It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

NASA Will Fly Helicopter UAV on Mars in 2020

page: 1

join
share:

posted on May, 12 2018 @ 09:42 AM
link   

This isnt our normal faire on ATS' Aviation Projects. 90% of the time, we are talking military projects of one stripe or another. The rest of the time, it's civilian projects like new airliners or even the oncoming wave of flying taxis. Occasionally, rockets slip in here, but that's not really appropriate and ought to be on the space channel. Today, however, we have a mashup of space and aviation, and it's a legit mashup.

NASA is sending a cubesat sized helicopter to Mars on the Mars 2020 rover. That means its really, really small. A cubesat by definition is 10 cm (4in) on all four sides and ways less than 1 1/3 kg (3 lbs). This one is a bit heavier, as I understand at 1.8 kg. The Mars Copter will be flying at would be the equivalent of 100,000 ft on earth, what's considered pretty much space. It does this through spinning the rotor at 3k rpm. The intent is that the mission be a tech demonstration and I have to admit, it will be an exciting one...

www.parabolicarc.com...

newatlas.com...

(psst: NASA is also considering sending a quadcopter UAV to TItan. I am really,really surprised they are not considering a balloon of some sort, but...

futureplanets.blogspot.com...)

posted on May, 12 2018 @ 09:59 AM
link   
Starred because I l love this idea and thanks for sharing! I honestly think this is the future for exploring Mars given how slow the rovers move. Imagine a fleet of these with HD cams sending back images. We could map so much terrain so quickly and then divert the rovers to points of interest.

Brilliant

posted on May, 12 2018 @ 10:03 AM
link   
Already posted.

Please direct your comments here:

www.abovetopsecret.com...

Thread closed.

join