It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

President Trump Puts 'America First' On Hold To Save Chinese Jobs

page: 8
<< 5  6  7    9 >>

join
share:

posted on May, 14 2018 @ 11:01 PM
link   

originally posted by: scraedtosleep
a reply to: Vector99

From what I was hearing today is that the deal will include China lifting tariffs and restrictions on US agriculture in exchange for helping ZTE.

So in exchange for furthering globalism we get cheaper food.

Yay?

No.

posted on May, 15 2018 @ 02:11 AM
link   
a reply to: Sillyolme

" Real 'Sybil' Admits Multiple Personalities Were Fake "

Shirley Mason was the psychiatric patient whose life was portrayed in the 1973 book Sybil. The book and subsequent film caused an enormous spike in reported cases of multiple personality disorder. Mason later admitted she had faked her multiple personalities.

Shirley Mason, the REAL Sybil, grew up in the Midwest in a strict Seventh-day Adventist family. As a young woman she was emotionally unstable, and she decided to seek psychiatric help. Mason became unusually attached to her psychiatrist, Dr. Connie Wilbur, and she knew that Wilbur had a special interest in multiple personality disorder.

"Shirley feels after a short time, that she is not really getting the attention she needs from Dr. Wilbur," Nathan explains. "One day, she walks into Dr. Wilbur's office and she says, 'I'm not Shirley. I'm Peggy.' ... And she says this in a childish voice. ... Shirley started acting like she had a lot of people inside her.

I am not Sybil , I am Not a Believer in FAKE NEWS Silly.............

posted on May, 15 2018 @ 07:26 AM
link   
my gosh you guys don't get it at all... he's negotiating a trade rebalance with Xi.

If ZTE loses jobs then Xi will not be as easy to negotiate with however if those loses are mitigated then Xi will be more amenable to negotiation and Trump can get what he wants for the US.

That's really all there is to it.

When they banned ZTE it was a big enough blow here in China because the gov't here values social stability over everything else. History in this country means they get overthrown with enough instability. Also there was the knock on effect that Chinese were turning away from American brands once ZTE was banned because China turned up the toxic nationalism very quickly.

Trump is protecting American jobs in the short and long term.

posted on May, 15 2018 @ 07:45 AM
link   

originally posted by: toysforadults
what it comes down to is the hatred for Obama has lead to a total lack of common sense and decency they are fighting an evil enemy that has been made up by a media driven narrative

the only people who can't see through it are the %150 behind Obama or those who's vile hatred for Obama leads us to nonsensical positions like have been taken in this thread

There. I fixed it for you.

posted on May, 15 2018 @ 08:07 AM
link   
Off topic, but because it deserves explanation:

originally posted by: bigfatfurrytexan
Speaking of spyware....last week a coworker was in my office talking about CPAP machines to another coworker. Now im getting ads for said machines in my various apps and feeds. I say this to point out that even someone else having spyware could potentially lead to datamining occuring on you.

A) Co-worker chats up a CPAP machine to another co-worker in your office.
B) The other co-worker takes 5 minutes to search up CPAPs on the internet to check out what he was told.
C) Thanks to the Trump administration, your office Internet Service Provider can now monitor and sell your browsing history to companies for marketing purposes. Since it's an office network, everyone sharing the network get's tagged for interest in CPAPs and advertised to.

Trump Signs Measure to Let ISPs Sell Your Data Without Consent

President Trump signed legislation Monday killing privacy rules that would have required internet providers to get your explicit consent before they share or sell your web browsing history and other sensitive information.

The rules were approved in the final months of President Obama's administration but hadn't taken effect yet. Under the bill Trump signed Monday, they never will -- and the FCC isn't allowed to try and pass new rules

www.nbcnews.com...

edit on 15-5-2018 by soberbacchus because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 15 2018 @ 08:41 AM
link   

originally posted by: SpartanStoic
my gosh you guys don't get it at all... he's negotiating a trade rebalance with Xi.

If ZTE loses jobs then Xi will not be as easy to negotiate with however if those loses are mitigated then Xi will be more amenable to negotiation and Trump can get what he wants for the US.

