It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

A true comic conspiracy

page: 1

join
share:

posted on May, 12 2018 @ 01:49 PM
link   
There is a YouTube channel that I follow called Diversity & Comics which reviews and offers certain critique of the comics purchased by the guy who runs the channel, Richard 'Zack' Myer. Now there are people in the comic trade industry, the kind of people who have significant influence within the sphere of their profession, who have taken an extreme dislike to Zack due to his political outlook and also because he gives honest criticism as to the decline of the comic book industry, blaming those who are responsible are the same people who have and continue to falsely accuse and harass Zack via social media.

Recently Zack, along with some well known and respected comic artists, set out to publish their own comic using indiegogo. With no mainstream comic news coverage the campaign has been a huge success and continues to receive backers. The downside to this has been that when Zack announced the company that would publish his comic, Antarctic Press, something shocking happened. The same people who are hating on Zack turned their vileness upon Antarctic Press and issued to them threats of a serious nature, so much so that AP changed their decision and declined to publish the comic.

In the video below Zack explains just what the heck is going on.

edit on 12-5-2018 by Tindalos2013 because: add videos

edit on 12-5-2018 by Tindalos2013 because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 12 2018 @ 02:36 PM
link   
a reply to: Tindalos2013

Or Zach is just lying for click bait..

I watch a lot of conicbook stuff so I have seen his videos..

Not all of them.. but I have watched him attemp to change every change the make in the comics back to some super secret comic conspiracy to demasculiize all the males or diversify whatever....

I find him and his other clickbait comrades s joke..

ANYONE who is a real comic book fan knows comics have only improved...
Storyline , continuity, art... you name it and it is better now than arguably ever..

If you doubt that go back and read a comic from the 60s.. they are trash..

Total trash.. sure they pulled a great storyline out of their butts rarely.. but overall .. they were trash..

They turned Thor into a frog..

THROG! lol

So if you were trying to make some untrue political point and bad story telling In your comic books is your “proof”. You can make that case constantly..

For comics it isn’t about trying to make some big culural change. They want to sell books and have ALWAYS thrown everything at the wall to see what stuck.

Always .. from day one..

Those like diversity in comics don’t even let the storyline rise or fall before blading it as part of some liberal agenda. When the truth is they have just already played out all of the last generations tropes and are trying new things.

Take Jane Austin Thor..... I think the vast majority of people loved the Jane Austin Thor storyline AND the unworthy Thor storyline and really it was kinda the catalyst for the Jane Austin Thor. Without Jane Austin Thor there is no unworthy thor storyline..

Everyone loved black nick fury..

Comics have always just thrown everything at the wall to see what stick, but past that it is kinda a dying medium...

Paper is almost totally dead and who pays for digital if they do t have to. So good luck making a small self published comic book fly.

posted on May, 12 2018 @ 03:41 PM
link   

I've been watching Diversity & Comics videos for over a year.

I really loved what he did to the Milkshake Crew, it was actually really funny.

By the way, love your Proxima avatar!

posted on May, 12 2018 @ 07:44 PM
link   
not familiar with details but

lots of 'First Amendment / Freedom of Speech!' shouting until it affects their $.

posted on May, 12 2018 @ 08:25 PM
link   

This man has my loyalty now. He is kick ass.
His enemies are mine.

I will buy his comic.

edit on 5 12 2018 by tadaman because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 13 2018 @ 01:28 AM
link   

Take Jane Austin Thor..... I think the vast majority of people loved the Jane Austin Thor storyline AND the unworthy Thor storyline and really it was kinda the catalyst for the Jane Austin Thor. Without Jane Austin Thor there is no unworthy thor storyline..

Well it totally sucks ... like everything else SJW PC whatever touches turns into fecalis maximus.

posted on May, 13 2018 @ 06:49 AM
link   
a reply to: JoshuaCox

Yes you have a good point. Identity politics have been all the rage for a while, maybe hopefully stsrting to die down a little now, but the effects will linger, and, like you said, they want to sell books. They know a certain section of society will spend money, in some way, on a "SJW version of _____", JUST to support The Cause, JUST because they think by buying That game, comic, movie, t shirt, etc, that they are giving a middle finger to all the imaginary oppressors out there.

