02:26 PM
link   
RIP headphone users.

Turn down the volume if you use them. I am on 10% yt sound level and ~40% HDMI output but it still was loud AF.

Interestingly this is kind of the sound that I heard shortly before my first OBE. Similar to the THX sound in cinemas just more stepped.

Or I´m deaf now, can´t tell!

edit on 15-5-2018 by verschickter because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 15 2018 @ 02:26 PM
link   
a reply to: Spacespider

From 19 seconds.

posted on May, 15 2018 @ 03:22 PM
link   
a reply to: gortex

That was cool how it built up into a chord that "wanted" to be resolved by that augmented chord and the orchestral major chord at the end!

Weird how that works out!

While we are sharing music and science, a guy at MIT went to the Alcator C-Mod tokamak, hooked a modular synth, did a little time correcting, but otherwise fed the data the fusion reactor was pumping out, also converting it to "notes" and arranged several runs. Sounds like a 70's Dr. Who soundtrack!!

Currently streaming, media.mit.edu (US) - synthy.

news.mit.edu, article - Spinning data into sound.

Weird how space sounds like an orchestra and nuclear fusion sounds like Rick Wakeman dorking around with a Moog!

posted on May, 15 2018 @ 03:44 PM
link   
That's awesome. I live the idea of everything in the universe having it's own song.

posted on May, 15 2018 @ 03:55 PM
link   
Sounds fake with drums and stuff. Probably some guy using a synthesizer app with some programmable drums.

posted on May, 15 2018 @ 03:57 PM
link   

It's pretty much the overtone series. With a few ninths and major sevenths in there.

posted on May, 15 2018 @ 05:52 PM
link   

originally posted by: TinfoilTP
Sounds fake with drums and stuff. Probably some guy using a synthesizer app with some programmable drums.

It clearly says "interpretation" so it's whatever the guy interpreting it felt like. Based on the patterns of the noise maybe?

I don't think is magical or great, it's lame the way it "ends"

posted on May, 15 2018 @ 08:17 PM
link   

originally posted by: WarriorMH

It clearly says "interpretation" so it's whatever the guy interpreting it felt like. Based on the patterns of the noise maybe?

I don't think is magical or great, it's lame the way it "ends"

I would assume they correlated the frequencies to frequencies of musical pitch. And like I mentioned earlier, it's pretty much the overtone series.

posted on May, 15 2018 @ 11:47 PM
link   

Yeahhh..the word 'anthropocentric' comes to mind every time someone tries to make music out of data.

Didn't someone try to do this with tree rings and a record stylus? Ended up being @%$# but people were still creaming themselves over it.

Fun fact, the intro to this song was created with a similar approach..supposedly some biometric data plugged into a synth.

edit on 15-5-2018 by NarcolepticBuddha because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 17 2018 @ 05:33 AM
link   

Very interesting, of course remember the music from the ring's of Saturn, all of this is just down to the interpretation of a group of scientists though wanting to make there profession sexy and boost there funding by boosting it's popularity etc.
But what of an actual musical score found in a real pattern of the stars, stars and flowers on the cactus cloth tilma of Juan Diego.
Sorry this is in spanish.

Here is just the music based on the exact notes found in the pattern of the stars (which are an exact match for the night sky on the date of the images appearance upon the tilma).

top topics

join