It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

evolution, the facts that inform the theory'?

page: 9
<< 6  7  8    10  11  12 >>

join
share:

posted on May, 14 2018 @ 03:35 PM
link   
a reply to: Noinden

I enjoy reading your posts, I'm more into the fossil record, truly it fascinates me and I love hunting them. Hundreds of millions of years of history in your hands preserved in sedimentary rock.
...and even though I don't believe in any unverifiable creator god, I happily concede that if one did exist then all science does is show how he/she/it pulled it off. Slowly, and not in seven days.
Sedimentary rock, to me, supports evolution theory more than anything else to be honest...maybe because I can see it and touch it.

edit on 14-5-2018 by CornishCeltGuy because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 14 2018 @ 03:46 PM
link   
a reply to: CornishCeltGuy

Well Fossils can tell us a lot. However one of my degrees is Bioinformatics, so I am intimately familiar with the use of molecular clocks, and DNA analysis to show and infer a lot of things. Mind you as I work as a scientist (Pharmaceutical Chemist) in my day job, I'm used to looking at that stuff. Fossils are something you can physically handle (or a cast there of) and see things.

DNA shows even more, because it gnerally agrees with the fossil record. But it also shows us things like the Denisovians, where we have one or two bone fragments, but from the DNA sequence know that there was yet another species we breed with.

posted on May, 14 2018 @ 03:59 PM
link   
a reply to: Noinden

I envy your work to be honest, I'm BSc but never used it, I love fossils though in a romanticised way, actually holding the rock form of some critter hundreds of millions of years old...oh my! lol
I have an Ammonite paper weight I found myself and am looking at right now next to my laptop, probably got a few £'s worth in my collection, but the beauty of what they represent is worth way more than money to me.

EDIT
I have some intricate and delicate coral fossils, they are beautiful. But how anyone can think that the lithification process didn't take a really long time is just delusion in my opinion.

edit on 14-5-2018 by CornishCeltGuy because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 14 2018 @ 11:00 PM
link   

originally posted by: Akragon
a reply to: Raggedyman

Its not the Crux of your issues... understanding is

The video i offered on the first page shows a only small time line of bacteria... over many generations said bacteria would become a completely different bacteria

This is evident in studies about MSRA and VRE.... simple microbes that we could eliminate, and still can in most cases

Except we've pumped so many antibiotics into these "bugs" they have become a completely different species... and they kill people regularly... and the regular meds that kill them have no effect

They happen to be the same gut bacteria that is inside all of us right now...

So... just quit your nonsense

Head back to the religion forum where you, at the very least...

understand something

I am sorry ak but your video is stupid and a lie, talking to you is pointless because you don't understand

The bacteria de -evolved, it wasn't evolution, no new information was added to the bacteria
If your brain can't comprehend that......

posted on May, 14 2018 @ 11:01 PM
link   

The bacteria de -evolved

There is no such word. Not one that means anything.

posted on May, 14 2018 @ 11:05 PM
link   

talking to you is pointless because you don't understand

Strange...

i feel the same way about you

Thing is though, you don't make any sense

You just make up your own reasoning for everything, and its always nonsense

Basically you're a punch line... and so are you threads

Only one worse then you is the flat earther... lol

But you're gaining on him every day

posted on May, 14 2018 @ 11:44 PM
link   

originally posted by: Noinden

You do not grok to well Raggy. I don't have students. I TAUGHT in the past, and was good at it, but I loved getting involved in the science, thus I went to industry.

But back to your lack of understanding. Parkinsons cause is not known yet, but it is probably both genetic and environmental. No where have I said a mutation will cause evolution. What I've said is a mutation that leads to an advantage (be that lactose tolerance, antibiotic resistance, or yes in the case of hemoglobin alterations, a resistance to a disease) is going to be more likely to be passed on.

You don't understand evolution. Period. Just because you see something does not make it so. We've established you are not particularly qualified to be a judge of this. BE it because you are willfully ignorant, or dishonestly ignorant.

