It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Politics and the movies.

page: 1
<<   2  3 >>

join
share:

posted on May, 12 2018 @ 01:21 PM
link   
So some of you may know am a pretty big Star Wars fan and all round fan of movies. I have recently became more active in movie forums as opposed to ATS however a few hours ago I came across a video that I think some on ATS might find to be quite thought provoking. The issue is the influence of politics in movies, I am sure we have all heard about the "SJWs" taking over movies. There is been outrage about this desperate quest for diversity in movies and movie making, or outrage from those who take issue with the political messages within a movie or indeed the views of those making the movies.

A key example of this is the newest iterations of the Star Wars movies, a lot of people on the internet claim to detest the movies not because of issues with the characters, plot, editing, sound track or overall making of the movie but principally because of the political messages they see behind the movies. I have seen this quite a bit, people talk about disliking the movie because of some political message they took away from the movie and then build on from there with other criticisms but at its very core the reason they "boycott" the movie is because of the political messages.

Anyway, I personally have always found this to be a bit of a stupid view point, I think if you direct a movie enough you will find political points being made and although I might not always agree with said political messages, I can still enjoy the movie. An example of this could be that although I find some movies might glorify or glamourise war and violence I can still enjoy the movie despite disagreeing with the political message of war glorification (just a example not the purpose of this thread). Despite this however I have always found it kind of difficult to properly articulate my views on those who state they hate a movie because of its political message.

Until now, a few hours ago I saw this video and it really resonated with me and I think that many members if they just take 10 minutes or so to watch it might also find it rather thought provoking.

posted on May, 12 2018 @ 01:41 PM
link   
a reply to: OtherSideOfTheCoin

Interesting vid, I see political messages in most movies, doesn't bother me if the acting, plot, etc is good.
I'm not arsed with Star Wars though, saw a couple as a kid but not seen any of the newer ones.

posted on May, 12 2018 @ 01:53 PM
link   
As the short clip points out, there has always been politics in the SW franchise. You had a pretty constant political theme for the first 3 that grew a huge fan base.

Then they changed the message. What did they expect?

posted on May, 12 2018 @ 02:06 PM
link   

Yea movies like Red sparrow or a wrinkle in time.

Even infinity war or avengers seems to have it. Good is starting to lose more and more and a lot of villians are always seemed to be portrayed with some kind of moral justification or seems as if they do everything they can to say make Thanos the villain but also loved or liked or at the least accepting of what he is trying to do.

I may read to far into things though.

posted on May, 12 2018 @ 02:11 PM
link   

I go to movies to escape and to be entertained.

If a movie gets too preachy, I leave.

Still watching Star Wars though.

posted on May, 12 2018 @ 02:12 PM
link   

originally posted by: randomthoughts12
Good is starting to lose more and more and a lot of villians are always seemed to be portrayed with some kind of moral justification or seems as if they do everything they can to say make Thanos the villain but also loved or liked or at the least accepting of what he is trying to do.

to me it doesn't seem to be about trying to make the villain lovable so much as it is rooting character motivations in an understandable place... which makes a more nuanced viewing experience, for me at least.

posted on May, 12 2018 @ 02:15 PM
link   
Iv'e said this before....

For those that don't like the movies being made or the political message being promoted; make your own movies or TV series.
The indy world is growing and vibrant.

Movie making is now a desk top enterprise, from the first draft of the script to the final edit. And there are a lot of platforms for your movie to be shown. Tell your story!! And perhaps make a few $$$. We just had one picked up by netflix.

We started with this software. And a Camera from Walmart, lights from Lowes, sound from Musicians Friend, and tutorials from youtube. Thanks to public access TV for the producer credentials and SAG/AFTRA new media for their support.

www.celtx.com...

Join us...

It Rocks in Tamalewood...

abqstudios.com...
edit on 12-5-2018 by olaru12 because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 12 2018 @ 02:15 PM
link   

The new Star Wars film was a steeming turd and that's without taking the politics into account.
The whole franchise was a rip off of older films and they did have undeniable political and moral messages. We can accept that sort of thing from movies but not as the in your face plot point. Star Wars was an action packed adventure about good overcoming evil. The last Jedi was different.

Great characters need to be relatable and have flaws that they must overcome. We didn't get that here. We got Mary Sues.
Luke took three movies to gain the skills to defeat Vader.
Rey defeated a trained Jedi the first time she touched a light saber.
She has no flaws.
Then throw in a few useless women to gain diversity "rose"
Now make the men useless cowards "Finn"

Way to much message and not enough story.

