It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Russian Facebook Ads: Sowing Racial Discord

page: 1

join
share:

posted on May, 12 2018 @ 08:48 AM
link   
I have never quite understood what the issue was with Russians buying Facebook Ads during the election. Can someone tell me if it's illegal for foreign countries to buy Facebook Ads?

However, I just read an interesting article that gave some insight into why the Democratic Party has been so apoplectic about them.

Young Mie Kim, a University of Wisconsin-Madison researcher who published some of the first scientific analysis of social media influence campaigns during the election, said the ads show that the Russians are attempting to destabilize Western Democracy by targeting extreme identity groups. “Effective polarization can happen when you’re promoting the idea that, ‘I like my group, but I don’t like the other group’ and pushing distance between the two extreme sides,” Kim said. “And we know the Russians targeted extremes and then came back with different negative messages that might not be aimed at converting voters, but suppressing turnout and undermining the democratic process.”

Here is a link to the article that contains the quoted text. www.cincinnati.com...

I now have a better understanding of why the Democratic Party is so concerned over Internet Ads and their potential detrimental affects on our politics. It seems that the Russians are copying the Democratic Party's approach to politics and cutting into their turf. No wonder they are so worried about it all.

posted on May, 12 2018 @ 09:57 AM
link   
Is there anything you lot dont blame on russia ?

posted on May, 12 2018 @ 10:05 AM
link   

originally posted by: VengefulGhost
Is there anything you lot dont blame on russia ?

I am sorry if I wasn't clear. I didn't really "blame" anything on Russia. I was just pointing out that the Democratic Party feels threatened by Russian Facebook ads, because the Russians co-opted the Democratic platform of race baiting. I am still trying to figure out how if it is bad for our country for the Russians to race bait on Facebook why it's not also bad for our country when the Democrats race bait on every media platform. Their whole politics are based on dividing identity groups. It seems as though that would also undermine the stability of our country.

I don't know if the Democratic party should feel threatened or not. It doesn't seem that anybody has mastered sowing racial discord quite as well as they have, but I guess like any big business you want to knock your competitors out early.
edit on 12-5-2018 by MRinder because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 12 2018 @ 10:07 AM
link   
Many of the "Russian ads" were literally just reposts of news stories from American MSM outlets. People all over the world use Facebook, so of course the occasional Russian will post something on it. The entire thing is just wordplay and mind games to try to trick the public into thinking the Russian government has some official program to use Facebook as a weapon to attack the US. You could use the exact same narrative about any other country... "People with ties to Canada own a company that bought a political advertisement on Facebook! Canada is trying to overthrow the US!" - When in reality, some Canadian used-car salesman shared a link from CNN on his personal page that one person clicked on.
edit on 5/12/2018 by trollz because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 12 2018 @ 10:24 AM
link   
I wonder if anybody has found the top 10 ads and how those swayed 30 million votes ?

Guess what.

downloads
😃
edit on May-12-2018 by xuenchen because: ⏳

posted on May, 12 2018 @ 10:25 AM
link   
a reply to: trollz

One would think that the Democratic party and the Russians would team up since they both have very similar beliefs and goals.

posted on May, 12 2018 @ 10:29 AM
link   

originally posted by: MRinder
a reply to: trollz

One would think that the Democratic party and the Russians would team up since they both have very similar beliefs and goals.

"Rumors" say they did with U1

😎🚬

posted on May, 12 2018 @ 11:06 AM
link   
a reply to: xuenchen

Well I am not the smartest guy on Earth but the evidence would lead one to believe that it's more likely the Democrats colluded work the Russians than Trump did. I mean we know Democrats have way more ideology in common with Russians than Trump, Russians and Democrats use the same tactics to sow racial discord to undermine the USA, and we know that Hillary paid for the Russian report regarding the great Trump hooker piss fantasy.

posted on May, 12 2018 @ 11:09 AM
link   

off-topic post removed to prevent thread-drift

posted on May, 12 2018 @ 12:10 PM
link   
operative word is 'troll'.

I don't think Putin cared who won. I think they just wanted to sow discord. which they did, but not enough to cause too many problems.
imagine if it had been like 2000 and one state decided the election and it was contested. antifa would have been all over the place.
edit on 12-5-2018 by ElGoobero because: clarify

posted on May, 12 2018 @ 05:49 PM
link   
I can just picture Vlad, wringing his hands, doing the evil laugh.........."They are falling right into my little trap"........."Muhahahahahahahahahahhahahaha!!!!!"

posted on May, 12 2018 @ 06:02 PM
link   
Russians my a@@.

The entire msm, hollywood, schools, whatever platform can be found is being used for division.

The divide and distract, while we rape and pillage is in full effect.

The whole game of the gov is operated this way.

Throw out a turd sandwich, then another with puke on it, so we are happy with our turd sandwich.

We are the stupid slaves that are working so they don't have to, we are paying for their families.

It's all a giant corrupt pile of bs, now pick your teams and fight amongst yourselves.

edit on 5 by Mandroid7 because: Added2

posted on May, 12 2018 @ 06:23 PM
link   

new topics

top topics

join