It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Metal Detecting and Exploring NJ

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 7 2019 @ 05:18 PM
link   
a reply to: Trueman

If you have a Garrett pinpointer, you can actually use calking around the perimeter of the battery compartment to make it watertight, but the you have to 'uncalk' it to change the batteries. (I did that a couple times …. )

But even better is to put the whole unit within vacuum-sealed freezer bags, using a vacuum sealer to suck the air out, and then seal the bag with heat down the previously-open edge. I use 2 bags (2 layers), in cause a hole is pierced in the outer bag, because I am obsessive, and doing it like that makes it a bit stiff to hit the button, and still you must cut it out of the bags to change the batteries, but it works for a low-budget guy like myself, even completely underwater !!!

I also have a bobber attached to my pinpointer on a string, because often I get excited enough to just drop it in muddy water haha

edit on 7-1-2019 by Fowlerstoad because: better spelling the second time !

posted on Jan, 8 2019 @ 01:59 AM
link   

originally posted by: Fowlerstoad
a reply to: Trueman

If you have a Garrett pinpointer, you can actually use calking around the perimeter of the battery compartment to make it watertight, but the you have to 'uncalk' it to change the batteries. (I did that a couple times …. )

But even better is to put the whole unit within vacuum-sealed freezer bags, using a vacuum sealer to suck the air out, and then seal the bag with heat down the previously-open edge. I use 2 bags (2 layers), in cause a hole is pierced in the outer bag, because I am obsessive, and doing it like that makes it a bit stiff to hit the button, and still you must cut it out of the bags to change the batteries, but it works for a low-budget guy like myself, even completely underwater !!!

I also have a bobber attached to my pinpointer on a string, because often I get excited enough to just drop it in muddy water haha

I have a mate who also uses the following as a solution :

Zippable leakproof bags.

www.interplas.com...

Personally I preferred to invest in a watertight pointer and don't regret it as I can plunge it into streams with no issues.

However as I am also a bit of a freak when it comes to this type of equipment, I also from time to time add a bit of heated wax around the parts that are jointed and screwed together (even if they have a safety joint) and rub the heated wax well into any cracks between the orange and black parts.

I'm in love with my XP MI-6 (submersible up to 20 feet) which also has a light included : www.amazon.com...

Lags

posted on Jan, 8 2019 @ 10:00 AM
link   
a reply to: Lagomorphe

Holy FREAK! Nice device ... and thanks, because now I have the dreaded 'pinpointer envy' hahah

posted on Jan, 9 2019 @ 03:03 AM
link   

Holy FREAK! Nice device ... and thanks, because now I have the dreaded 'pinpointer envy' hahah

Me love my French pinpointer long time.

Certainly saves a ton of time when you are digging up a large clump of soggy earth and don't want to pass fistfulls of the stuff over the head of your detector.

posted on Jan, 9 2019 @ 05:06 AM
link   

originally posted by: Lagomorphe

Me love my French pinpointer long time.

Certainly saves a ton of time when you are digging up a large clump of soggy earth and don't want to pass fistfulls of the stuff over the head of your detector.

Good for coins and tiny objects too.

top topics

<< 1   >>

join