It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Future generations will see Boomers and Millenials as failures.

page: 2
<< 1    3 >>

join
share:

posted on May, 15 2018 @ 01:44 PM
link   

originally posted by: jjkenobi
So as a Gen X I'm all good? Hahaha yissssss

No we are just cooler!

We are cleaning up the Boomers messes and making the Millennials grow the hell up!

We are transforming the workplace

All the Millennials are doing right now is learning to put down the game controllers and actually get jobs...haha!

posted on May, 15 2018 @ 01:47 PM
link   
a reply to: starwarsisreal

Economic downturns are inevitable, but the President actually has very little effect on the economy.
Presidents Have Less Power Over the Economy Than You Might Think

posted on May, 15 2018 @ 01:59 PM
link   
What's with this ageism # lately? I see my son(28) bitching about "old people" on FB and whining that Millennials get put down all the time.

posted on May, 15 2018 @ 02:03 PM
link   

originally posted by: intrepid
What's with this ageism # lately? I see my son(28) bitching about "old people" on FB and whining that Millennials get put down all the time.

Well, to be honest, old people really are the worst.

posted on May, 15 2018 @ 02:13 PM
link   

I can't speak to the situation about Millennials, although all the ones I've met and interacted with at work seem pretty hard working and level headed.

The Boomers? I'm a Boomer and I don't like the Boomer generation. Whether at home or when travelling, I avoid them like the plague. They exhibit a combination of self-centered arrogance and smugness that's truly repulsive. Listening to them talk is like listening to an endless stream of NPR talking points. Talking to them is impossible because they pay absolutely no attention to anything anyone else has to say.

As well, I'd have to say they are by far and away the most superficial bunch of people I"ve ever met.

posted on May, 15 2018 @ 02:16 PM
link   
a reply to: intrepid

You didn't know?
Kinda like its o.k. to hate on white people because after all, they're all racist, its perfectly o.k. to hate on "old" people, because, after all...........they're old.

Guess that's the difference between the US and Canada........in the US everyone's got a reason to hate someone. Hate is what "Americans" do!

posted on May, 15 2018 @ 02:18 PM
link   
Greatest, Boomer, X, Millennial, and Z are all marketing categories designed to make it easier to sell nonsense to entire groups of sheep based on the principle of "groupthink."

It is a form of substitute thinking designed to hypnotize a Homo sapien into believing it is a Canis lupus familiari.

Those who cynically manipulate generational categories for profit are called "makers."

Those who buy or consume content or propaganda designed for a specific in-group are called "marks."

posted on May, 15 2018 @ 02:22 PM
link   

originally posted by: Blue Shift

Well, to be honest, old people really are the worst.

Yeah but what's "old people"? The LAST of the Boomers are 55 now. They may have been partying it up, I know I was but that was just the last of us. There's Boomers in their 70's now. They weren't out getting boob jobs and snorting blow.

posted on May, 15 2018 @ 02:39 PM
link   

Yeah but what's "old people"? The LAST of the Boomers are 55 now. They may have been partying it up, I know I was but that was just the last of us. There's Boomers in their 70's now. They weren't out getting boob jobs and snorting blow.

The primary trait associated with Boomers is selfishness. But that's subjective. And besides, why wouldn't a generation be selfish if they have been catered to by marketers all their lives to be convinced that satisfying their needs - however trivial - was incredibly important? Boomers accumulated insane amounts of wealth, and then spent it on themselves. Why wouldn't they? But instead of boob jobs, it's now hip replacements.

Unlike the old days, where newer generations built on the advancements of the previous generations, we seem to be nearing the end of unchecked human expansion, and now the younger generations are stuck wearing the worn-out hand-me-downs of the previous generations. At least rock 'n roll finally died. The Rolling Stones notwithstanding.

posted on May, 15 2018 @ 03:59 PM
link   
Millennials haven't had a chance to really infect us culturally with their authoritarian oppressive ideologies. Just wait till the majority of the establishment consists of these Marxists.

The baby boomer simply pawned everything off on their children and their children's children. Pollution, the debt, fiat currencies, political corruption, etc. They sold out future generations to secure a better future for themselves. This old ad is a perfect example of the mentality of most baby boomers.

posted on May, 15 2018 @ 04:04 PM
link   
Every Generation except a few proud that served the great wars is pretty much a waste of o2.

You know it, I know it, cannot run from it. We suck. There are a few good people..Good Doctors, researchers, Marine/Eco Biologists perhaps, etc.

