It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Character Story for D&D - Imperion

page: 1

join
share:

posted on May, 14 2018 @ 11:45 AM
link   
I wrote this for a character I was playing in a D&D Campaign. Let me know what you think. This is my first post in this forum. I have a crazy imagination, but I'm not good writing what I'm thinking. So be easy on me.

They return home again with another sack of coins. Peering through the crack in the door with enough light from the lit candle, they dump the coins on the table. This is a nightly occurrence. Sometimes its coin, a sword, jewelry, and even gems. This has been going on as long as I remember. We never had a need for anything. We always had food on the table, clothes, and shoes on our feet. My parents were loving people but seem to keep to their selves. My father taught me about the blade a few years back. They didn’t let me get out much, so everything I knew, I learned from them. At times they would be gone for hours, up to nearly a full day.

At the age of 16, I was lying in bed, when I heard the door open. My mother came in and checked on me, I pretended to be fast asleep. This time there was a large man with them. Through the crack he looked like a very rough individual. I couldn’t tell what the conversation was about, but there was some arguing. Next thing I see is blood squirting from the large man’s neck. I see my mother coming toward my room and opens my door and tells me to get up and gather my clothes and put some shoes on. She then takes my hand and is pulling me through the hall where the man lay bloodied. “Hold on” my father exclaimed. He goes to the locked chest, opens it out comes a sword, and a backpack. He kneels down and says, “I’m sorry for not always being there for you, take this and go with your mom, I will find you in due time. May Heironeous be with you always.” “Come”, mother says. “We must leave now.” I grab the sword and pack and follow my mother to the stables. She readies the horse, and she mounts it and pulls me atop. I’ve never been on a horse going this fast before. It doesn’t take long for me to lose track of where we are. We come to a small shack just outside of the city. She hops off and pulls me down. This place is a rundown shack compared to the house we lived in. Just as we reach the door, the door swings open and we walk straight in and by the old gray bearded man that opened it. “It happened and I need you to get him out of here” she said. “Take him as far away as possible, don’t let them get to him. Make sure he has a different life.”

Traveling for days, through forests, mountains, across plains, the armor that I was told I must wear, (which was somewhat large on me) was beginning to wear on my frail skin. Only to stop to rest the horses now and again, we pressed on. We had to be hundreds of miles away. Somehow not overcome with hunger, my only thought came to the tears on the face of my mother in which quite possibly the last time I would look upon her. “We rest here.” The man exclaimed. I dismount and begin unpacking my gear to finally rest. With an outstretched hand, “You can call me Dresden.” Finally I could put a name with man that has led me miles away from anything I ever knew. This whole time, somehow deep down, I felt I could trust him. We get unpacked, and I was told that the area is safe for a campfire, so I begin to gather wood. I manage to get the fire started with the flint and steel that I had packed from home. “You have first watch,” he said. “Keep your sword close.” Hearing those words did not give me a feeling of security. I’ve never really been off the beaten path, especially in a dense forest. “Heironeous guide me.” Those words seem to comfort me. It was hard to stay awake with the calming crackling of the fire, yet alarming still to the sounds in the dead of night to which I’ve never heard before. Time passed by quickly. “Get some rest now, I’ll take it from here.” My hand was cramped from the clinching tight on my sword for hours. Finally removing my armor it doesn’t take long for me to fall fast asleep.

The familiar sound of birds chirping wakes me up. However I wake up alone. I had a calming feeling still that all was going as planned. I remembered as of the mornings the sun was in our faces, so I gathered my gear, smothered the remaining fire, and traveled towards the sun. It wasn’t long before I catch up to Dresden. “Found me quicker than I expected.” He said.

We had slowed our pace considerably. I felt comfortable that we were no longer in harm’s way. We finally started exchanging small talk. Apparently he has known my parents a long time, and had owed them a favor, but would not go into much detail. Hours passed as we traveled. We come across a small cottage in a clearing in the dense forest. I could hear the gentle flowing of a creek nearby. “Stay here.” He said. He slowly walks up to the door, eases the door open, and proceeds inside. He came back to the door a few seconds later and motions me to come. “Welcome to your new home for now.” I walk in and it’s obvious to tell that it’s been a really long time since anyone has been here. It appears as if someone packed completely and left. We begin making place livable again. “Imperion, I want you to understand. I’m not giving you orders, but when I tell you to do something, it is for your own good and knowledge, so please understand this.” Days pass as I’m chopping wood, gathering water for the well, building furniture. “Are you sore?” he said. I nod. “Good, grab your sword, now for real lessons.”

Two winters pass. I’ve grown in the blade and shortbow as well as knowledge of the land. My body now fills the void that was once in the armor. I return home from the hunt, only to find a note and a backpack on the table. –I left you some things to start you out in life. I feel like I’ve repaid my debt to your parents. I wish you best of luck in your adventures. There is a wand in the pack that I’ve not had much need for, and frankly, I was never fond of strange sorcery. As you may notice the inscription on the side of it reads “GR Lightning Within”. I don’t really know what that means, perhaps it’s the owners initials. May Heironeous be with you always. Dresden
Now the decision of going back to try to find out the fate of my parents, or make a name for myself in this world. Or perhaps both. I guess this is where my real journey begins……

posted on May, 14 2018 @ 12:45 PM
link   
Well, it as interesting enough for me to read it through! About the only thing that seemed off was removing your armor to sleep in the wilderness (for which a good DM would make you pay dearly)

Seems like a good start for a D&D character or the beginning of a short story. Though in the latter case you might want to be more descriptive about surroundings so the reader can better visualize what you are imagining.

If it were my story, the next chapter may well start with lightning bouncing around the inside of my cottage as I try to dodge it; maybe even singe off my hair. Then again, I’m partial to magic users (well, clerics, so god granted poweres), and have never really cared for fighters who “don’t get” magic. Though I'm happy to stand behind them in a battle! Enjoyed it, good luck!
edit on 14/5/2018 by Lab4Us because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 14 2018 @ 02:04 PM
link   
a reply to: Lab4Us

www.d20srd.org...

I'm not sure what armor it is. But you can be fatigued sleeping in it.

Sleeping in Armor

A character who sleeps in medium or heavy armor is automatically fatigued the next day. He or she takes a -2 penalty on Strength and Dexterity and can’t charge or run. Sleeping in light armor does not cause fatigue.

posted on May, 14 2018 @ 02:38 PM
link   

originally posted by: grey580
a reply to: Lab4Us

www.d20srd.org...

I'm not sure what armor it is. But you can be fatigued sleeping in it.

Sleeping in Armor

A character who sleeps in medium or heavy armor is automatically fatigued the next day. He or she takes a -2 penalty on Strength and Dexterity and can’t charge or run. Sleeping in light armor does not cause fatigue.

Yep, but would rather be fatigued than taking blows or arrows while waking from sleep while wearing none. And his horse should be able to run just fine should he need to escape in a hurry. I presumed leather medium since it was donned so quickly and came with a sword.

new topics

top topics

join