It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Knifeman killed by Paris police - reports (BBC)

page: 1

join
share:

posted on May, 12 2018 @ 03:03 PM
link   
Police in Paris shoot man dead after he stabs several people in the Opera district, French media say
Link

And that's it for the moment ...

BFM news (in frensh)
Live link
8 wounded in knife attack
motives unknown

2 of the wounded are between life and death (Bfm)

No papers on the guy
The "who Are You" guys are on site

*Evidently, the usual 'rumours' are flying (22.50) french time)*

edit on 12-5-2018 by Cassi3l because: (no reason given)

edit on 12-5-2018 by Cassi3l because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 12 2018 @ 03:22 PM
link   
a reply to: Cassi3l

When someone is bent on killing,

Gun control wont stop killings???

There are always knives.......

posted on May, 12 2018 @ 03:25 PM
link   
Dear France,

you might want to follow sadiq khan, and try to start a knife ban.

PS

Which narrative comes out

the police are racist for shooting the knife person(we don't know what his preferred pronoun is/was)

the white knife person, was racist for killing non-whites

the non-white person, because of the racism towards that human is the reasons they went on a stabbing spree

or

Because of Trump's policies, they went on a stabbing spree

posted on May, 12 2018 @ 03:27 PM
link   
a reply to: eletheia

or trucks

or pressure cookers

or pipe bombs

or propane tanks

and the list goes on and on

posted on May, 12 2018 @ 03:44 PM
link   
Thank God the guy didn't have a gun !

What more carnage could he have done
in a busy, saturday-night populated street
in central Paris, on a Springtime evening

posted on May, 12 2018 @ 07:42 PM
link   

originally posted by: Cassi3l
Thank God the guy didn't have a gun !

What more carnage could he have done
in a busy, saturday-night populated street
in central Paris, on a Springtime evening

Similar to the carnage when a bunch of terrorists used black market fully automatic weapons to kill civilian and cop alike? Funny how you all ignore that incident...

Your comment should read.
Thankfully this person didn't have the funds to buy a gun from one of the many black market dealers in Paris.
edit on 12-5-2018 by JAY1980 because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 12 2018 @ 10:19 PM
link   
Update after the dust has settled
Nutter goes on a rampage,
kills 1, wounds 4

A knifeman killed one person and injured four others, one of them critically, before being shot dead by police in Paris.

The attacker struck in one of the most popular areas of the city, near the celebrated opera house and theatres.
Pierre Gaudin, a spokesman for the police prefecture, said the man attacked shortly before 9pm.

“One person has died of their injuries,” Gaudin said, adding that two others had been seriously injured and taken to hospital.

The knifeman, dressed entirely in black, lunged at people at random crying “Allahu Akbar”, according to witnesses. This was confirmed by public prosecutor François Molins.

He was carrying no identity papers, making it harder for police to identify him. Yvan Assiona, a spokesman for the police union Alliance described the attacker as “bearded, with long hair”.

A waiter on duty near the opera house, named only as Jonathan, described the attack, which happened in front of his restaurant.

“The attacker was walking in the street, armed with a knife. He had a lot of blood on his hands. He was walking in the road and stopping at all the shops. He was threatening everyone who crossed his path.”

He added: “He threatened a woman and her companion came to defend her and was threatened as well. Then he moved on to the next restaurant and attacked it. I wasn’t particularly worried, I was under the impression he was mad or drugged up.”

Link

posted on May, 13 2018 @ 02:29 AM
link   
When these dreadful incidents happen its unusual for the media, particularly left wing ones like the BBC, to give a description of the attacker.

Yet with this incident guess what's the headline on the BBC...

"Paris knife attack: Suspect 'born in Russia's Chechnya'"

www.bbc.co.uk...

So I guess it's OK if the attacker originated from Russia, it's even worthy to be put on the headline...
edit on 83031bAmerica/ChicagoSun, 13 May 2018 02:31:16 -05003118 by 83Liberty because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 13 2018 @ 05:37 AM
link   
I find it quite striking that on ATS after some mass shooting event in America (because lets face it, its usually in America) if I or anyone else makes a point about gun-control then all the usual suspects get all up in arms about it, "now is not the time", I am often told, then usually a friendly mod will turn up to remove my post as "off-topic".

What I find interesting is that when its the other way around, the attitude seems very different. Lets take this attack for example or others where trucks have been used, then its ok to make a point about gun control. Its ok to say "so much for stricter gun laws" if someone uses a knife or truck to kill. The implied point being that a killer will always find a way and as such its wrong to blame the gun therefore gun control is "bad" and does not work. So in these instances it becomes ok to make a gun control point because that seems to fit with the agenda on ATS.

Now the counter point is quite obvious, this guy had one knife and managed to kill one person and injures a few others, if he had pistol with 12 rounds in it and a couple of extra magazines then he would have killed and inured many more. Like I said above a killer is always going to find a way if motivated enough, give him a gun and a couple of clips worth of ammunition then he is going to cause way more carnage than if he has a couple of knifes.

