It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Proposal to split California into 3 states has enough signatures to qualify for November ballot

page: 4
<< 1  2  3    5 >>

join
share:

posted on May, 14 2018 @ 04:16 PM
link   
a reply to: UKTruth

Got ya

I didn't really investigate, I assumed the poll/petition just sparked another level of 'official' referendum.
Silly example I know, but like if Cornwall County Council did a citizen poll and a majority wanted independence, no matter how crazy, but it would force that referendum for sure with the right majority.
That is what I support passionately, the wishes of the people and the community.
Every time.

posted on May, 14 2018 @ 04:22 PM
link   

originally posted by: luthier

originally posted by: bluesjr

a reply to: NorthernLites

This 3-state proposal is the lefts attempt to fight off the two proposals that would give conservatives a vote that counts (The State of Jefferson and The New California Initiative). Nobody heard of this plan until those other two initiatives gained momentum. It has been developed to cause confusion.

Conservatives in California want to break away from the big city liberal B.S., not to have a Northern California that includes San Francisco.

Again Tim Draper is in no way a leftist. Not even close.

ok, thanks for the information. I don't know his background. Now I think he is misguided. He should join the New California team if he truly wants to see conservative votes counting in California. His plan seems to do nothing other than giving the left more senators as the OP pointed out.

It's time to move on from thinking one party is better than the other.

Check again as I didn't mention a party. However, us independents in California are getting tired of one party control.

posted on May, 14 2018 @ 04:23 PM
link   

originally posted by: CornishCeltGuy
a reply to: UKTruth

Got ya

I didn't really investigate, I assumed the poll/petition just sparked another level of 'official' referendum.
Silly example I know, but like if Cornwall County Council did a citizen poll and a majority wanted independence, no matter how crazy, but it would force that referendum for sure with the right majority.
That is what I support passionately, the wishes of the people and the community.
Every time.

I think you must also consider the will of the people across the UK. Cornwall does not belong to the people who live there just as California does not belong to the people who live there.

posted on May, 14 2018 @ 04:39 PM
link   
a reply to: bluesjr

So you may as well make up voting lines to benefit your own viewpoint?

posted on May, 14 2018 @ 04:54 PM
link   

No, I'm for fairness. We don't have that now, we have big cities and their welfare dependents deciding how all of California's electoral votes get assigned.

Something like a California electoral college would work, where each county gets to decide who their allotment of electoral votes go to.

posted on May, 14 2018 @ 05:18 PM
link   

No, I'm for fairness. We don't have that now, we have big cities and their welfare dependents deciding how all of California's electoral votes get assigned.

Something like a California electoral college would work, where each county gets to decide who their allotment of electoral votes go to.

The rural parts of California have plenty of welfare per capita.

They also have illegals propping their economy.

And those cities for the most part make a profit after paying for welfare. Fresno doesn't do well. And they are pretty independent.

posted on May, 14 2018 @ 06:30 PM
link   
If people are not happy with being in the United States, there are thousands of planes, trains and automobiles that leave the country every day. And unless you sneak over the border, all you need is a passport.

See ya, wouldn't wanta be ya!

posted on May, 14 2018 @ 06:44 PM
link   

originally posted by: DISRAELI
But what would be the impact on the Electoral College? Have they thought this through?

It would create 4 more EVs, 2 each for the new States. The 435 for Representatives does not change, so the 53 EV's that California has would be split between the three based on population. That could possibly result in losing 1 or 2 to Texas or Florida depending on how the numbers fell out.

Instead of 538 total EVs we'd have 542, meaning 272 EVs to win the Presidency.

posted on May, 14 2018 @ 08:10 PM
link   
I know there is A LOT of conservative support on the central & eastern side of the state. I'd wager a guess that if you split Cali down the middle of the state, everything on the East would be considerably more conservative than liberal and there is a lot of resources in that area from farming to parks and lots that isn't "general knowledge".