Parkinson's was a metaphor, I guess that is a big word you don't understand

As for you personally, whatever you are or do, I don't really want to know, not interested

Now clearly for you noindie, I don't care about all your superflous drama
Just the answer to the op, in fact clearly you can't so skip it
And no, not interested in the alterations, interested in new information

As for you, you opinion is irrelevant in the scheme of science, a nobody

posted on May, 15 2018 @ 01:11 AM
link   

originally posted by: CornishCeltGuy
a reply to: ClovenSky
Oh yep, I forgot, miracles stopped a couple of thousand years ago.

Have you reflected on life itself​—its variety, its complexity, and its amazing design?
Archaeologists draw conclusions about earlier civilizations, often from items that have lain buried for thousands of years. Imagine, for example, that an archaeologist has unearthed dozens of carefully cut stone blocks of precisely the same size neatly aligned on top of one another. They are also set out in a distinct geometric pattern that does not occur naturally. What would the archaeologist conclude? Would he attribute his find to coincidence? Most likely not. Rather, he would interpret it as evidence of past human activities, and that would be a reasonable conclusion.

To be consistent, should we not apply the same reasoning to the design manifest in the natural world? Many people have taken that view, including respected scientists.

Blind Chance or Purposeful Design?

Years ago, British mathematician, physicist, and astronomer Sir James Jeans wrote that in the light of advancing scientific knowledge, “the universe begins to look more like a great thought than like a great machine.” He also stated that “the universe appears to have been designed by a pure mathematician” and that it provides “evidence of a designing or controlling power that has something in common with our own individual minds.”

Other scientists have arrived at a similar conclusion since Jeans penned those words. “The overall organization of the universe has suggested to many a modern astronomer an element of design,” wrote physicist Paul Davies. One of the most famous physicists and mathematicians of all time, Albert Einstein, wrote: “The fact that [the natural world] is comprehensible is a miracle.” In the eyes of many, that miracle includes life itself, from its fundamental building blocks to the amazing human brain.

DNA and the Human Brain

Source: Is Belief in God Reasonable? Awake!—2010

Axon guidance in the human brain
Introduction to Protein Synthesis (from DNA to RNA to protein)

posted on May, 15 2018 @ 01:32 AM
link   
a reply to: Phage

Well here is a thought, think about what I am implying
Use a little common sense and....oh that's right, the metaphor thing
Guess you don't understand

Can't help you, sorry

posted on May, 15 2018 @ 01:40 AM
link   

Yeah.
I often have trouble understanding word salad.

posted on May, 15 2018 @ 01:54 AM
link   

originally posted by: Phage

Yeah.
I often have trouble understanding word salad.

Imagine my issues when i ask a simple question in an op and all these trolls come in with anything but an answer

I don't think word salad is your biggest issue
Common sense is a valuable commodity, I can't help you with that either

Facts that inform the theory, care to give it a go

I am thinking another thread along this line
Mutations that add genetic information, are there any?
What do you think, cool or what?

I will "toss" a few words and metaphors around just to listen to you complain
edit on 15-5-2018 by Raggedyman because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 15 2018 @ 02:00 AM
link   

Mutations that add genetic information, are there any? What do you think, cool or what?

If you want to further display your ignorance.
Go for it.

posted on May, 15 2018 @ 02:17 AM
link   

originally posted by: Phage

Mutations that add genetic information, are there any? What do you think, cool or what?

If you want to further display your ignorance.
Go for it.

Your amazing, I ask a question because I am ignorant, you are so right, well done you, I get an answer and I am not ignorant

isn't that why we ask questions

I know, you are using ignorant as a metaphor, arnt you?
But it can't be a metaphor because it's true

Are you trying to be clever by stating the obvious,
That's not clever, that's just dumb

I think you are ignorant, I don't think you know any
Facts that inform the theory
And you are just trolling the thread with silly comments to hide the question about

Facts that inform the theory
edit on 15-5-2018 by Raggedyman because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 15 2018 @ 05:08 AM
link   
Never too late too learn is it?

I understand some basic facts about 'so-called' Evolution - And they make sense.

But what I don't unerstand is WHY? - I would not for a moment say i believe in Creationism - But at least there, unplausable as it may be - there is an anwer to why.

Now scientific geniuses who always come up with answers to cause and effect - Please enlighten me - Why does biological
life:

1. Occur in a universe that as far as is known is completely inorganic?

2. Why does it evolve - And then evolve into extremely diverse patterns of life?

3. Why does it eventually come up with a being, Man, that can reflect upon itself and the exsistent patterns of life?

No the reason doesn't have to be 'a' Creator in a religious sense - But don't tell me Evolution is anything more than
observation by a speices, Human, that neither understands himself nor the process that he is a part of.

