It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Oklahoma Republican vetos constitutional carry.

page: 2
<< 1    3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on May, 12 2018 @ 01:31 AM
link   
a reply to: Whoisjohngalt

The guy that wants to infrequently sell his old guns to buy a new gun or the guy that wants to sell a shotgun to his friend are excluded because it would be too much of a burden on them to go through all that trouble and the extra cost.

What cost is involved? Does NICS (as faulty as it is) cost a lot of money? Isn't the "burden" worth making sure someone who should not own a gun does not buy one?

edit on 5/12/2018 by Phage because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 12 2018 @ 01:36 AM
link   
a reply to: Phage

Where im at, it is $25 and the dealer you go through can charge another $10.

posted on May, 12 2018 @ 01:37 AM
link   

Ah. So it's not worth worth making sure someone who should not own a gun does not buy one.

posted on May, 12 2018 @ 01:41 AM
link   

Nope. As i said earlier, guns acquired that way account for such a small portion of crimes that its not worth it. Not only that, but it can be used by the government to create a registry of gun owners.

posted on May, 12 2018 @ 01:43 AM
link   

As i said earlier, guns acquired that way account for such a small portion of crimes that its not worth it.

Are there records kept that make it possible to determine those statistics?

Is it a crime to sell a gun to someone who cannot legally own a gun?

Excuse all the questions. I'm obviously ignorant about a lot of this.

posted on May, 12 2018 @ 02:08 AM
link   

If you want raw unbiased, well atleast unbiased by me, statistics...
www.politifact.com...

When you get to this paragraph....

About 48 percent of state prison inmates surveyed saidthey got the gun they used from a family member, friend, gun store, pawn shop, flea market, or gun show. Most states only require a background check if the purchase happens at a gun store, according to the Giffords Center to Prevent Gun Violence.

The word said contains a hyperlink that with open a pdf that contains the statistics from the interviews of the prisoners. Either way you fall on this issue, its good information to have. The info you are looking for is on page 13.

edit on 12-5-2018 by Whoisjohngalt because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 12 2018 @ 02:12 AM
link   

About 48 percent of state prison inmates surveyed said said they got the gun they used from a family member, friend, gun store, pawn shop, flea market, or gun show.
So it seems it would be better if such transactions were controlled? Is that your point? I know gun stores sales are. What about the rest?

posted on May, 12 2018 @ 02:16 AM
link   

Negative. I was posting that so you would know where the link to actual data was.

posted on May, 12 2018 @ 02:19 AM
link   

I saw the link.
I don't see what it has to do with what I asked here (which is what you replied to):
www.abovetopsecret.com...

posted on May, 12 2018 @ 02:33 AM
link   

Yes it is illegal to sell a gun to someone you have reason to believe cant own a firearm. If your cousin who you know spent time in prison wants to buy a firearm and you sell it to him, that is a crime.

I was trying to get you a link to the statistics. There is not really an official what was used where and how compilation of gun crimes. The best ive ever seen was the survey of prisoners, which stated that .8% got their guns from gun shows, .6% got them from flea markets, and 12.2% bought from a relative or friend 14.1% borrowed from a relative or friend.

posted on May, 12 2018 @ 02:37 AM
link   

So. Background checks are a stupid idea? Because they are a pain in the ass?

posted on May, 12 2018 @ 02:55 AM
link   

More or less. I mean, you can phrase it however you like, but I wouldnt support mandatory background checks because it is giving the government too much power, imposing too high a cost and burden, for too little results. You might think thats some kind of horrible monstrous thing, but thats the kind of judgement we make as a society all the time. What if we put those breathalyzer that drunks get in EVERY CAR. That way no one could start their car when drunk. Think of all the lives we could save. But we dont do that cause it would be a pain in the ass.

posted on May, 12 2018 @ 03:00 AM
link   

People who can't legally drive can't get a driver's license.

People who can't legally own a gun, can buy one. Easily.

posted on May, 12 2018 @ 03:08 AM
link   

Not without someone else breaking the law. Its illegal to sell a gun to someone who you think cant own one.
edit on 12-5-2018 by Whoisjohngalt because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 12 2018 @ 03:10 AM
link   

Its illegal to sell a gun to someone who you think cant own one.

Yeah.
So easy to say, "I didn't know" because, you know, no background checks.

posted on May, 12 2018 @ 03:10 AM
link   

Its also illegal for them to commit crimes with the gun. And to commit crimes

posted on May, 12 2018 @ 03:11 AM
link   

Is that a fact?

posted on May, 12 2018 @ 03:13 AM
link   

A question for you. If someone is too dangerous to own a gun, why are they allowed out of prison, or their institution?

posted on May, 12 2018 @ 03:14 AM
link   

Because they served their court ordered term.

posted on May, 12 2018 @ 03:21 AM
link   

And thats when the punishment ends right?
So then why are they forced to live like second class citizens who cant vote, cant own a gun, and are relegated to the lowest paying jobs?

new topics

top topics

<< 1    3  4 >>

join