The issue with ZTE is not trade or jobs, it’s national security, espionage and the illegal sale of sensitive US technology to regimes like Iran and North Korea.

National Security is not a bargaining chip to be traded away by this administration, it is non-negotiable.

ZTE literally said they would fire the executives that arranged the deals with Iran, instead they retained them and paid them huge bonuses and lied to the US government about it.

CIA, NSA and FBI Chiefs have said no one in government should ever own a ZTE phone and the military has banned it.
Congress has gone as far as to introduce bills to officially ban the phones from government.

Congressman Mike Conaway (R-Texas) introduced a bill last week called “The Defending U.S. Government Communications Act” which would prohibit the U.S. government from purchasing or leasing telecommunications equipment and/or services from Huawei and another Chinese firm ZTE.

www.usatoday.com...

And while the Alphabet Agencies have not publicly disclosed what they have found on ZTE phones, there are other examples of Chinese Cell phones where the public discovered compromises that we can examine:

In 2016, security firm Kryptowire said tens of thousands of mostly inexpensive Android phones, including the BLU R1 HD sold at Amazon from a Miami-based company that was selling rebranded Chinese phones, were secretly transmitting text messages, contact lists and call logs to servers in China.

Such phones came preloaded with firmware managed by a company named Shanghai Adups Technology Co.

At the time, a lawyer representing Adups told The New York Times, “This is a private company that made a mistake.”

Blu subsequently removed the offending software. Along the way, the Blu phones were removed, then eventually reinstated on Amazon.

www.usatoday.com...

And despite getting busted this Chinese company continues to include the spyware:

Call logs, text messages, contact lists, GPS location and command-and-control channel that can execute code on a user's phone as the principle system user.

www.cyberscoop.com...

posted on May, 15 2018 @ 09:04 AM
link   

When they banned ZTE it was a big enough blow here in China because the gov't here values social stability over everything else. History in this country means they get overthrown with enough instability. Also there was the knock on effect that Chinese were turning away from American brands once ZTE was banned because China turned up the toxic nationalism very quickly.

This is what I've come to know.

The left are screaming spies and for good reason, I don't trust China's spy apparatus.

But this is ultimately about TRADE.

Obviously ZTE was outed, seriously doubt they will continue with their crap, especially with a US President that actually gets things done.

posted on May, 15 2018 @ 09:56 AM
link   

originally posted by: Arnie123

Obviously ZTE was outed, seriously doubt they will continue with their crap, especially with a US President that actually gets things done.

Of course ZTE "will continue with their crap".
For the first time in modern history a US President has included National Security as a bargaining chip in trade negotiations.
ZTE was told what the consequences would be and the US demanded that they fire the Executives that set up the clandestine sales to Iran. ZTE lied and told the US they fired them and instead actually paid them huge bonuses.

A) Trump places tariffs on Chinese Steel imports.
B) China says it will place tariffs on US Agriculture and Manufacturing.

China Tariff Threat Prompts U.S. Farmers to Weigh Changes
Soybean association estimates $1.7 billion hit to value of crop
www.wsj.com...

China threatens 'Trump country' with retaliatory tariffs ahead of midterms
Tariffs on farming and manufacturing could hit battleground states such as Iowa, Illinois and Minnesota hard
www.theguardian.com...

C) Trump panics and offers up reversing National Security sanctions in hopes that China will be nice.

He is the worst deal maker ever.
Admittedly, his ability to lie without hesitation lets him spin well for PR purposes, but in reality he is behaving like China owns him.

He can't fully reverse all of his steel tariffs so soon, so China will allow him to save face with a bunch of technical "exemptions" and "quotas" that will fundamentally put them back in the US steel business.

Plus, they will get ZTE back in business and in US markets, despite them being an intelligence vacuum cleaner for the Chinese government.

In trade China will not hammer "Trump Country" with it's threatened tariffs.

Cuz, Trump first, National Security of the USA second, Allies that can't do business with Iran without getting sanctioned in the USA 3rd, etc. etc.

China? North Korea? You think they are afraid of Trump?? You think they are stupid?