The rest of us...eh. All fail

posted on May, 15 2018 @ 04:30 PM
link   

originally posted by: Blue Shift

originally posted by: IgnoranceIsntBlisss
Since on our current trajectory there may only be a couple few more generations to go before Homo sapiens go extinct, oh well.

That's for damned sure. Either Artificial Intelligence will do away with us, and/or we will gain such control of our own genetics that we purposely split into dozens of different sub-species. So yeah, we're definitely on the way out. Of course, I'll be dead before it happens, so I guess it doesn't matter to me. But you young folks out there might live to see it. The End of Humanity.

You've been diagnosed with terminal cancer or something? The shift to zero is already in motion.

posted on May, 15 2018 @ 05:11 PM
link   

posted on May, 15 2018 @ 05:15 PM
link   

originally posted by: IgnoranceIsntBlisss
You've been diagnosed with terminal cancer or something? The shift to zero is already in motion.

But it won't happen overnight. These large cultural shifts take a few years to happen at least. So I may make it out before I'm turned into gray goo or had my DNA modified so I'll turn into a Brunelfly.

posted on May, 15 2018 @ 08:12 PM
link   

Way too broad brushed. How can entire generations (however we want to define them) be guilty of these things?

While there may be a few loosely reoccurring themes going on for various reasons, I am not going to hold individuals to them without more critical inspection.

I do not like to get pissy on someone else's thread and I apologize if I am coming across that way. Sorry.

posted on May, 15 2018 @ 09:40 PM
link   
And Generation X will not be remembered at all. Middle children indeed.

posted on May, 15 2018 @ 09:42 PM
link   
a reply to: ABNARTY

Same here. Every generation does its' best to clean up after the other one. Millennials inherited a horribly superficial system and have very little means to change it. They are turning toward spirituality because of this wreck they were left holding. They have never learned because their parents were too busy for them, so now they are looking for help in any form. I have set a few on a more prosperous path, but they are mostly illiterate, selfish, and have very little desire to put forth any effort....pretty much like their parents, but with less options. It isn't any one person's fault, it is just the result of stupidity and narcissism run amuck.

posted on May, 16 2018 @ 01:22 AM
link   
I witnessed the difference between Gen X and the millenials in college and it can be seen very clearly in smaller groups that have a tradition of joining the organization such as Greek organizations and sports teams. My pledge class was the last that was all gen X, then next was a mix and then after that it was all millenials and it caused a huge divide within our organization. My class was a little slower than previous classes and there were a bunch of "soft" people who needed extra time and help to make it through though all of us made it through. We could only proceed as fast as the slowest in the group. Our class took an extra week to complete everything, which wasn't that bad considering a number of incidents. The next class was basically finishing week 1 at the end of week 3 to mid week 4, because they just didn't respect the process, those who came before and went through the same thing (although it was much more difficult even the year before and had to be "dumbed" down and lowered the "intensity" - the amount of work/time spent studying). The classes after me demanded to be treated as equals at the beginning of pledging.

This same trend happened across campus and it was a common discussion at campus IFC meetings and it was also noted in most sports teams where freshmen showed little to no respect to upper classmen who had done much for the school and team.

At the time we didn't really understand what was going on and didn't attribute it to a "generational" issue as it seemed to happen from one semester to the next, it was like a switch was flipped and the students became pansies.

This caused a major rift between older members of greek organizations and sports teams and many lost total support from alumni because the new classes showed almost no respect for previous classes and they thought they should be worshipped as the current body of the organization, which is kind of the opposite of how things used to be and should be. This lead to many greek organizations deciding to let their chapters die instead of allowing more brats into their organizations. Alumni donations, upon which many organizations survived, totally dried up and new members weren't invited to alumni events b/c they just caused problems. Complaints were made to national committees and some charters were pulled, others died a slow death from matriculation as new members weren't dedicated enough to even continue traditional recruitment practices.

The sad thing is that greek organizations used to be really fun and were often the center of the social scenes at colleges. There was a lot of responsibility that went a long with this where we would have 5-10 sober people per night to oversee large parties to make sure things didn't get out of control and bad things didn't happen. I rarely ever hear about that now. There have been so many pledging incidents the last 10 years because current members are so immature they don't realize they are responsible to the lives of those who are "under" them int he pledge process and they want to be the ones having a good time. Looking at the old movie Animal house, it seems that current generations think this is a documentary on how greek life is supposed to be run/done and not an extreme satire of it. I know we had a few nights in college that might have come close to Animal house level debauchery but it was usually a few guys/gals celebrating something, not entire organizations acting w/o a care in the world (except Dec 31 1999 - that was a different story!!!!
)

