It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Bias notice to an ATSNN submission.

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Feb, 18 2005 @ 01:56 PM
link   
Having to post this to bring it to attention, and showing in doing this that I am the author of the submission I am speaking about, i think what is happening is unfair and irrational. i recieved the following notice.

An experienced ATSNN user (author with 25 or more accepted submissions, original ATSNN staff, or board staff) has noticed excessive bias in aspects of your submission here:
(submission) (news) China And India Ready For The Oil And Natural Gas Catastrophe..

Please go to your submission and modify your intro and subjectline to be as neutral as possible. At ATSNN wer strive to present the facts of news submissions and rely on follow up discussion for the spin or angle of any given story.

Your submission will not be able to accept member votes until you return and make the needed edits.

DO NOT REPLY TO THIS U2U.

I find quite a few things interesting.. First, of all the link i gave is from India....and their own title is very similar to the title i gave to the submission.

Second, how exactly was I showing any bias and in what?
If whoever sent the email, which blocks the submission from recieving votes, refers to the following.

This new revelation comes up in spite of the Kyoto Protocol, which if it was implemented by all nations, would have been most beneficial to both China and India, since they are the two nations that according to the Kyoto Accord, both countries wouldn't need to reduce their emission of greenhouse gases, and would assure economic growth in both countries.

Is the above not true?....how exactly is it biased, if it is the truth?....

Third and last point....I have seen posts in ATSNN with real bias and they have all been accepted as articles, so i do not understand why or who would do this.

The following is the title from the Indian link.

India and China are ready for the coming catastrophic east-west oil bidding war – ready to strategically bid the West out to achieve higher growth

The following is the main link which i give in the submission.

www.indiadaily.com...

and the following is the ATSNN link to my submission.

www.abovetopsecret.com...

Also, the subject line which i gave, is pretty much what it says in the article, you can read it for yourselves. Since I can't sent an u2u to whoever did this, I have to bring it up in here.

[edit on 18-2-2005 by Muaddib]

posted on Feb, 18 2005 @ 02:01 PM
link   
To be honest, I've seen worse that have been upgraded today.

Your formatting could use a little work though.

In your first paragraph you want to try and keep the opinion right out, you want the "5 W's", Who, What, Where, When & Why. No spaces between lines, your lead is supposed to be one paragraph less than 50 words.

Your thoughts should always be left to the side, if you feel the need to comment then try to keep it light after the main body of your story.

posted on Feb, 18 2005 @ 02:04 PM
link   
Maybe it's because India Daily is not considered a reliable source. They have many UFO stories etc.

posted on Feb, 18 2005 @ 02:08 PM
link   
5-10 years from now when ufos are proven this news source will be more reliable then CNN, MSNBC, so forth.(Won't include fox for this is already more reliable then Fox)

I stopped trying to put things in. Either I put it in seconds after someone else or it was made after I looked through to see if anyone had reported on it.

posted on Feb, 18 2005 @ 02:09 PM
link   
But you see, we are supposed to present an informative article, with the points being presented in the original article right?

What opinion did i present in the first paragraph that would be considered bias?

If you are refering to the part where i mention "world domination", let me show you what the original link says.

India and China in the next few years will be in direct competition with America and European Union for oil and Natural gas from all over the world specially Middle East. The bottom line is that who ever gets to use the oil, will grow faster and eventually dominate the world.

Excerpted from original link.

So how is it bias when they mention it in the article?

posted on Feb, 18 2005 @ 02:11 PM
link   

Originally posted by Muaddib
But you see, we are supposed to present an informative article, with the points being presented in the original article right?

What opinion did i present in the first paragraph?

If you are refering to the part where i mention "world domination", let me show you what the original link says.

India and China in the next few years will be in direct competition with America and European Union for oil and Natural gas from all over the world specially Middle East. The bottom line is that who ever gets to use the oil, will grow faster and eventually dominate the world.

Excerpted from original link.

So how is it bias when they mention it in the article?

I didnt mean you were expressing opinions in the first paragraph, I ws just going over the groundwork for a good article. If your formatting was right then I'd have voted yes.

FYI: It wasn't me who voted bias.

posted on Feb, 18 2005 @ 02:11 PM
link   

Originally posted by James the Lesser
5-10 years from now when ufos are proven this news source will be more reliable then CNN, MSNBC, so forth.(Won't include fox for this is already more reliable then Fox)

Then perhaps we should stop reporting about every conspiracy there is because they haven't truly been proven....

First of all, this is not about UFOs.... This is an article directly from one of the countries which is part of what is going on, and i have seen links to less reliable sources being given for articles.

posted on Feb, 18 2005 @ 02:12 PM
link   
other than the spacing format of your intro paragraph, I see nothing wrong with your submission.

I know India Daily is a questionable source but so is Al-Jazeera and I have sourced them before. Anyways this isn't a UFO story so that shouldn't matter, should it?

and yes, I have seen worse examples of bias on ATSNN before, who knows I'm probably one of the guilty ones too.

and unfortunately I didn't have an opportunity to vote or read your article until you pointed it out in this thread.

[edit on 2-18-2005 by worldwatcher]

posted on Feb, 18 2005 @ 02:13 PM
link   
I have no idea Muadib. I voted for said article even though the formatting was a bit off, I believe it to be an important story and was rather disappointed when it didn't get upgraded.