They know Trump is an egomaniac. Easiest button to push in the world.
They know they can offer him Personal PR fluff wins in trade for REAL and significant gains at the USA's expense.
It's an incredible opportunity for them. A President that thinks about how he will be adored by the camera's and cares less about reality and long-term consequences than how it "appears" personally for HIM.

China has him cornered with their Tariffs targeted at Trump state industries.
He has nightmares that attendance at his rallies might drop if Chinese Tariffs geographically targeted at his base go into effect.
Trump will always choose to save himself first.

North Korea has him cornered because he has talked non-stop about how he has already brought peace to the peninsula. He will give them almost anything now lest he look like he failed.

In the PAST, it was a negotiation of "What is best for the USA, it's security and it's economy"?
NOW, it is "What can I announce that makes me look good"? "What do you need from the USA to give that to ME"?

To Asia, a Trump Presidency is a clearance sale at the candy store.

[

posted on May, 15 2018 @ 10:17 AM
link   

Ross said Monday that officials would consider scaling back restrictions on ZTE because of prodding from Trump, but he also offered a lengthy description of the company's past missteps and said the classified briefings he has received on the company have revealed startling facts.

Just saying. If you need classified briefings to discuss what a cell phone company is doing or what is in their phones? And you can't even publicly share "startling facts"?

"I'm kind of surprised, considering the decisions that were made previously on national security; it kind of surprises me, and I haven't figured it out," said Sen. Chuck Grassley, R-Iowa, a senior member of the Finance Committee.

www.chicagotribune.com...

lawmakers from both parties Monday warned that the action would undermine U.S. national security and erode the U.S. position at the outset of high-stakes trade talks with China.

TRUMP: This is also reflective of the larger trade deal we are negotiating with China and my personal relationship with President Xi."

"Personal Relationship"? "Personal" should have NOTHING to do with the negotiation. "Personal" is not a reason to trade US National Security.

Trump = Self-Obsessed. China knows exactly how to gleefully exploit that.

posted on May, 15 2018 @ 11:55 AM
link   

The left are screaming spies and for good reason, I don't trust China's spy apparatus.

But this is ultimately about TRADE.

Why does trade have to involve breach of security? National security should be off the table for trade talks. Find another avenue to boost trade, remove tariffs, and so on. Keep in mind it was Trump's actions that caused the tariff's to begin with, and China's reactions to it. So Trump causes a situation.. and then risks national security to make up for his previous decision? Why would he do this?

posted on May, 15 2018 @ 12:45 PM
link   

Why does trade have to involve breach of security? 

The goal of the sanctions are both punitive and to stop the behaviour. Perhaps they will find a way to plug the breach moving forward along with heavy(-ier) sanctions or fines. Can we wait to see what the deal actually looks like before hitting the panic button?

posted on May, 15 2018 @ 01:37 PM
link   
a reply to: soberbacchus

This is why transparency is a necessity, not an afterthought.

It has been brought up numerous times during the candidacy that Trump had ongoing business in China, that he is indebted to the Bank of China for hundreds of millions of dollars and the he houses one of those banks he borrows money from in his own tower in NY, collecting millions in rent.

I believe it was a Spiegel exposé originally, exposing multiple hundreds of millions Trump currently owes to German banks as well, on top of the Chinese banks. Here is a link from this year, talking about some of it, in our own Forbes magazine.

Trump's Biggest Potential Conflict Of Interest Is Hiding In Plain Sight

I think it's ridiculous that he really thought he would get away with not being transparent, not releasing tax returns as all other presidents have, not divesting his business interests and Americans were just going to be fine with that... it's infantile to think so.

And those investments and debt are starting to influence his decision making and our American policies. Time for the lights to come on!

posted on May, 15 2018 @ 06:21 PM
link   

Please note where I live, I'm as anti-CCP as possible while living under it's governance. And yes I know about what ZTE, Oppo, Vivo, Huawei and Xiaomi are up to, it's very obvious because many smart phone security people have published articles and white papers on it. I don't use Android due to this sort of stuff.

Trump is backpedaling a bit to get a stable negotiating platform. We know from what he's done already that he loves to have some leverage, ZTE may have been too much leverage so he's altering it to give Xi some thing first.