So this guy had a knife, if he had a gun this would have been much worse, so lets not pretend that events like this somehow support the idea that stricter gun control is a bad idea.
edit on 13-5-2018 by OtherSideOfTheCoin because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 13 2018 @ 05:53 AM
link   
a reply to: OtherSideOfTheCoin

I am sure its great comfort to the family of the dead person that they were stabbed to death rather than shot.
/end sarcasm
============
just saw this guy was on a watch list of some sort for radicalization, and that got me thinking almost always in the states authorities were aware of the killer but could do nothing about it because they hadn't broken a law yet.

Which makes me think of the patriot act, we have to spy on our citizens so we can identify the bad people, but we still cant do anything about it because they havent broken a law yet.

Yet people will demand the govt do something about this stuff, and the govt will pass yet another law allowing them to probe deeper into their citizens lives and still not be able to do anything till a law is broken.

Please note I am not advocating for pre-crime arrests, I just want the govt to get the frack out of my life, I am tired of infringements on my life for "the greater good" that doesnt really stop bad guys from attacks like this.

/end rant

I now return you to your reguarly scheduled polical circle jerk.

posted on May, 13 2018 @ 05:55 AM
link   
a reply to: Irishhaf

I am sure its great comfort to the family of the dead person that they were stabbed to death rather than shot.

Probably not but am sure its a bit of a relief for the people who he stabbed but did not kill, I will take a couple of knife wounds over a few bullet wounds any day.

posted on May, 13 2018 @ 06:53 PM
link   
a reply to: OtherSideOfTheCoin

Well by the looks of things and the way they're headed, you may get your wish, soon.

posted on May, 13 2018 @ 07:25 PM
link   

If the guy had a gun he would have killed many more people though, so there are families that would have lost members of that family that must be very happy this murderer didnt have a gun....

posted on May, 13 2018 @ 07:57 PM
link   

originally posted by: hopenotfeariswhatweneed

If the guy had a gun he would have killed many more people though, so there are families that would have lost members of that family that must be very happy this murderer didnt have a gun....

Then by that same token these families might be disappointed that law abiding citizens can't get guns to defend themselves from knife wielding lunatics. Because lets face it, a gun in the hands of a good citizen beats a knife wielding lunatic any day!

posted on May, 13 2018 @ 08:26 PM
link   

That's your opinion.. just like in my opinion if citizens had the capability to defend themselves (and in Europe you are not supposed to defend yourself) then maybe nobody dies.

posted on May, 13 2018 @ 08:34 PM
link   

originally posted by: Irishhaf

That's your opinion.. just like in my opinion if citizens had the capability to defend themselves (and in Europe you are not supposed to defend yourself) then maybe nobody dies.

That is my opinion, i use the school shootings and other shootings like the vegas one as examples, if the vegas guy only had a knife do you think he could have killed as many people ?

posted on May, 13 2018 @ 08:47 PM
link   

originally posted by: NoCorruptionAllowed

Then by that same token these families might be disappointed that law abiding citizens can't get guns to defend themselves from knife wielding lunatics. Because lets face it, a gun in the hands of a good citizen beats a knife wielding lunatic any day!

In Europe people generally do not want to carry guns around, its only really the U.S where people want to carry guns everywhere they go.

posted on May, 13 2018 @ 09:14 PM
link   

originally posted by: NoCorruptionAllowed

In Europe people generally do not want to carry guns around, its only really the U.S where people want to carry guns everywhere they go.

The majority of the US doesn't carry a gun everywhere they go either.

Also my point earlier still stands, the law where I am living right now in Europe is pretty clear cut.
If someone kicks in the front door of my house I am to leave out the back door and not engage the invader at all, even if my pregnant wife is trapped upstairs.

They do not want you to defend yourself, you cant carry anything over a pen knife, I have been told my Shillelagh could be problematic as well because of the lead insert that adds durability to it.

They have built a culture that says using violence to defend yourself is wrong, and its one of the reason I have no urge to continue living in Europe.

posted on May, 13 2018 @ 10:18 PM
link   

The law may want you to run out the back door but we both know you wouldn't do that, sometimes the law is just wrong and clearly in that scenario you need to go and protect your pregnant wife.

I would argue in a society all sorts of inept laws are made by idiots who should never have been tasked with the job. Following the letter of the law is not beneficial for the majority of people.

posted on May, 13 2018 @ 10:37 PM
link   
a reply to: hopenotfeariswhatweneed

I would argue in a society all sorts of inept laws are made by idiots who should never have been tasked with the job. Following the letter of the law is not beneficial for the majority of people.

I would agree with you, but after a certain point of being told to always back down and always run away it will bleed over into other aspects of society.

Maybe I am looking at things from the wrong perspective, but europeans seem to be inclied to steer away from anything involving a confrontation.
But your mileage may vary with my observations. *shrugs*

top topics

join