Now if you want to come up with something more plausible like - Evolution is part of an 'alien' 'genetic experiment'
whose goals we can not yet understand - Then Humans maybe you will begin to understand.

And have you noticed that genetic sexual breeding, and all of Evolution for that matter, is experimental in nature?

Do you really think that is accidental or by design?

Of course you can't say by design as you may then be accused by scientific priests of believing in Intelligent Design
- Right, its all accidental and coincidental and the Multiverse is nothing but pot-luck !?!?!

- AlienView

edit on 15-5-2018 by AlienView because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 15 2018 @ 06:27 AM
link   

The THEORY of Evolution is so full of holes it's incredible that people consider it settled science.
One glaring hole that redpilled me on this being nothing more than theory is the Cambrian explosion.
Evolution just can't explain it.

evolutionnews.org...

posted on May, 15 2018 @ 07:16 AM
link   
a reply to: 99problems

The THEORY of evolution makes a lot more sense to me than "God did it" there's absolutely zero evidence that any god did it. And which god? The Abrahamic one, Odin, Zamba? Heck there's over a hundred to choose from on wiki.
Creator Gods on wiki
All with wildly differing myths, the only thing they have in common is there is not a shred of evidence to support their claims, but yeah, god did it lol

posted on May, 15 2018 @ 08:06 AM
link   
a reply to: CornishCeltGuy

And nobody is arguing that from a scientific point of view ccg, what is being asked for is evidence about the science of evolution

99 problems is asking about the Cambrian explosion and what settled science is.
I think that's a valid question in the circumstances

Why not deal with the question

posted on May, 15 2018 @ 08:10 AM
link   

originally posted by: AlienView
Never too late too learn is it?

I understand some basic facts about 'so-called' Evolution - And they make sense.

But what I don't unerstand is WHY? - I would not for a moment say i believe in Creationism - But at least there, unplausable as it may be - there is an anwer to why.

Now scientific geniuses who always come up with answers to cause and effect - Please enlighten me - Why does biological
life:

1. Occur in a universe that as far as is known is completely inorganic?

2. Why does it evolve - And then evolve into extremely diverse patterns of life?

3. Why does it eventually come up with a being, Man, that can reflect upon itself and the exsistent patterns of life?

No the reason doesn't have to be 'a' Creator in a religious sense - But don't tell me Evolution is anything more than
observation by a speices, Human, that neither understands himself nor the process that he is a part of.

Now if you want to come up with something more plausible like - Evolution is part of an 'alien' 'genetic experiment'
whose goals we can not yet understand - Then Humans maybe you will begin to understand.

And have you noticed that genetic sexual breeding, and all of Evolution for that matter, is experimental in nature?

Do you really think that is accidental or by design?

Of course you can't say by design as you may then be accused by scientific priests of believing in Intelligent Design
- Right, its all accidental and coincidental and the Multiverse is nothing but pot-luck !?!?!

- AlienView

I agree with your comments in its entirety

The alien thing though, we are just taking the question off world, the question still remains, just in another place.
How did the aliens come about?

posted on May, 15 2018 @ 08:19 AM
link   

Why do you keep saying 'settled science' when it is the 'theory' of evolution. Science can adapt its theory anytime as new knowledge is discovered, because well, it's a theory.
Who are these people you claim are telling you science has all the answers about evolution? Evolved we have though, and continue to do so, or do you not believe species evolve?

posted on May, 15 2018 @ 08:49 AM
link   

originally posted by: CornishCeltGuy

Why do you keep saying 'settled science' when it is the 'theory' of evolution. Science can adapt its theory anytime as new knowledge is discovered, because well, it's a theory.
Who are these people you claim are telling you science has all the answers about evolution? Evolved we have though, and continue to do so, or do you not believe species evolve?

I thought that was my question, thought that was what this thread is all about,mwhat the question in the op was all about, why I have copped so much flak

You agree with me, it's not settled then?

I don't believe in any evolution above a micro scale

new topics

top topics

<< 6  7  8    10  11  12 >>

join