I still feel those phones should all be banned from the US in totality but the US Gov't does capture everything on the wire anyway.

posted on May, 15 2018 @ 07:30 PM
link   
a reply to: Zanti Misfit

So you cannot refute what the guys sys so you choose to slander him?
Mature.

posted on May, 16 2018 @ 03:45 AM
link   

originally posted by: soberbacchus

Did you just aite the Trump dossier as evidence when the dossier has been proven to be a hoax a dozen times over?

Believe what you choose about the Dossier, but Trump just announced he was going to reverse his own Commerce Secretaries sanctions against ZTE for selling Technology to NK and Iran and lying to US investigators about it (as recently as a month ago).

Can you offer an explanation?

China first?
Make China great again?
Illegally selling American sensitive technology to NK and Iran all good?
Saving Chinese jobs more important than illegal sales of American Technology to Iran and NK?

I think american companies make parts for them?

My friend just showed me his new phone, the chinese comp, 1/4 the price of an iphone x.

Looks nice. the size of a 6s.

Ya got something to hide? don't buy them.

posted on May, 16 2018 @ 03:59 AM
link   

originally posted by: Arnie123

Of course ZTE "will continue with their crap".
For the first time in modern history a US President has included National Security as a bargaining chip in trade negotiations.
ZTE was told what the consequences would be and the US demanded that they fire the Executives that set up the clandestine sales to Iran. ZTE lied and told the US they fired them and instead actually paid them huge bonuses.

A) Trump places tariffs on Chinese Steel imports.
B) China says it will place tariffs on US Agriculture and Manufacturing.

China Tariff Threat Prompts U.S. Farmers to Weigh Changes
Soybean association estimates $1.7 billion hit to value of crop
www.wsj.com...

Tariffs on farming and manufacturing could hit battleground states such as Iowa, Illinois and Minnesota hard
www.theguardian.com...

C) Trump panics and offers up reversing National Security sanctions in hopes that China will be nice.

Admittedly, his ability to lie without hesitation lets him spin well for PR purposes, but in reality he is behaving like China owns him.

He can't fully reverse all of his steel tariffs so soon, so China will allow him to save face with a bunch of technical "exemptions" and "quotas" that will fundamentally put them back in the US steel business.

Plus, they will get ZTE back in business and in US markets, despite them being an intelligence vacuum cleaner for the Chinese government.

In trade China will not hammer "Trump Country" with it's threatened tariffs.

Cuz, Trump first, National Security of the USA second, Allies that can't do business with Iran without getting sanctioned in the USA 3rd, etc. etc.

China? North Korea? You think they are afraid of Trump?? You think they are stupid?

They know Trump is an egomaniac. Easiest button to push in the world.
They know they can offer him Personal PR fluff wins in trade for REAL and significant gains at the USA's expense.
It's an incredible opportunity for them. A President that thinks about how he will be adored by the camera's and cares less about reality and long-term consequences than how it "appears" personally for HIM.

China has him cornered with their Tariffs targeted at Trump state industries.
He has nightmares that attendance at his rallies might drop if Chinese Tariffs geographically targeted at his base go into effect.
Trump will always choose to save himself first.

North Korea has him cornered because he has talked non-stop about how he has already brought peace to the peninsula. He will give them almost anything now lest he look like he failed.

In the PAST, it was a negotiation of "What is best for the USA, it's security and it's economy"?
NOW, it is "What can I announce that makes me look good"? "What do you need from the USA to give that to ME"?

To Asia, a Trump Presidency is a clearance sale at the candy store.

[

Good post, and spot on...

posted on May, 16 2018 @ 10:40 AM
link   
ART OF THE DEAL. You guys really do need to read it. Then you can understand trump and not run around following retarded media narratives that don't stand up to any sort of scrutiny. I love how you guys never seem to consider that the appearance of chaos is orchestrated. Or that things are done for show.

