It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Bias notice to an ATSNN submission.

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Feb, 18 2005 @ 03:34 PM
link   
The reporter and editor titles went with the changes in the system.

posted on Feb, 18 2005 @ 04:20 PM
link   

China and India are ready to bid the west out of "The oil and natural gas war."

During the next few years these two countries will be in direct competition with Europe and America for natural resources such as oil and natural gas from all over the world, including the Middle East.

Whoever wins the bids to use this oil and natural gas will be able to grow faster and eventually dominate the world.

It's not opinion, but it is analysis. Your source article was almost purely editorial. The only facts that were confirmed in the article were the statements made by people at the Houston Energy Conference, and those statements themselves were mostly analysis and unattributed "facts".

You theoretically could have presented a non-biased article by reporting on what was said about the situation at the Energy Conference, but IndiaDaily's bad reporting didn't give you much to work with, even if they were exactly right.

I'm not the one who killed your article but I can see why somebody did. It's not even nearly the most biased that has come through, but it was heavy on analysis and light on facts, although not by any fault of yours.

posted on Feb, 18 2005 @ 04:41 PM
link   
I resubmitted again the article, what i would like to know is the reason why whoever it was did this.

posted on Feb, 18 2005 @ 05:06 PM
link   
ok....this is just too much.... i just recieved another u2u..... now the reason given is "a need to improve the grammar".....

An experienced ATSNN user (author with 25 or more accepted submissions, original ATSNN staff, or board staff) has noticed a need to improve the grammar of your submission here:
(submission) (news) China And India Ready For The Oil And Natural Gas Catastrophe..

Please go to your submission and modify your submission. This is likely capitalization of the subject line, poor sentence structure of your intro section, poor spelling, and improper punctuation or paragraph breaks (your intro section should be on properly constructed paragraph).

Your submission will not be able to accept member votes until you return and make the needed edits.

DO NOT REPLY TO THIS U2U.

posted on Feb, 18 2005 @ 05:12 PM
link   

Originally posted by djohnsto77
Maybe it's because India Daily is not considered a reliable source. They have many UFO stories etc.

Ummm, does that make ATS 'not considered a reliable source'?

posted on Feb, 18 2005 @ 05:14 PM
link   

Originally posted by Chakotay
Ummm, does that make ATS 'not considered a reliable source'?

ATSNN has a higher journalistic standard than the Aliens & UFOs forum of ATS; however, I see your point.

BTW: I voted for your new story Muaddib!

[edit on 2/18/2005 by djohnsto77]

posted on Feb, 18 2005 @ 05:18 PM
link   

Originally posted by Muaddib
ok....this is just too much.... i just recieved another u2u..... now the reason given is "a need to improve the grammar".....

An experienced ATSNN user (author with 25 or more accepted submissions, original ATSNN staff, or board staff) has noticed a need to improve the grammar of your submission here:
(submission) (news) China And India Ready For The Oil And Natural Gas Catastrophe..

Please go to your submission and modify your submission. This is likely capitalization of the subject line, poor sentence structure of your intro section, poor spelling, and improper punctuation or paragraph breaks (your intro section should be on properly constructed paragraph).

Your submission will not be able to accept member votes until you return and make the needed edits.

DO NOT REPLY TO THIS U2U.

I understand your frustration. ...Went through the same thing before the system changed, except the editor's name was on the u2u. But usually they were offline when I had questions.

It is definitely not fun to feel like you're out in the cold.

...If you have no one to help you, feel free to u2u me and I'll see what I can do. But do it quick cuz I want to go offline soon.

posted on Feb, 18 2005 @ 05:18 PM
link   
Muaddib,

I don't see a huge problem with the grammar. But in the interests of seeing your story upgraded, I copied your last paragraph and made the following adjustments, I hope you don't mind.

This new revelation comes up in spite of the Kyoto Protocol, which had it been implemented by all nations, would have been most beneficial to both China and India. According to the Kyoto Accord, these two nations wouldn't need to reduce their emission of greenhouse gases, assuring the economic growth of both countries.

Other than the small problems I fiddled with, I don't think there is much else wrong with the grammar. And I voted for your story, the way it was.

posted on Feb, 18 2005 @ 05:25 PM
link   
Just recieved another u2u.... Same thing.... Grammar needs to improve....

Here is a copy of the three u2us i recieved, this is really ridiculous.