They are wisely playing the field. Emotions = Dollars.

It's not the comic book guys trying to emasculate and "diversitize". They are just victims basically to the market forces which are heavily influenced by politics. Nobody wants to be the next victim of the SJW Leftist Bullies who will have the media club you over the head if you don't make sure to include some of their certain special-status groups.

I don't however buy your premise that they create an entire comic book just to see if it will "stick". There is a lot that goes into it before that. Like the obvious political climate tells you it's not a great moneymaking idea to have a bunch of straight white guys as all the main characters.

They didn't take a black or female character and say "let's remake them as a straight white guy... you know, just to see if it sticks? Just throwing out random ideas here..."

No, they specifically said to themselves, "oh crap! They are probably gonna accuse us of racism if we don't Do something!"

Don't make this like it was a happy accident or that they enjoyed it. I'm sure they found a way to make it fun but it wasn't an organic idea. These guys were battered into submission by the Borg Assimilation Crew, others wised up and followed suit. End of story.

There was nothing wrong with comics in the 90s. Black Nick Fury was different. It didn't have a forced feel to it, it just fit. That was what I would consider an appropriate character modernisation. It just sucks that all this other stuff basically was done at gun point, and all so suddenly, under this tense politic climate, so it feels like a forced agenda. That kind of spoils the magic for some folks who are still really into it, when it feels faked. But, like you said, they gotta sell books.
edit on 5/13/2018 by 3n19m470 because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 14 2018 @ 07:30 AM
link   

First oh hi, I mostly lurk here, so you'll not know me or that I'm an artist (you might be lucky to find one of my original sketches in the current 'Marvel Annual' trading card set).

What you should know is that your understanding of the situation is very one sided, there was no bullying from the 'SJW' brigade. In fact the only bullying came from Myer's supporters who targeted any retailers they found out hadn't ordered the book, regardless of what he's claiming otherwise. Once news of that hit other retailers they cancelled too, what with the comic community being small and supportive of each other.

Less orders leads to less sales, less sales leads a publishing company to question if putting the book out is a smart business move. They're in it to make cash, not support any amendments after all. Of course, it helps the decision along if the writer of said book then goes and puts up a YouTube video including libellous accusations including:

- Which kind of paedophiles Mark Waid, Dan Slott and Brian Bendis were. That Devin Grayson ‘literally sucked her way into the comic industry’ and that Waid ‘left his wife so he can go frickin’ hit on cosplay girls’.

- That Matt Santori-Griffith ‘is a #ing fag. He’s just this like flouncing-like super dramatic. Everything is rape, everything is harassment, everything bigotry. I’ve actually found that’s fairly common. One of the things is just like these people they don’t have lives they don’t have families.’

- That Heather Antos ‘is a cum dumpster who got a job at Marvel because… Jordan White is a sad sack perv who jacked off to her… the story is that she went and saw him at a convention. It’s like, I’d like to be an editor and he’s like, oh this is going to be a hard sell for HR. Like Jordan White’s going to go to Marvel HR, ‘I really need you to hire her. My spank bank is getting incredibly low’.’ That female editors at Marvel, as seen in the Milkshake photo ‘are literally just work-girlfriends for these creepy middle-aged or approaching middle aged-white guys who can’t get any girl to talk.’

The book didn't get canned because of an SJW witch hunt; it got canned because Myer's not the kind of person you want to be in business with.

posted on May, 14 2018 @ 05:55 PM
link   
a reply to: 3n19m470

Except identify politics have been around forever..

What do you think the kkk is/was?? Identity politics..

Pandering to evangelicals is identity politics..

None of that stuff is new, worse or reaching some critical mass.

Information has reached a critical mass. There are so many people online spouting nonsense that you can find someone saying anything to validate ones previously held biases.

Look at captain America comics right afte WW2.. the Japanese are the bad guys and drawn as cartoon stereotypes..

Falcon and John Stewart both started as cartoon stereotype pimps.

People used to realize internet commentors mean nothing...

Instead now they have become the foundation for the right Wing propaganda whores to base their “all the world is a leftist conspiracy against us “ narrative..

And those who like to follow just eat that stuff up like candy..

new topics

top topics

join