>Trump hires wilbur ross as commerce secretary.
>The same wilbur ross that goes way back to atlantic city in 90's, w/trump.
>Ross imposes sanctions on a chinese company during trade negotiations.
>As trade negotiations progress, trump says he's helping to get them lifted.
>This is seen as a concession, but really trump has ceded no ground.
>He's exactly where he was when negotiations started.
>Meanwhile the media narrative is "wilbur ross and trump are butting heads" or "trump is owned by china" Both of those narratives help trump. As he says in AOTD, 'It is a good thing when the opponent underestimates your abilities.'
>The real question we should be asking, is what is trump getting in return? Probably won't know until the dust settles.

edit on 16-5-2018 by Dfairlite because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 16 2018 @ 10:47 AM
link   
a reply to: hopenotfeariswhatweneed

Well, other than it being based on a completely false premise, which invalidates the whole post.

He's proved time and again that he's a great deal maker. See his empire. See NK. See Japan. See the concessions so far from the chinese (rice and beef). See the concessions from Canada. Now tell me what the US has given up in return for those concessions?

posted on May, 16 2018 @ 11:27 AM
link   

originally posted by: burgerbuddy

Did you just aite the Trump dossier as evidence when the dossier has been proven to be a hoax a dozen times over?

Believe what you choose about the Dossier, but Trump just announced he was going to reverse his own Commerce Secretaries sanctions against ZTE for selling Technology to NK and Iran and lying to US investigators about it (as recently as a month ago).

Can you offer an explanation?

China first?
Make China great again?
Illegally selling American sensitive technology to NK and Iran all good?
Saving Chinese jobs more important than illegal sales of American Technology to Iran and NK?

My friend just showed me his new phone, the chinese comp, 1/4 the price of an iphone x.

Looks nice. the size of a 6s.

Ya got something to hide? don't buy them.

First concern would be identity theft.
Wouldn't use the phone for any transactions, online banking etc.
Whilst the Chinese government isn't necessarily interested in ID theft, the mass of people they employ at "PLA Unit 61398" no doubt have side gigs on the dark web and the Chinese gov turns a blind eye as long as they do their job.
Where does your friend work? China (Since it is a pseudo-socialist Gov) goes after both US Companies and the US Government equally in their intelligence operations. Since the Chinese Gov. controls their economy, US Companies are an equal target. Economic warfare.

Your friend is welcome to enjoy the discounted Chinese phone, but it is well known that many, if not most, come with firmware code that forwards GPS Location, Text Messages, Call logs and contact lists to servers in China. The same firmware can execute code on the phone as the Principle System User. Otherwise, Mic and Camera can be turned off and on.

They pump all data through servers for search and ML/AI purposes. The CIA Director said China's data collection is a "Hoover Vacuum". Otherwise they collect EVERYTHING in case they need it later. China doesn't have to worry about legal or public blowback like the NSA does.

If your friend is OK with it. Good for him/her.

posted on May, 16 2018 @ 11:38 AM
link   

originally posted by: Dfairlite

>Ross imposes sanctions on a chinese company during trade negotiations.
>As trade negotiations progress, trump says he's helping to get them lifted.
>This is seen as a concession, but really trump has ceded no ground.
>He's exactly where he was when negotiations started.

??????

Tariffs on farming and manufacturing could hit battleground states such as Iowa, Illinois and Minnesota hard but experts predict a deal

www.theguardian.com...

China’s retaliatory tariffs will hit Trump country hard
www.washingtonpost.com...

China Tariffs Threaten Key States in Trump Country
www.bloomberg.com...

AND the controversy and investigation into ZTE has been going on for years.
This wasn't a ploy by Ross, it was the result of ZTE's actions over the past decade and failure to reconcile them.

In December 2010, ZTE sold systems for eavesdropping on phone and Internet communications to the government-controlled Telecommunication Company of Iran. This system may help Iran monitor and track political dissidents.

Security

At least one ZTE mobile phone (sold as the ZTE Score in the United States by Cricket and MetroPCS) can be remotely accessed by anyone with an easily obtained password.

ZTE, as well as Huawei, have faced criticism by the United States' government, due to allegations that the companies have ties to the Chinese government that could enable surveillance through its handsets and infrastructure equipment.

In 2011, the House Permanent Select Committee on Intelligence issued a report recommending that the government be prohibited from purchasing equipment from the firms, citing them as possible threats to national security

en.wikipedia.org...

Trump is China's pet.

top topics

<< 5  6  7    9 >>

join