EDIT I am with worldwatcher I saw no Bias in that story,

[edit on 18-2-2005 by sardion2000]

posted on Feb, 18 2005 @ 02:14 PM
link   
I believe that restrictions are becoming more prevalent, as they try to upgrade the image of the the news board.
I also have seen heavily biased news stories within the last month, but not in the last few days...

BTW the India daily is considered to be the enquirer of India...(in India)

posted on Feb, 18 2005 @ 02:14 PM
link   

Originally posted by worldwatcher
other than the spacing format of your intro paragraph, I see nothing wrong with your submission.

The problem is that now i can't edit the submission, it won't let me.

posted on Feb, 18 2005 @ 02:15 PM
link   
I don't have a problem with your article at all, and would have voted for it had I been able.

I think the quality of submissions has gone way down since the change-over, and while I was initially feeling positive about the changes, that is now all gone. I have seen much more heavily biased articles posted and upgraded.

No matter which side you are on, left or right, politics should not play a part of what in posted on ATSNN. If it's news, it's news. Unfortunately, we seemed to have joined the ranks of biased reporting to be found everywhere else.

Of course, as always, just one persons opinion. YMMV.

posted on Feb, 18 2005 @ 02:58 PM
link   

Originally posted by Duzey

I think the quality of submissions has gone way down since the change-over, and while I was initially feeling positive about the changes, that is now all gone.

Hmm. Not me. IMO - ATSNN has a personality now. Before, it seemed more like a FOX news wannabe.

Unfortunately, we seemed to have joined the ranks of biased reporting to be found everywhere else.

Most every source we use comes to us already sanitized, with uncomfortable facts removed. Now we're seeing news from all over, with a 'down home' kinda spin. Personally, I like that a lot better than the sheets that come through the washington wash cycle.

....Not that criticism isn't warranted - it always is. But that's why we're special, cuz the criticsm and discussion is part of the 'news.'

FYI Mauddib - I was criticized for using Asia Times as a source - and comparatively, Asia Times like the Washington Post while India Daily is like the Enquirer.

BUT - I too have seen a number of articles sent off to the forums or held up when I didn't agree.
...I guess we're just human.

...sorry about your post - you should u2u a mod if it's really important to you. IMO - it's not fair at all if you can't get in to edit.

posted on Feb, 18 2005 @ 03:01 PM
link   
The variety of writers on ATSNN is greater now and it makes for a more interesting read. Equality and integration have always been at the forefront hence the anonymous submission and voting systems.

We've come a long way and sometimes change is painful, but this is really for the best.

posted on Feb, 18 2005 @ 03:03 PM
link   
Muaddib, a mod can edit it for you, find one willing to help you.

posted on Feb, 18 2005 @ 03:07 PM
link   

Originally posted by Nerdling
The variety of writers on ATSNN is greater now and it makes for a more interesting read. Equality and integration have always been at the forefront hence the anonymous submission and voting systems.

We've come a long way and sometimes change is painful, but this is really for the best.

Yeah I agree, there is still some kinks to be worked out, allthough I really wish it was more in the same style as Wikinews, but I realize that the user base is nowhere near that of Wikipedia so it might not be such a good idea. What I wanna know is how come the ATSNN Reporter titles were removed! I thought that was a very good idea! Not only when a member gets the right to have his/her stories automatically upgraded, they should get a nice shiny new title to boot.

posted on Feb, 18 2005 @ 03:09 PM
link   
Well I don't see anything wrong on the story either but I am not ATSNN expert either, I think it sounds interesting enough and is true.

posted on Feb, 18 2005 @ 03:10 PM
link   
Well actually if you have 25 stories upgraded through voting then you earn "ATSNN" below your name. All previous ATSNN staff were "grandfathered" and given these titles.

If you need help with guidelines then just u2u me or another person with ATSNN under their name. It can be quite confusing sometimes

posted on Feb, 18 2005 @ 03:14 PM
link   

Originally posted by Nerdling
Well actually if you have 25 stories upgraded through voting then you earn "ATSNN" below your name. All previous ATSNN staff were "grandfathered" and given these titles.

If you need help with guidelines then just u2u me or another person with ATSNN under their name. It can be quite confusing sometimes

Are you a ATSNN Reporter, I seem to remember that you are(unless my memory is faulty then nvrmd) All I see under your name in red(and on worldwatchers) is Writer-Fighter, writer-scholar for ww

posted on Feb, 18 2005 @ 03:27 PM
link   
Yeah, where did your little titles go? I thought that you 'reporters' had worked hard to get them... I hope they didn't take them away from you. They were earned and you should be able to have that little 'acknowledgement' in your titles.

BTW, ATSNN has never been my primary source of articles and news. I may be in the small minority here, but I find that the heavy US population (no complaints about it, there's just a lot of you) skews the news.

As a non-US resident, I have different interests than many here, and find the constant accusations of 'bush-bashing' very tiresome. It seems the vast majority of members here, not all, are not interested in anything that challenges their preconceived notions/opinions. This, however, is a problem with all of ATS, and not limited to ATSNN.

Again, IMO.

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join