ATSNN GRAMMAR PROBLEM atsnn 18-2-2005 @ 11:14 Y del save
ATSNN GRAMMAR PROBLEM atsnn 18-2-2005 @ 11:02 Y del save
ATSNN BIAS NOTICE atsnn 18-2-2005 @ 03:27

[edit on 18-2-2005 by Muaddib]

posted on Feb, 18 2005 @ 05:35 PM
link   
First paragraph...

China and India are ready to outbid the west in "The Oil and Natural Gas War". During the next few years these two countries will be in direct competition with Europe and America for natural resources from all over the world, including the Middle East, such as oil and natural gas. Whoever wins the bids for the oil and natural gas will be able to grow faster and eventually dominate the world.

I'm only doing this because I would like to see the story upgraded, I don't mean to stick my nose in where it doesn't belong. Well, OK, I do, but that doesn't make me different from anyone here

posted on Feb, 18 2005 @ 05:39 PM
link   
Muaddib, you could just correct the grammar and be done with it. I think the Editors are just trying to do their job.

posted on Feb, 18 2005 @ 06:32 PM
link   
The original introduction portion of your submission did indeed seem to be a statement involving opinion, rather than the facts of the article. This is within the intended purpose of the "bias" notice.

posted on Feb, 18 2005 @ 08:41 PM
link   

Originally posted by Duzey
BTW, ATSNN has never been my primary source of articles and news. I may be in the small minority here, but I find that the heavy US population (no complaints about it, there's just a lot of you) skews the news.

As a non-US resident, I have different interests than many here, and find the constant accusations of 'bush-bashing' very tiresome. It seems the vast majority of members here, not all, are not interested in anything that challenges their preconceived notions/opinions. This, however, is a problem with all of ATS, and not limited to ATSNN.

I'm with Duzey! I read lots of different sources for news from around the world. And I try and post interesting things that I find in Canadian news, but never see much activity on those things if not from Canadians.

Its too bad, 'cause I for one would like to hear more from non-Canadians. Especially in light of the fact that Canadians have no shortage of access to American news (and others), but not vice-versa.

posted on Feb, 18 2005 @ 10:13 PM
link   
Duzey- fight it.
The constant skewing of news from both sides does need to stop As more people get 25 points and are able to hit the bias button, ATSNN will have to become for objective and factual.

Mods, is it possible, and if so is it a good idea perhaps, that people who get too many bias warnings should get a short reporting ban, and that people who repeatedly issue false bias warnings should lose that ability?

The bias warning is a good idea and will better ATSNN, but we have to make sure that people don't get too fussy about legit analysis presented in the proper column of a report.

posted on Feb, 18 2005 @ 11:00 PM
link   

Originally posted by The Vagabond
Duzey- fight it.

Once again Vagabond, you have proven far too wise for your own good.

If you continue being so darn smart, people may stop wanting to hear what you have to say.

Thanks. I guess it's like that old saying 'If you are not part of the solution, you are probably part of the problem'.

posted on Feb, 18 2005 @ 11:32 PM
link   
Hey Muaddib................................

I have had problems trying to post news stories too !!

I tried 4 times and each time had them knocked back..........the latest was for minimal submission and I thought I had met all the guidelines. After going back I found someone had beat me too it.

www.belowtopsecret.com...

Just gotta keep trying I guess !

posted on Feb, 19 2005 @ 12:12 AM
link   

Originally posted by Muaddib
The problem is that now i can't edit the submission, it won't let me.

I handled a similar problem I had with such a claim by U2U'ing one of the ATSNN editors....I couldn't edit it and so it was stuck in limbo....

The bias was supposidly coming from the title of my article:
"Jackson's Star-Studded Defence"

But when you look at his defence line-up....to put it bluntly, it is "star-studded"

Not that I have anything against whoever suggested it was bias....I can see their reasoning, but I'm thinking they just didn't read beyond that.....

At any rate - it was easily resolved via U2U.....

[edit on 2/19/2005 by EnronOutrunHomerun]

posted on Feb, 19 2005 @ 07:09 AM
link   
Unfortunately, I also am having the same exact issue with my submissions. Issues such as a misspelling of Mendocino causes a subission to be placed in limbo. then someone has some kind of link issue which I have checked with both IE and Firefox with no issues.
I think what needs to be done is the people who are checking the submissions, need to identify the problem a bit more instead of sending "canned" responses. It does get extremely frustrating

new topics

top topics

<< 1   >>

join