It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Scientist increases anti-matter capture 50 fold!

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Feb, 22 2005 @ 06:09 AM
link   
I have a question.

Could you mix anti-hydrogen with regular oxygen atoms? A sort of Half-breed mixing of matter and regular anti-matter. Or does antimatter annihilate itself when in contact with any form of regular matter other than its opposite?

Because if it was stable with any regular matter other than its opposite, you could probably create some really cool hybrids. They would probably have to be kept in controlled environments but it would be really interesting.

I believe one problem with anti-hydrogen is if you brought it into contact with any metal in the palladium family like platinum, there would be a reaction of annihilation because palladium metals store hydrogen at about 900 times their own volume. But I wonder if the palladium family could store anti-hydrogen like its regular matter twin? As long as the palladium was purified of course. I wonder if that could be a low tech way to store it as opposed to magnetic vessels.

posted on Feb, 22 2005 @ 06:30 AM
link   
I don't believe you could, Capt. Antimatter is made from anti-electrons, anti-protons etc, so the reaction, or annihilation is at a subatomic level. I dont think it matters what kind of 'anti-atoms' the particles are arranged in.

posted on Feb, 22 2005 @ 10:57 AM
link   
It's Technically Anti-hydrogen, on the atomic chart, but it IS totally opposite to what we are made of. everything that is "made" of matter in the universe will react Catastrophically with any form of antimatter. Theroretically, you can have any type of element in its antimatter form, anti-oxygen, it would look the same, but have a negative charge on everything that is supposed to have a positive charge in its matter form. Since opposite charges attract, no matter what the material, which is what everthing is on the atomic scale. So anti-hydrogen willl annihilate anthing made of matter, regardless of what element it is made of.

new topics

<< 1   >>

join