I do think that the generational issue is 100% rooted in parenting and schooling as there are schools around me that have maintained a pretty traditional form of teaching and most parents of these children adhere to more traditional and strict form of parenting as well - respect elders, involvement in school activities (sports, clubs, etc), find jobs when legally allowed at 14 - 16yrs old (often sooner by working at home/neighbors). Then there are neighboring towns that are extremely liberal and the kids are like from a different world, often covered in tattoos/piercings before graduating, outrageous dress/clothing, often criminal records or school discipline (in extreme cases) or total lack of discipline at home/school and have no sense of responsibility. There was this divide 20-30 years ago but it seems to have gotten worse from what I see in the papers. Back then, the 'liberal" school would make fun of and mock students of the more rigid school, start fights, etc just because they worked and participated in school sports. Just like most liberals, they often got stomped when things got real or folded when stepped up to.

posted on May, 16 2018 @ 01:27 AM
link   

originally posted by: DigginFoTroof
I witnessed the difference between Gen X and the millenials in college and it can be seen very clearly in smaller groups that have a tradition of joining the organization such as Greek organizations and sports teams. My pledge class was the last that was all gen X, then next was a mix and then after that it was all millenials and it caused a huge divide within our organization. My class was a little slower than previous classes and there were a bunch of "soft" people who needed extra time and help to make it through though all of us made it through. We could only proceed as fast as the slowest in the group. Our class took an extra week to complete everything, which wasn't that bad considering a number of incidents. The next class was basically finishing week 1 at the end of week 3 to mid week 4, because they just didn't respect the process, those who came before and went through the same thing (although it was much more difficult even the year before and had to be "dumbed" down and lowered the "intensity" - the amount of work/time spent studying). The classes after me demanded to be treated as equals at the beginning of pledging.

This same trend happened across campus and it was a common discussion at campus IFC meetings and it was also noted in most sports teams where freshmen showed little to no respect to upper classmen who had done much for the school and team.

At the time we didn't really understand what was going on and didn't attribute it to a "generational" issue as it seemed to happen from one semester to the next, it was like a switch was flipped and the students became pansies.

This caused a major rift between older members of greek organizations and sports teams and many lost total support from alumni because the new classes showed almost no respect for previous classes and they thought they should be worshipped as the current body of the organization, which is kind of the opposite of how things used to be and should be. This lead to many greek organizations deciding to let their chapters die instead of allowing more brats into their organizations. Alumni donations, upon which many organizations survived, totally dried up and new members weren't invited to alumni events b/c they just caused problems. Complaints were made to national committees and some charters were pulled, others died a slow death from matriculation as new members weren't dedicated enough to even continue traditional recruitment practices.

The sad thing is that greek organizations used to be really fun and were often the center of the social scenes at colleges. There was a lot of responsibility that went a long with this where we would have 5-10 sober people per night to oversee large parties to make sure things didn't get out of control and bad things didn't happen. I rarely ever hear about that now. There have been so many pledging incidents the last 10 years because current members are so immature they don't realize they are responsible to the lives of those who are "under" them int he pledge process and they want to be the ones having a good time. Looking at the old movie Animal house, it seems that current generations think this is a documentary on how greek life is supposed to be run/done and not an extreme satire of it. I know we had a few nights in college that might have come close to Animal house level debauchery but it was usually a few guys/gals celebrating something, not entire organizations acting w/o a care in the world (except Dec 31 1999 - that was a different story!!!!
)

I do think that the generational issue is 100% rooted in parenting and schooling as there are schools around me that have maintained a pretty traditional form of teaching and most parents of these children adhere to more traditional and strict form of parenting as well - respect elders, involvement in school activities (sports, clubs, etc), find jobs when legally allowed at 14 - 16yrs old (often sooner by working at home/neighbors). Then there are neighboring towns that are extremely liberal and the kids are like from a different world, often covered in tattoos/piercings before graduating, outrageous dress/clothing, often criminal records or school discipline (in extreme cases) or total lack of discipline at home/school and have no sense of responsibility. There was this divide 20-30 years ago but it seems to have gotten worse from what I see in the papers. Back then, the 'liberal" school would make fun of and mock students of the more rigid school, start fights, etc just because they worked and participated in school sports. Just like most liberals, they often got stomped when things got real or folded when stepped up to.

I have dated Gen X'rs

They are just as dumb/insane as anyone.

posted on May, 16 2018 @ 01:27 AM
link   

originally posted by: DigginFoTroof

)

I have dated Gen X'rs

They are just as dumb/insane as anyone.

new topics

top topics

<< 1    3 >>

join