Don't give me any "afraid of strong women" crap either.
Nothing could be further from the truth.
There are lots of strong female in movies that should be admired.

Ripely from the alien franchise.
Sarah Connor from terminator.
Furiosa from fury road.
Lorraine from atomic blonde.

All well written characters.

posted on May, 12 2018 @ 02:31 PM
link   
a reply to: Bluntone22

they are all fair criticisms.

Actually one that I woulds share is the whole Mary Sue thing, the problem is that they have a in-cannon explanation that is only actually revealed in the novelisation that makes sense why she is so powerful. Essentially it was due to the bridging of Klyo and her mind by snoke. The problem I have is that you have to read a book to get that and I also think its a bit of a cheap explanation.

posted on May, 12 2018 @ 02:38 PM
link   
Lucas showed his colors when he sold Star Wars under Bush, because he didn't want to pay the higher taxes under Obama.

Usually diversity means you are hiring a candidate that isn't as qualified, because you are putting physical qualities over ability.

if you hire the best people, you usually get a better show. I submit for your approval, COUPLING: The original English version is one of my favorite shows, the american version..not so much. They use basically the same script, but the quality and the unity of the casts are so different.

2nd submission: saved by the bell: They hired the best actors,which happened to be 2 white girls, 1 black girl, 2 white guys, and a Latino. If they hired all white people, that show would not have been as good.

When Disney Star Wars, throws a random Asian female general in the movie, you know they did it because she is a female and Asian. not because she was the best, and it does hurt the movie.

posted on May, 12 2018 @ 02:41 PM
link   
funny you never hear people calling james bond a mary sue...

posted on May, 12 2018 @ 02:45 PM
link   

originally posted by: ClovenSky
Then they changed the message. What did they expect?

What was the message and what was it changed to?

posted on May, 12 2018 @ 02:46 PM
link   

originally posted by: SocratesJohnson

Lucas showed his colors when he sold Star Wars under Bush...

Lucasfilm was sold in 2012, check your timeline.

posted on May, 12 2018 @ 02:49 PM
link   
a reply to: SocratesJohnson

Did you watch the video....

posted on May, 12 2018 @ 02:49 PM
link   

I think the plot sucked.

A rouge escapade that went nowhere. The end where a suicide sacrifice takes out snokes ship.

That had ships dropping like flies running out of fuel so they wait till the very last one for such a plan. Stupid.

Bombing run in space. So space ships have gravity?

Big build up on snoke. Opps... he died by being an idiot we still don't know who the hell he was.

So much more was poorly done.

If the movie plot was worth a damn(it wasn't) then none of the political stuff would stand out. Put all the political overtones they want in and I would be happy. Unfortunately the subpar plot and character development made all political crap stand out more than the story.

posted on May, 12 2018 @ 02:52 PM
link   
a reply to: Grimpachi

So most of your concerns are addressed in the cannon but this thread is not really so much about Star Wars as it’s more about the problems that come with disliking a movie based on its political message.

Did you watch the video??

posted on May, 12 2018 @ 02:55 PM
link   

originally posted by: Bluntone22

Luke took all of one day to learn the Force and destroy the Death Star.

posted on May, 12 2018 @ 02:57 PM
link   
Lately I've noticed myself annoyed by many television shows and movies. Many of which I expect myself to enjoy. I began to wonder why this was. Was everything coming out just garbage? Am I getting old and no longer hip?

I don't think it is the politicizing and referencing of current hot-topic issues. This has always been going on. The problem is that I am bombarded all day every day with news. I see politics dramatized 24/7 on television, internet, and with nearly everyone I talk to.

When I want to escape into a movie...there is more of the same and I am immediately turned off.

posted on May, 12 2018 @ 02:59 PM
link   

originally posted by: AugustusMasonicus

originally posted by: Bluntone22

Luke took all of one day to learn the Force and destroy the Death Star.

So many massive plot holes in a new hope it’s funny. Still it’s amazing, I think sometimes you have to just sit back and enjoy the ride

posted on May, 12 2018 @ 03:00 PM
link   

originally posted by: OtherSideOfTheCoin
So many massive plot holes in a new hope it’s funny. Still it’s amazing, I think sometimes you have to just sit back and enjoy the ride

But muh politics.

top topics

<<   2  3 >>

join