It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

A Narrative – [Tough Love TL2018]

page: 1

join
share:

posted on May, 12 2018 @ 09:57 AM
link   
It was the decision of the officials of both the city and county to consolidate the two school systems. This was intended to save money and the duplication of services to the area.

Because of this, Mike and Beth met on the first day of their junior year in high school. As luck sometimes plays important roles in relationships, their class schedules were exactly the same. It was little wonder they began spending all their class time together and often one would call upon the other for aid when doing their home work. And as they spent more and more time together, their relationship changed from one of two high school kids doing their studies to one with deeper emotions and desires.

Beth had grown up in the city and had no knowledge of the rural life from which Mike had come. Mike had been raised on a farm and had only been to the fringes of the city where the school was located. Even here he felt the place as being too crowded and confining for someone with his background. As the months past, they began to date on a steady basis and then began to talk of marriage and a family.

After graduation, Mike got work in a local factory. He and Beth married and moved into a small house on a back road near his parents. He left for work early each day and came home just before dark. This left Beth alone in this new world of solitude and she soon began to appreciate its benefits. She went for walks through the forest or sat under a big tree in the yard and read for hours.

Many times, knowing Mike would soon be there, she would shower and still be wet when he walked in. She said this was to be as clean and fresh as she could for her lover’s return. Mike, being a man, never had any problems with this greeting and always took advantage of it. Even though they had often talked about starting a family, Beth wanted to wait because she still enjoyed their time together so much.

One day, while at work, Mike began to not feel well and ask his boss if he could leave early and get some extra rest. His boss was a tolerant man so he said yes and Mike left at lunch. As he approached his house, he noticed a strange car parked in the yard. He thought it odd as this was the same car which he had met on the road several times as he was going home after work.

The only thing he could think of was his Beth cheating on him. At first he was enraged with anger, but he didn’t stop. He went on by and waited about going home. Maybe it was some of her family who had come to visit. If he stormed in and accused her of cheating, it could have a bad effect on their marriage. He knew he was “experienced” before they were married, and he knew she was not. Maybe the solitude of the rural life had made her miss what could have been and it might be good to just let her get such feelings out of her system without making a big fuss about it.

So he waited a while and continued to meet the same car from time to time and then it stopped. He knew what this would look like if anyone ever found out, but he loved Beth enough to let it go and keep her as happy as he could.

One Saturday in a hardware store, Mike met up with Beth’s father. As the talked, Beth’s father told Mike he was glad to see they were getting on their feet financially. And Beth’s new car looked much nicer than the old one he had seen at their house before. Even though he had not had time to stop in, he could tell it was a nice one. Mike only smiled and went on talking about other things.

The next week, Mike told his boss that he had a few errands to run and left work early. Getting home he saw a different car setting in his yard and he knew it was the one Beth’s father had mentioned. Mike sat in his car, parked out of site from the house, only a few yards away. Even though it was getting cold and beginning to rain, he sat and waited for the car to leave.

After it left, he gave himself enough time to get home like he always did. When he opened the door to walk in, there was his Beth. As usual she was still wet from her shower, wearing nothing but a silken robe, and glowing like a newlywed bride.

Mike quickly grabbed her by one hand and began to pull her toward the door. He didn’t stop there; he kept on dragging her out into the rain, across the wet grassy yard, and pushed her into the car. Getting in without speaking a word, Mike drove all the way back into the city and to her parent’s apartment building. He then reached over, opened the door on the passenger’s side, and pushed Beth out onto the street. Standing up, Beth began to scream at Mike, asking him what he was doing and why; all the time standing there in nothing but that muddy silken robe.

“I caught you cheating and I’m giving you back to your father”, yelled Mike.
“The first guy, I let it slide out of pity, but the second was too much.”

“Well, what am I supposed to do out here tonight?” Beth shouted back.
“There’s no body home and I am freezing. Just what do you call this?”

“All I can say to someone like you is … Tough, Love.” Mike replied as he drove away.

THE END

posted on May, 12 2018 @ 11:45 AM
link   
I like it, great story

posted on May, 12 2018 @ 11:59 AM
link   
a reply to: verschickter

Much thanks.

I like to twist twist the knife at the end.

posted on May, 14 2018 @ 08:29 PM
link   
a reply to: tinymind

Another sad one.

Well done!

posted on May, 19 2018 @ 05:00 AM
link   

Grim, but I liked it

posted on May, 25 2018 @ 10:21 AM
link   
a reply to: SprocketUK

This ^^^.

Affairs are so bitter. The whole time I was like, "no there's going to be an explanation. She's got a reason."
Nope. Fist => Gut. Ouch.

Tiny - you're not a poser. Don't be so hard on yourself, and keep writing!

posted on May, 26 2018 @ 10:19 AM
link   
a reply to: PrairieShepherd

Thanks for the kind words.
I do enjoy writing, just can't spell worth a flip. Takes a lot of time, even using spell check.

posted on May, 26 2018 @ 10:59 AM
link   

All writers struggle with something, some of us - like myself - struggle with several things. It’s an art, and even a master artist is neither perfect or satisfied (typically). Keep writing and trying to overcome the challenge, you’ll do fine.

top topics

join