It would be nice if the money that is paid in taxes by the people in the central and eastern part of the state would stay there. If they could come up with some kind of fair distribution of tax dollars, where each county gets a set % of tax collected, then I think this issue could be avoided. there is no point in paying taxes living in the high sierra's and central valley when all the money goes to the liberal $hit hole cities where it is used to pay for services for illegals.

posted on May, 14 2018 @ 08:21 PM
link   
I am part of the east/west California movement to split the state in two.

www.cbsnews.com...

posted on May, 14 2018 @ 08:32 PM
link   
a reply to: ANNED

I still support the first plan to split California into 2 parts. An earthquake splits the state and half of it falls off into the ocean. You don't hear about this much anymore. Time for a fresh look at how we can make it happen.

posted on May, 14 2018 @ 09:19 PM
link   

a reply to: luthier

Wow, it's like if The City of London, that cess pit nest of snakes also known as 'the square mile' became an independent city state we would be crippled economically. Like it or not, we absolutely depend on the traders as an nation economy.

Very few people actually live in the City - they commute in from the various ring zones of Greater London, so taxes would just switch to income and property based. Imagine if London had property taxes based on the Californian system - set at some fraction of the selling price (0.0005%), they would have oodles of money.

posted on May, 14 2018 @ 10:18 PM
link   

Lol it would be funny if the state had to be 100% out of debt so the slate is clean before they could split. I bet that would change a bunch of people’s tone.

posted on May, 14 2018 @ 10:40 PM
link   
Sounds like a great idea ... sure "maybe" a windfall for liberals in the short term (not that there is anything wrong with liberals) ... but it wont be long before the needs of one new Californian state is at odds with another and the power base will be split. Deconsolidation of power is always a good thing.

posted on May, 14 2018 @ 10:41 PM
link   
What a waste of time .
They can vote all they like
Inconsequential.

posted on May, 14 2018 @ 10:50 PM
link   
a reply to: Gothmog

It will be great for Draper when he runs for office...

posted on May, 14 2018 @ 10:53 PM
link   

originally posted by: stormcell

Wow, it's like if The City of London, that cess pit nest of snakes also known as 'the square mile' became an independent city state we would be crippled economically. Like it or not, we absolutely depend on the traders as an nation economy.

Very few people actually live in the City - they commute in from the various ring zones of Greater London, so taxes would just switch to income and property based. Imagine if London had property taxes based on the Californian system - set at some fraction of the selling price (0.0005%), they would have oodles of money.

London has 9.7 million living in the city limits. What are you talking about.

posted on May, 15 2018 @ 12:49 AM
link   
It should be really telling -- and deeply embarrassing -- to note how many in this thread who typically are the loudest yellers in threads boasting about the glory of American "freedom" & how it's so much better than anywhere else, wish to deny citizens of any state the right to the freedom to decide to split the state (or even secede from the country)

If that's not the epitome of "You will only be as free to choose things as I say" then I don't know what is. The Scots have more freedom to choose their path to betterment, and that should click as thoroughly shameful for those boasting about American freedom. Our freedom isn't worth jack s# with that attitude.

posted on May, 15 2018 @ 03:32 AM
link   

If liberals ran it,otherwise it would florish,the bay area is more of a stress on economy then the agriculture,bay area would collapse ,eventually everyone will be reaching in each others pockets,Calif is a big diverse state and as far as I'm concerned if they had to give Calif an enema it would be done in Berkley

posted on May, 15 2018 @ 09:54 AM
link   

originally posted by: Oldtimer2

If liberals ran it,otherwise it would florish,the bay area is more of a stress on economy then the agriculture,bay area would collapse ,eventually everyone will be reaching in each others pockets,Calif is a big diverse state and as far as I'm concerned if they had to give Calif an enema it would be done in Berkley

Mane you could provide some proof of that absurd claim.

The bay area is literally a provider. Do you have any idea how much the tech companies pay into the budget in state and local taxes.

Why did Fresno suck so bad when it was ran by republicans.

These issues are far more complex than stupid partisan claims. They have to do with industry and salary per capita which is how taxes are collected.

What is the bay area unemployment rate?

How about humbolt county?

Are you including all the illegals working on the farms in the central valley?

new topics

top topics

<< 1  2  3    5 >>

join